From: pennywise@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Poqet 186
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:03:26 -0000

Hi'
186 is a Poqet that was intended for the European market but it is
substantially the original Poqet and all cables are the same.
Tony (UK)

cables by pennywise@xxxxxxxx

From: pennywise@xxxxxxxx
Subject: cables
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:03:26 -0000

Hi'
I have posted this information before, but some of you obviously
didn't see it.
All cables and accessories for Poqet (all models) are available from
California Digital Inc. at  -  caldig@xxxxxxxx  - mark for the
attention of Terry Reiter.
Tony(UK)

transfering data by Houston Blevins <houstonblevins@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Houston Blevins" <houstonblevins@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: transfering data
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:35:39 -0600

This works for me just fine. just drag and drop from windows explorer, as
the databook shows up as a removable drive. Data Book TMD-650 External
PCMCIA Card Reader $33.50  From :
http://www.cc-solutions.com
Houston

Re: cables by Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>

From: Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cables
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:56:57 -0800

pennywise@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi'
> I have posted this information before, but some of you obviously
> didn't see it.
> All cables and accessories for Poqet (all models) are available from
> California Digital Inc. at  -  caldig@xxxxxxxx  - mark for the
> attention of Terry Reiter.
> Tony(UK)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. I checked with them and they do have the
parallel and serial cables, but they want $69 each for them...

I guess having a corner on the market has it's privileges.
--
cheers, Paul - VA7NT (ex VE7CQK) - email: paule@xxxxxxxx

Re: transfering data by Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>

From: Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: transfering data
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:10:16 -0800

Houston Blevins wrote:

> This works for me just fine. just drag and drop from windows explorer, as
> the databook shows up as a removable drive. Data Book TMD-650 External
> PCMCIA Card Reader $33.50  From :
> http://www.cc-solutions.com
> Houston

Hi Houston,

Thanks for the info. I see you can read from the cards with
this device, but can you write to them also using it?
--
cheers, Paul - VA7NT (ex VE7CQK) - email: paule@xxxxxxxx

Poqet plus serial connector - question by Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>

From: Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet plus serial connector - question
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:55:04 -0800

Ok, I'm confused... I was under the impression that the poqet plus
used a non standard connector... I just got the following message
from California Digital:

"There is no adapter for the PC+, it uses a straight 9" pin IBM serial
cable.
Should be available at local computer/electronic store for about $15."

What is the real story here??? Does anyone have a plus who can
check this out for me???
--
cheers, Paul - VA7NT (ex VE7CQK) - email: paule@xxxxxxxx

Re: Poqet plus serial connector - question by Michael Luth <mluth@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Michael Luth" <mluth@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poqet plus serial connector - question
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:52:25 -0700

The Poqet Original and the Poqet Prime have a very nonstandard connector. The Poqet Plus that I have uses what appears to be a standard "mini-connector", the same style that is used on a lot of palm tops for cable connections to the desktop. I'm not sure that you could find a ready made serial cable that works with this connector, but you could probably make your own.

I think the confusion might be that, (And this is my speculation) the serial connectors on the Poqet Pluses that Cal Digital sells had been modified by whoever originally owned that batch of Poqets. This comes from Al Wong's page where he talks about being able to remove the serial connector that came with the one he purchased. His page also has some information about the serial pin outs. Check out his page for a lot of other information as well on the PC Plus. http://www.primenet.com/~awong/service/poqet.html#Discrepancies

Mike

Re: Poqet plus serial connector - question by PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx

From: PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:57:57 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2000 1:25:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, paule@xxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Ok, I'm confused... I was under the impression that the poqet plus
 used a non standard connector... I just got the following message
 from California Digital:

California Digital is apparently selling Poqets with a kind of adapter
already stuck in the back.  The Poqets that I bought from Disks and Data have
1.  In the case of the Prime model (081) a flat, nonstandard connector into
which a factory adapter fits--my Prime was supplied by DND with the adapter
which ends in a STANDARD serial port.  You may plug a regular serial or null
modem cable into that port, as your needs require.  2.  The Plus has a port
that looks like a tiny "D" connector, about the size of a USB port, that is
physically the same as the connector in my Toshiba laptop for connection of
the laptop's floppy drive when desired.  (Obviously, doesn't work with the
Toshiba floppy drive, though.  I tried it!)  Again, my Plus came with a
"dongle" with the little connector on one end and a STANDARD serial port on
the other.  If you don't have such an adapter for your Poqet, you'll have to
get the pinouts from the Poqet site
(http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/)--the site has a large download
containing the technical specs of the Poqet Prime.  I am not as sure the Plus
has the pinouts readily available.

Anyway, I hope that makes things a bit clearer.

72,

Preston WJ2V

Re: Poqet plus serial connector - question by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:14:46 -0800

The Poqet PC Plus does not have a standard 9-pin serial connector on the
back.  There are two connectors -- one has pinouts for an RS-232 serial
port and the other has pins for a TTL serial port (same signals as RS-232,
just the voltage levels are different).

The pinouts on these connectors are not standard, so you can't just go to a
computer store and by an adapter.

-- Bryan

Re: Questions about PCMCIA cards and ATA by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about PCMCIA cards and ATA
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:22:22 -0800

Adapters to use Compact Flash in PCMCIA slots are fairly common.  You
should be able to get one wherever you got your Compact Flash card.  Type
II PCMCIA flash cards are also fairly common, and they should work in the
Poqet PC Plus.  However, many new types of PCMCIA Flash cards have been
developed since the Poqet PC Plus was designed, and there's a possibility
that the newer cards won't work in the PC Plus.  The PCMCIA spec for Flash
cards was very new when the PC Plus was built, and as a result, it's not
100% compatible with the latest cards.

-- Bryan

At 04:45 PM 1/21/00, Jeff wrote:

>--- Michael Luth <mluth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > I understand that SanDisk Compact Flash (CF) cards can be used
> > with a PC
> > > Card adapter (a Type II form factor) in the Plus and that the
> > Prime does not
> > > accept Type II PCMCIA cards.
>
>I'd thought  I'd read some where that the Poqet Plus could use flash
>memory cards that were ATA.
>Are PCMCIA TYPE II card adapters readily available?
>What is the best way use like a 96meg flashram card for the Poqet
>Plus?
>
>Thanks for any help!
>
>Jeff
>
>=====
>Jeff Jones
>AB6MB
>Norcal QRP Net 7045 Sunday 6pm PST Monday 0200 UTC
>NorCal QRP Club #65, QRP-L #1780, ARCI 10071
>Radical FIST Member 6798
>Voicemail/Fax 1-888-Excite2 ext 925-439-2514
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009