From: "Keith Miller" <kmiller@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: that tiny little battery.
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:42:09 -0500

that little 3.6v backup battery is avail at radio shack for $9.99. it's a
special order though.. but it is still around.

I gotta order me one of those.. <G> mines dead..

Re: that tiny little battery. by PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx

From: PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: that tiny little battery.
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:43:16 EST

It is NOT a 3.6v battery.  It is a 1.2v .  The open circuit voltage on the
"charger" is only a bit over 2v, so it certainly wouldn't recharge a 3.6v
battery.  Besides, it is a single NiCad cell, and they are defined by the
laws of chemistry and physics to be 1.2 volts unless you stack them.  I have
replaced two bridge batteries, thanks to Jerry at DND who had some new spares
for me at the NJQRP meet, and they are, indeed 1.2V.  Jerry is also convinced
that that is the right voltage.

72,

Preston WJ2V

Re: that tiny little battery. by Keith Miller <kmiller@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Keith Miller" <kmiller@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:11:15 -0500

AH! thanks for the headsup..
I think I killed my poqet pc plus. :(
It dun boot anymore..
and jerry dun have any more of them..

sigh.. I'm stuck.. anyone got any ideas?

Re: Nettamer (again)and TMD-650 questions by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Nettamer (again)and TMD-650 questions
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:05:10 -0800

Hi,

I'm running a TMD-650 PC Card drive at home, and if I remember correctly,
the drivers for the TMD-650 PC Card drive are included with Windows 98.  I
think all you have to do is run "Add/Remove Hardware", select manual
installation, and then select the Databook driver, which should be under
the PCMCIA devices (or somthing like that, it's been a long time since I
installed Windows 98 on my system).

Be sure to remove all of the real mode drivers (csmapper.sys,
carddrive.exe, etc.) from your CONFIG.SYS.  Windows doesn't need those
drivers and they may force your entire disk system into "compatibility"
mode (not a good thing -- very slow).

-- Bryan

[...]

RE: Edit config.sys by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Edit config.sys
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:00:09 -0800

Ah, yes . . . good old "copy con".  Goes something like this:

copy con config.sys <ENTER>
device=d:\ramdisk.sys 1024 <ENTER>
.
. [whatever other commands you want in your config.sys]
.
^Z [that's Conrol-Z]

Of course, whatever used to be in config.sys gets deleted, but it's great
for little files when you don't have any editors loaded on the system.

-- Bryan

From: PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:57:04 EST

Keith et al,

Plug it in.  Make sure the screen isn't too light--push the function and
screen darkener buttons--it may just be hiding.  Of course, try pushing the
cold restart button with a ball point.

:-)

Preston WJ2V

Re: that tiny little battery. by Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 15:04:47 -0600

PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> It is NOT a 3.6v battery.  It is a 1.2v .  The open circuit voltage on the
> "charger" is only a bit over 2v, so it certainly wouldn't recharge a 3.6v
> battery.  Besides, it is a single NiCad cell, and they are defined by the
> laws of chemistry and physics to be 1.2 volts unless you stack them.  I have
> replaced two bridge batteries, thanks to Jerry at DND who had some new spares
> for me at the NJQRP meet, and they are, indeed 1.2V.  Jerry is also convinced
> that that is the right voltage.

Preston,

Can you send me the proper part number etc for the battery.  I checked mine and
it has a hint of white "fuzz" growing on it <grin>.  Looks like it is a Varda V60
and then some other letters or numbers ???

Mike Melland, W9WIS

Re: that tiny little battery. by Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 15:12:59 -0600

Keith Miller wrote:

> AH! thanks for the headsup..
> I think I killed my poqet pc plus. :(
> It dun boot anymore..
> and jerry dun have any more of them..
>
> sigh.. I'm stuck.. anyone got any ideas?

Keith,

Pull the "A" card partly out and then turn it on.  They default to load
config.sys and autoexec.bat from the A drive first after a reset.  I had a
problem with my Plus and couldn't get it to boot beyond the bios screen.  Then I
pulled the "A" card and tried and it booted right up.  I put the card in the B
drive and formatted it and shut down.  Transfered the card back to the "A"
socket and now it fine, It originally locked while trying to access the "A"
drive after I reset. However, this particular 4 meg card always shows the "low
battery" broken line above whatever drive the card is in even though there is a
new battery in it.  Apparently many of the Plus's are doing this....... it's a
card problem.  The 1 meg cards from my Prime show the solid line as they should.

73 de Mike Melland, W9WIS

Re: that tiny little battery. by Keith Miller <kmiller@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Keith Miller" <kmiller@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:21:59 -0500

Nope tried all that.. all I get is a cursor at the top of the screen..
nothing else.. No buttons work.. nothing.. somehow my bios got trashed I
think..

From: "Keith Miller" <kmiller@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:45:22 -0500

that dun work either..

> > sigh.. I'm stuck.. anyone got any ideas?
> >

> Keith,
>
> Pull the "A" card partly out and then turn it on.  They default to load
> config.sys and autoexec.bat from the A drive first after a reset.  I had a
> problem with my Plus and couldn't get it to boot beyond the bios screen.
Then I
> pulled the "A" card and tried and it booted right up.  I put the card in
the B
> drive and formatted it and shut down.  Transfered the card back to the "A"
> socket and now it fine, It originally locked while trying to access the
"A"
> drive after I reset. However, this particular 4 meg card always shows the
"low
> battery" broken line above whatever drive the card is in even though there
is a
> new battery in it.  Apparently many of the Plus's are doing this.......
it's a
> card problem.  The 1 meg cards from my Prime show the solid line as they
should.

> 73 de Mike Melland, W9WIS

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009