From: <ishmael@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 10:23:30 -0700

Is there any way at all to recover data lost after a reset?

Also, when the batteries run down to the point that the Poqet will no longer start up, is there any way to replace the batteries and boot the unit without resetting?

Thanks.

eli . ishmael@xxxxxxxx
gone to croatan

ThinCard drive on eBay. by Feldman, Robert <Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Feldman, Robert" <Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: ThinCard drive on eBay.
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:19:53 -0600

There is a DataBook TMD-500 ThinCard drive for sale on eBay. (Allows you to
read/write SRAM cards on a PC without a PCMCIA slot).

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350403763

It apparently is one of over 2000 surplussed recently by the Federal
Government. I bought one from the same seller a few weeks ago (bid $5.00).
It comes with DOS software and works fine on my old 386, but I had trouble
using it on my Pentium with Win95.

The current manufacturer of the DataBook, Karby
(http://www.karby.com/karby/) has Win95 software that you can download, but
I could not get it to work consistently on my pentium. Worst part was that
it would occassionally corrupt the format on the SRAM card.

Karby replied to my email question about the drive, but sounded a bit pissed
off, since the TMD-500 is not a drive they manufactured. If anyone has or
gets a TMD-500, and wants to get the info on using it with the newer Karby
software, email me at Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx and I can forward their
response.

Robert A. Feldman
Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx

Re: Help by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 10:55:10 -0700

Hi,

There is no way to recover data in memory lost after a reset.  Just like if
you power off your desktop or laptop computer, all data in memory is lost.

To answer the second question, it depends on how long the batteries have
been "dead."  If it's been a long time since the batteries have "died"
(meaning that there is still some amount of charge in the batteries that
have been keeping the system alive in sleep mode), then you should be able
to replace the batteries and press the On/Off button.  If it has been a
long time, such that the batteries are really completely dead, then you
need to reset the unit.

Hope this helps!

-- Bryan

At 10:23 AM 6/4/00, you wrote:
>Is there any way at all to recover data lost after a reset?
>
>Also, when the batteries run down to the point that the Poqet will no
>longer start up, is there any way to replace the batteries and boot the
>unit without resetting?
>
>Thanks.
>
>eli . ishmael@xxxxxxxx
>gone to croatan