From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Sticky keys?? HELP!
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:22:19 -0400

Thank you Brian for your reply, I will try the two suggested solution
replies for sticky keys (aerosol electronic cleaner, and, soap and water)
when the situation becomes unbearable (thank goodness there's another
asterisk on the keyboard!)  But this bring me to the question I've had for a
long time about washing some parts for electronic equipment.  This was the
situation: I noticed that my remotes for my entertainment center stuff was
getting rather dirty form all the handling it gets.  It had built up grease
and grime on or around the control buttons.  I wasn't able to get it
thoroughly clean by just wiping it, so I carefully took it apart just to
clean the outer plastic casing and the molded rubber sheet that pokes
through some of the outer casing's holes to make up the keys to press.
After the careful washing and re-assembly, the remote stopped working.  I
suspect that I may have washed off a coating on the rubber that made it
conduct electricity.  Can anybody confirm if this may be a likely cause for
the problem AND if so, is there a name for this (spray?) and it's commercial
availability.

Your reply my help relinquish my fear about washing electronic parts in soap
and water.

   -Bill

From: Brian Schmalz <brian.s@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:17:04 -0500

For the record, the keys and the circuit board work great after washing them
with soap and water. Note: the repeating problem still existed! But no harm
done by washing.

The solution turned out to be a spring. Some of the keys (maybe all of them)
use two methods of returning the key to the up position after it has been
pushed down. The 'pop-out' effect of the rubber membrane, and a mechanical
spring. My problem was that the mechanical spring in the space bar was
pushing the membrane down. Thus, even without pressing the key, the contact
was being made and I had tons of spaces where there should have been none.
It seems that this intermittent contact also affected some other keys,
notably the delete key. Since removing the spring from the spacebar, I have
had no repeating problems. And I've tried to force it to happen again.

*Brian

RE: Sticky keys?? HELP! by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:57:28 -0400

Thank you Brian for your 2nd reply; I'm sorry *if* I led you to think that I
doubted that soap and water washing of the Poqet parts may cause damage, I
don't doubt it at all.  It was really about confirming my theory re. rubber
membranes of other electronic devices by anyone on the list.  Is there a
coating that can be applied to rubber to make it conductive to electricity?
(and also to know the best way to revive a presumably/hopefully *not* dead
2mb SRAM card.) -Bill

For the record, the keys and the circuit board work great after washing them
with soap and water. Note: the repeating problem still existed! But no harm
done by washing.

The solution turned out to be a spring. Some of the keys (maybe all of them)
use two methods of returning the key to the up position after it has been
pushed down. The 'pop-out' effect of the rubber membrane, and a mechanical
spring. My problem was that the mechanical spring in the space bar was
pushing the membrane down. Thus, even without pressing the key, the contact
was being made and I had tons of spaces where there should have been none.
It seems that this intermittent contact also affected some other keys,
notably the delete key. Since removing the spring from the spacebar, I have
had no repeating problems. And I've tried to force it to happen again.

*Brian

> Thank you Brian for your reply, I will try the two suggested solution
> replies for sticky keys (aerosol electronic cleaner, and,
> soap and water)
> when the situation becomes unbearable (thank goodness there's another
> asterisk on the keyboard!)  But this bring me to the question
> I've had for a
> long time about washing some parts for electronic equipment.
> This was the
> situation: I noticed that my remotes for my entertainment
> center stuff was
> getting rather dirty form all the handling it gets.  It had
> built up grease
> and grime on or around the control buttons.  I wasn't able to get it
> thoroughly clean by just wiping it, so I carefully took it
> apart just to
> clean the outer plastic casing and the molded rubber sheet that pokes
> through some of the outer casing's holes to make up the keys to press.
> After the careful washing and re-assembly, the remote stopped
> working.  I
> suspect that I may have washed off a coating on the rubber
> that made it
> conduct electricity.  Can anybody confirm if this may be a
> likely cause for
> the problem AND if so, is there a name for this (spray?) and
> it's commercial
> availability.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009