From: David C Smalley <dsmalley@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Is it truly dead?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:21:29 -0800

Okay,

I recently bought a Poqet PC Classic. I worked fine when I got it. I put
an old 1meg sram card (don't know if it is 5 or 3 volt) in it. It worked
fine after I reformatted it (from a DOS 5 format to DOS 3.3, I guess). I
loaded Emacs on it to have a mini wordprocessor. Still no problem, except
the keyboard is kind of stiff (is that normal?).

I used it for a while. Then I used it sometime later. Again, no problem.
But the last time I picked it up, it wouldn't turn on. It turns out the
batteries were dead. I only used it 2-3 hours in 2-3 weeks. I don't know
if that can be considered normal battery life or not, but that isn't the
main problem.

After replacing the batteries, the unit still would not turn on. I should
say rather, the screen remains blank, but I can hear the little "whine" I
could hear before when using it. Pushing the power key does nothing.
Neither does CTRL-ALT-DEL. It just whines away, until I remove the
batteries. I even removed the sram card (it had been in it the whole
time) to remove any potental problem with it. Still, nothing (nothing
different at any rate). I let it sit over night without batteries. I put
them in the next day, but to no avail. I tested the batteries in a
flashlight (they were fresh from the package, but you never know) & they
seem to be in great shape. I haven't been omnipotently watching it as it
sat on the shelf, but to the best of my knowledge, nothing physically has
been done to it.

Was I just unlucky enough to have the thing randomly crap out on me, or
is there some secret I am missing out on?

David Smalley(dsmalley@xxxxxxxx)
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Re: Is it truly dead? by Scott K <rkinder@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Scott K" <rkinder@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Is it truly dead?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:27:13 -0500

Hi David,

 You'll notice there's a notch in the ScrLck key. That's the reset button.
Press and hold it down for a couple of seconds with a ballpoint pen.

In a moment the POQET should boot up.

Give it a try,
Scott

Poqet battery life by Frank Grigaliunas <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Frank Grigaliunas" <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet battery life
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:33:39 -0800

David C Smalley <dsmalley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I used it for a while. Then I used it sometime later. Again, no problem.
> But the last time I picked it up, it wouldn't turn on. It turns out the
> batteries were dead. I only used it 2-3 hours in 2-3 weeks. I don't know
> if that can be considered normal battery life or not, but that isn't the
> main problem.

I use my Poqet anymore exclusively to run WordPerfect 5.1.  After every
short amount of keyboard inactivity, it goes to sleep and I have to turn it
on again.  When I first got it, though, I installed Murk.  One evening, I
was showing it to my wife and it was dinner time, so I just closed the case
and set the Poqet aside.  A day or two later, I opened it again, and Murk
was still happily running.  Later that day, the Poqet complained of low
batteries, and I had to replace them.

Either I don't have a clear recollection of the facts here, or the Murk
program is somehow not susecptible to the auto-sleep function.  I haven't
bothered to experiment to verify this--right now, I'm only running WP, and
I know it goes to sleep.

My point in all this is that it might be possible that some programs keep
running when they should go to sleep, and this could contribute to short
battery life.

Frank

       Frank and Karen Grigaliunas, 1816 W. Dean, Spokane, WA 99201
   fgrig@xxxxxxxx -=*=- (509) 326-7147 -=*=- http://www.iea.com/~fgrig/
       "The Internet doesn't annoy people.  People annoy people."

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009