From: Anthony Iannone <aiannone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: 4mb PCMCIA SRAM in Poqet Classic
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:55:22 -0500

Hi...

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with 4mb SRAM cards in
their Poqet classics... It should work just fine, but how do I format -
will 2mformat work?

Also, does anyone have the win.ini file for Windows 3.0 that rectifies
the inverted colour problem?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony Iannone
aiannone@xxxxxxxx

RE: 4mb SRAM & Windows .ini settings by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: 4mb SRAM & Windows .ini settings
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:58:24 -0400

Hi Anthony (and all),

This is the first time I'm hearing that a 4mb SRAM card exists, could you
let us know its details and perhaps how to get one?  Is it 3 volts?  (Sorry,
don't know anything about the formatting problem, how about checking with
the manufacturer?)

As far as I know, there's nothing that worked about inverting the pixel
state with the Poqet for a *true* color scheme solution for running Windows
(Mason said it wasn't possible with the Poqet, but I don't know why)
however, the next best thing is to invert all the colors that you can set
yourself through Control Panel and then some.  There are a few more color
changes that can be enabled if know the correct ini line.  All of these
extra controls should be listed in the hard-to-get Win3.0 Resource Kit and
third party books.

Below are my ini settings that I am very satisifyed with; with these
settings Windows look 98% normal. (All except hard color coded icons and
such.)  There is *one* ini file for Windows2.03, "WIN.INI".  If you are
running Windows2.03, replace the [colors] section with this:

[colors]
Background=0 0 0
AppWorkspace=0 0 0
Window=0 0 0
WindowText=255 255 255
Menu=0 0 0
MenuText=255 255 255
ActiveTitle=255 255 255
InactiveTitle=0 0 0
TitleText=0 0 0
ActiveBorder=127 127 127
InactiveBorder=127 127 127
WindowFrame=255 255 255
Scrollbar=63 63 63

Below is my colors for Windows3.0. Replace the [colors] section of "WIN.INI"
with this:

[colors]

; Poqet colors, changed through Control Panel
Background=0 0 0
AppWorkspace=0 0 0
Window=0 0 0
WindowText=255 255 255
Menu=0 0 0
MenuText=255 255 255
ActiveTitle=255 255 255
InactiveTitle=128 128 128
TitleText=0 0 0
ActiveBorder=255 255 255
InactiveBorder=153 153 153
WindowFrame=255 255 255
Scrollbar=90 90 90
; Poqet colors, changed manually
ButtonFace=0   0   0
ButtonShadow=255 255 255
ButtonText=255 255 255
GreyText=0   0   0
Hilight=255 255 255
HilightText=0   0   0

Hope this helps.

Also, I was very, very (I'll say it again) very *happy* someone on the list
turned me on to http://abandonapps.cjb.net/. One of the best abandonwares
site that's not devoted to old school games, but actual serious
applications.  That is where I finally got my long sought after copy of
Windows1, and also 2.03.  Get it now while you can.  I think I may have seen
another site where Excel2.2 was listed and Windows3.0 but I cannot find it
any more (coulda sworn it was on this site), sorry.  If anyone finds it
please post.  Excel puts Lotus123 to shame.  Also, please check out
www.techknight.com for different versions of Windows1.

For those who want to run Window Applications more quickly, I suggest using
version 2, It can handle Excel fine, but File Manager only works with
version 3.

Happy Windowing...   -Bill

Windows Executive Tip by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Windows Executive Tip
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:47:27 -0400

I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut for using the Windows
Executive (a file manager) that is not so evident: that is using the
Backspace key to go to the parent directory.  Before that I was always using
the F10/(S)pecial/(C)hange Directory/<..> for parent or </> for root
directories.  This shortcut makes navagating with the Executive a pleasure.
Also, pressing a letter will jump to the first file that starts with that
letter, additional presses will highlight the next, etc.  Now, if I can only
find a shortcut for copy, paste and delete...

Now for my question, I've downloaded a text editor with large fonts called
20-20 Editor for DOS.  It works fine on my desktop but bombs the Poqet!  Has
anyone on the list had any success?

-Bill

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009