Volume 004, Number 095, 13 Apr 2000

  1. Re: memory card filesystem layout? by Andreas Meyer <ahm@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

Re: memory card filesystem layout? by Andreas Meyer <ahm@xxxxxxxx>

From: Andreas Meyer <ahm@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: memory card filesystem layout?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:46:21 -0400

Paul Fox writes:
> is anyone accessing poqet memory cards under linux?
>
> i have the linux pcmcia drivers recognizing the cards, and if
> i look at the (binary) contents of the devices that are created
> when i insert the cards, i see that there's FAT filesystem
> information there, but so far i've been unable to actually mount
> and access the dos filesystem successfully, though the linux
> pcmcia "HOWTO" implies it should "just work".
>
> has anyone done this?

I described the process in detail in 1997. :)

Search for "linux" in the list archive
http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/cgi/digest-list.cgi
and look for the subject "How to use SRAM cards with Linux".

> are the poqet memory cards laid out in a "normal" fashion, as far
> as the filesystem goes?

It's a pseudo-floppy format that looks enough like what Linux expects
to be MSDOS.  Be sure you only format the cards on the Poqet.
I did have trouble with certain brands of card; I don't know why.

Anyway, if you say the card is being recognized, this should work:

# mount /dev/pcmem0b -t msdos /mnt
# ls /mnt

Andy
--
 Andreas Meyer, ahm@xxxxxxxx, http://www.spies.com/~ahm/
 I need a trephine like I need another hole in my head.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009