From: steven pirie-shepherd <pixie@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRAM cards and formats
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:37:30 -0500

Hi, Steven Pirie-Shepherd here with some question and problems,
I have a poqet classic. I bought a couple of 1Mb SRAM cards from vikant,
and a 512kB card from Simple technologies. I formatted the cards in the
poqet, they worked fine. However, after a while they stopped reading
(the classic DOS abort retry fail? option.). I tried to reformat the
cards in the poqet, no good. I then checked the batteries and checked
the cards integrity by using them in some other devices that support
type I SRAM cards (an AMSTRAD PDA600, an AMSTRAD NC200, and a casio
zoomer pDA). All used the cards no problem, although they reformatted to
their own filing system.
	I then reformatted the cards using a TMD-650 drive (parallel port
driven), hooked to my Win98 machine, transferred files from my desktop,
and inserted the cards back into the poqet (this procedure was how I
initially transferred files to the poqet).
	Nothing! Even though this worked on the same cards quite recently.
	The only card that works is the card that came with my machine. It
works in drive A and B, whilst the other 'dodgy' cards will work
nowhere.
	I am now quite frustrated as I want to have my poqet working at full
capacity, and have things like nettamer on a SRAM card that I can slot
in and play with. Does anyone have any suggestions?
	What has happened?
--
Steven Pirie-Shepherd Ph.D.
***insert pithy phrase here***

Re: SRAM cards and formats by Scott K <rkinder@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Scott K" <rkinder@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SRAM cards and formats
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:19:54 -0500

Steve,

  Sounds like symptoms of a 5 volt SRAM card. 5V cards work
fine until the batteries in the POQET run down a bit (before the
low battery warning). Try inserting fresh batteries and see what
happens.

  POQETs are designed to work with 3 volt SRAM cards.

  Someone sold me a POQET with a 5 volt card and I experienced
the same problems. You're okay if you replace the batteries at the
first sign of trouble, otherwise the data will become corrupt.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the same problem to me.

Scott

Re: SRAM cards and formats by ddvteach@xxxxxxxx

From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:53:56 -0500

Put new batteries on the Poqet.  If the cards are recognized, you got 5
volt cards.
The Poqet Classic works best with 3volts cards, such as Verbatim or Poqet
brand
(if you can find them  somewhere).  For more details on this check the
FAQ.

Though I got some 5 volts cards, and they only create a problem with
writing, not reading.
I don't know if there are SRAM cards of higher voltage than 5.  If there
are, they would freak
the Classic out.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:37:30 -0500 steven pirie-shepherd
<pixie@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi, Steven Pirie-Shepherd here with some question and problems,
> I have a poqet classic. I bought a couple of 1Mb SRAM cards from
> vikant, and a 512kB card from Simple technologies. I formatted the
cards in
> the poqet, they worked fine. However, after a while they stopped
reading
> (the classic DOS abort retry fail? option.). I tried to reformat the
> cards in the poqet, no good. I then checked the batteries and  checked
> the cards integrity by using them in some other devices that support
> type I SRAM cards (an AMSTRAD PDA600, an AMSTRAD NC200, and a casio
> zoomer pDA). All used the cards no problem, although they  reformatted
> their own filing system. 	I then reformatted the cards using a TMD-650
drive (parallel
> port driven), hooked to my Win98 machine, transferred files from my
desktop,
> and inserted the cards back into the poqet (this procedure was how I
> initially transferred files to the poqet).
> 	Nothing! Even though this worked on the same cards quite
> recently.   The only card that works is the card that came with my
> machine. It works in drive A and B, whilst the other 'dodgy' cards will
work
> nowhere.  I am now quite frustrated as I want to have my poqet working
> at full capacity, and have things like nettamer on a SRAM card that I
can
> slot in and play with. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> 	What has happened?
> --
> Steven Pirie-Shepherd Ph.D.
> ***insert pithy phrase here***