From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@bmason.com>)
Subject: Re: Drives
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:31:20 -0800

Actually, you can't write to drive C: -- it's a read-only drive where DOS
is stored.

-- Bryan

Re: Does anyone on the list have an email server suggestion? by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>)

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@bmason.com>)
Subject: Re: Does anyone on the list have an email server suggestion?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:31:27 -0800

Hi,

Lots of people use NetTamer on their Poqet PC.  There is a link from the
Poqet PC Web site to the NetTamer site, in the Software section.

-- Bryan

Re: Poqet PC Plus for auction by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>)

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@bmason.com>)
Subject: Re: Poqet PC Plus for auction
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:31:54 -0800

The serial port on the Poqet PC Plus is a standard IBM-PC/XT compatible
serial port.  Whatever program you're using should work fine.

-- Bryan

RE: Serial Null Modem Problems by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>)

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@bmason.com>)
Subject: RE: Serial Null Modem Problems
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:31:42 -0800

As far as I know, the Poqet PC Prime's serial port is exactly the same as
the one on the Classic.  Also, the floppy drive should work on either
computer.  You have to reboot the computer to get the FDD to work, though.

-- Bryan

Re: New to list, Card sources? by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>)

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx> (by way of Bryan Mason <bmason@bmason.com>)
Subject: Re: New to list, Card sources?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:31:34 -0800

There is no way that I know of to import/export PoqetSchedule data to
Outlook.  Sounds like a good project for one of the programmers out there .
. .

DCFMT isn't a utility that was made or distributed by Poqet Computers.  It
might be a little hard to find that key.

-- Bryan

Questions about PCMCIA cards and NewWord software. by Feldman, Robert <Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Feldman, Robert" <Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Questions about PCMCIA cards and NewWord software.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:10:37 -0700

Hello all. Like John Kaniecki, I also just got a Poqet Prime from Disks N
Data (P.O. Box 8428
Cherry Hill, NJ), one of about 200 that recently surfaced. (From info with
it, it appears that they were used by Kellogg cereal sales people.) The
information in this web site and in Al Wong's was very helpful in deciding
to get the Poqet.

I understand that SanDisk Compact Flash (CF) cards can be used with a PC
Card adapter (a Type II form factor) in the Plus and that the Prime does not
accept Type II PCMCIA cards. What I was wondering is, is there some
fundamental electrical or logical reason (BIOS problem, or missing or wrong
signals, for example) why the Type II cards can't be used in the Prime, or
is the reason simply physical (that the thicker Type II cards just don't
fit). Reason I ask is that the SanDisk CF cards are 3 mm thick, same as Type
I cards, so I was thinking that it might be possible to thin the PC Card
adaptor down to 3 mm and use it with a CF in a Prime. Does anyone have any
information on this?

One other question: does anyone use NewWord (very similar to WordStar 3.3)?
I tried it, but there are problems with the Insert mode. Typing characters
appears to overwrite until about 6 or 8 characters are added, then the new
characters appear. Alternately, pressing the right arrow key after inserting
text causes it to display properly. Any help on correcting the problem would
be appreciated.

Robert A. Feldman
J.D. Edwards World Solutions
35 East Wacker Drive #2200
Chicago, IL  60601
312-828-0034  ext. 252
Robert_Feldman@xxxxxxxx

Re: Does anyone on the list have an email server suggestion? by PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx

From: PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:20:35 EST

Thanks, Brian.

I am using Nettamer, and it works too!  But I have not yet worked out all the
kinks I need to do to get my ISP to give up my email!

Working on it.
Preston WJ2V

Re: Questions about PCMCIA cards and NewWord software. by Michael Luth <mluth@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Michael Luth" <mluth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:21:14 -0700

> I understand that SanDisk Compact Flash (CF) cards can be used with a PC
> Card adapter (a Type II form factor) in the Plus and that the Prime does not
> accept Type II PCMCIA cards. What I was wondering is, is there some
> fundamental electrical or logical reason (BIOS problem, or missing or wrong
> signals, for example) why the Type II cards can't be used in the Prime, or
> is the reason simply physical (that the thicker Type II cards just don't
> fit). Reason I ask is that the SanDisk CF cards are 3 mm thick, same as Type
> I cards, so I was thinking that it might be possible to thin the PC Card
> adaptor down to 3 mm and use it with a CF in a Prime. Does anyone have any
> information on this?

My understanding is that the problem is basicly with the BIOS in that the Poqet came along as the first PCMCIA standard was being proposed and so anything past the original PCMCIA standards is unknown to the Poqet (Original and Prime). I may be wrong, but I think others have tried what you are suggesting without success.

> One other question: does anyone use NewWord (very similar to WordStar 3.3)?
> I tried it, but there are problems with the Insert mode. Typing characters
> appears to overwrite until about 6 or 8 characters are added, then the new
> characters appear. Alternately, pressing the right arrow key after inserting
> text causes it to display properly. Any help on correcting the problem would
> be appreciated.

I use WordStar 4.0, and have used 5.5 and 6.0 on my Poqet Original.  I have to turn off the Power Control utility while I'm using the program to avoid problems like you are having.  Some programs just don't like the Poqet's Power Control utility.

Mike
mluth@xxxxxxxx

Poqet misc. by Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet misc.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:21:18 -0600

I finally got around to attempting to link my Poqet to my IBM PC 266 MHz
P2 running Win95 tonight.  Frustration...... no matter which I
configured as client/server I get a connection error and then the PC
locks up.  Tried all the available com ports, shut off virus protection
and still no go.  Next I set up my recently acquired Zenith 486 DX4
running DOS 6.22 that I picked up a while ago from surplus at the
college where I work in great shape (they have been selling these off
($50 or "best offer".... got mine for $10 with monitor etc) along with
some older Apple's .... seems no one else wanted one so they junked
about 40 of them this past week).  Loaded the pqlink software
and........ off and running first try.  I have no idea why I can't seem
to get it working with the Win95 box???

Anyway..... I transferred some programs etc and it works slick as
grease.  I loaded the logger basic program and some RF and antenna tools
and the all run great on the Poqet.

In my box from Jerry there was a Poqet acessory price list from 1991.
Did you guys take a look !

1MB flash or SRAM cards $700 ea..... 2MB $1400 ea
Poqet 2400bps modem $299
Poqet serial adapter $50

Wow!.... how far we've come !  Anyone with any ideas why my IBM W95
won't link let me know.....I covered everything I can think of.

73 de Mike
--
Michael Melland, W9WIS
Winneconne, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Poqet misc. by Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>

From: Paul Erickson <paule@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poqet misc.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:47:18 -0800

Michael Melland wrote:

> I finally got around to attempting to link my Poqet to my IBM PC 266 MHz
> P2 running Win95 tonight.  Frustration...... no matter which I
> configured as client/server I get a connection error and then the PC
> locks up.  Tried all the available com ports, shut off virus protection
> and still no go.  Next I set up my recently acquired Zenith 486 DX4
> running DOS 6.22 that I picked up a while ago from surplus at the
> college where I work in great shape (they have been selling these off
> ($50 or "best offer".... got mine for $10 with monitor etc) along with
> some older Apple's .... seems no one else wanted one so they junked
> about 40 of them this past week).  Loaded the pqlink software
> and........ off and running first try.  I have no idea why I can't seem
> to get it working with the Win95 box???
>
> Anyway..... I transferred some programs etc and it works slick as
> grease.  I loaded the logger basic program and some RF and antenna tools
> and the all run great on the Poqet.
>
> In my box from Jerry there was a Poqet acessory price list from 1991.
> Did you guys take a look !
>
> 1MB flash or SRAM cards $700 ea..... 2MB $1400 ea
> Poqet 2400bps modem $299
> Poqet serial adapter $50
>
> Wow!.... how far we've come !  Anyone with any ideas why my IBM W95
> won't link let me know.....I covered everything I can think of.
>
> 73 de Mike
> --
> Michael Melland, W9WIS
> Winneconne, Wisconsin, USA
> FISTS #4387, 10-10 #69281, QRP-L #1656,
> QRP-ARCI #9875, AK/QRP #478, NorCal,
> NJ-QRP #214, Cheeseheads QRP Club
> CW, SSB, and Electronics
> List Administrator: grundig@xxxxxxxx
> http://www.qsl.net/w9wis

Hi Mike,

Were you trying to connect with your windows machine in w95
or in dos mode? I suspect that if you restart in dos mode
you will be successful. That works for me.
--
cheers, Paul - VA7NT (ex VE7CQK) - email: paule@xxxxxxxx

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009