From: "Frank Grigaliunas" <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Null modem cables
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:18:04 -0800

Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was at Radio Shack and picked up a RS232 set which can be configured by
the
> user into a null modem.  I couldn't find one there that has the proper
pin
> out combinations to match that in the Poqet  serial adapter manual.  If
the
> one you got works could you send me the RS part # ?  How are you getting
from
> the DB25 serial adapter to the DB9 PC serial port (my computers all have
DB9
> serial ports)?  Is the null modem a DB25 or DB 9 ?

I checked around on the web and found a place called Cables n Mor.  They
have straight-through cables, null modem adapters for straight-throughs,
gender changers, and DB25 to DB9 adapters.  There's a ten-foot DB25
female-female null modem cable for six dollars at
http://cablesnmor.com/nullmodem.html and there's an adapter to make the DB9
male port on your computer into a DB25 male port for two dollars at
http://cablesnmor.com/d23776.html

Another place, ConnectWorld, has a 9-25 f-f null modem cable for $5.00.
You can see it at http://www.connectworld.net/cabled/modem.html

Finally, ProVantage has a 9-female to 25-male null modem cable for $5.08 at
http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fp_16097 and a 25-female to 25
female gender changer for $1.96 at
http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fp_16097

I haven't dealt with any of these outfits, so caveat emptor.

Frank

       Frank and Karen Grigaliunas, 1816 W. Dean, Spokane, WA 99201
   fgrig@xxxxxxxx -=*=- (509) 326-7147 -=*=- http://www.iea.com/~fgrig/
       "The Internet doesn't annoy people.  People annoy people."

Re: Null modem cables by Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Null modem cables
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:10:38 -0600

Frank Grigaliunas wrote:

> Another place, ConnectWorld, has a 9-25 f-f null modem cable for $5.00.
> You can see it at http://www.connectworld.net/cabled/modem.html
>
> Finally, ProVantage has a 9-female to 25-male null modem cable for $5.08 at
> http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fp_16097 and a 25-female to 25
> female gender changer for $1.96 at
> http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fp_16097
>
> I haven't dealt with any of these outfits, so caveat emptor.

Thanks Frank..... I'll chaeck these out.  I guess my problem is in looking at
Adapters...... DB25 to DB 9 it looks like the pin outs change...... instead of
attaching the null modem like they do in the Poqet manual, to the end of the
serial cable where it hooks into the PC.... I was going to at5tach it right to
the Poqet serial adapter and run cable from it to the PC....... if the pin outs
change with the cable or DB25 to DB9 adapter that doesn't appear to work ?

Mike

--
Michael Melland, W9WIS
Winneconne, Wisconsin, USA

Serial Null Modem Problems by PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx

From: PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Serial Null Modem Problems
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:43:14 EST

Hi Poqet folks and kind NJQRP gang for the Poqet invasion (don't worry, it's
temporary) ,

I have been having a ball with my Poqet 081.  I have a laptop that reads and
writes easily to the memory cards, so programing is easy.  But I have a
friend who has a new Plus on order, and he doesn't have a laptop with PCMCIA
slots, so he'll need to use a null modem.  I thought I'd get him set up in
advance, but I just can't get PQLink to play properly.  I went so far as to
rewire a DB25M to DB25F cable I had handy (with unscrewable shells for easy
access to the pins) in accordance with the PQLink manual.  I did have to
adapt down the far end to go into the DB9 connectors on the back of my
computers, but the computers just won't find each other.  I can run VNA and
PQLink just fine after restarting in DOS on the big machine, but it just
gives me an error message when I run VNA connect in the remote menu.  Is it
the adapter that is the problem.  Do I have to change the end to rewire for
DB25?  Anybody know?

Thanks for the help.

Preston Douglas WJ2V

Re: Serial Null Modem Problems by Frank Grigaliunas <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Frank Grigaliunas" <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Serial Null Modem Problems
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:14:01 -0800

PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I can run VNA and
> PQLink just fine after restarting in DOS on the big machine, but it just
> gives me an error message when I run VNA connect in the remote menu.  Is
it
> the adapter that is the problem.  Do I have to change the end to rewire
for
> DB25?  Anybody know?

Sometimes it's the simplest things.  Is your desktop PC configured for the
right comm port?  The program defaults to comm 1, and for me, that's where
the mouse is.  I have to go to alt-c and change it to comm to each time I
start.  As far as I know, there's no way to make it default to a different
comm port.

If that's not your problem, sorry to waste your time.

RE: Serial Null Modem Problems by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:39:38 -0500

Hi!

This won't help you out with your problem, but I wanted to mention that I've
had (unresolved) problems using my null modem cable to link Poqet Prime to a
desktop PC as well as the Poqet floppy drive.  I was going crazy thinking
something happened to the drive/cable/port.  Then I connected my Poqet
Classic and everything worked again.  This leads me to think that Prime's
port is not exactly as the Classic's.  Could anyone confirm this?  Also, can
anyone confirm if the Poqet floppy drive should work with the Prime?

Another strange thing was that I was only able to link up the Prime to
another laptop via VNA, however when I tried my preferred method, using
interlink/intersvr (so that I can transfer multiple directories and
sub-directories at one shot) they do not recognize each other.

-Bill

Re: Serial Null Modem Problems by PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx

From: PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:37:49 EST

OK, guys, I found it.  First, a normal null modem cable works.  Try the
Belkin F3X171-10, available in Staples.

My problem was all finding/activating serial ports in the big machines.  My
laptop, for instance, was set up for the Ir port, instead of the serial port
on Com 1--and the serial port was disabled (by me, the dummy) to eliminate a
conflict with the Ir port.  Once it was reactivated in the BIOS (not Windows,
though you have to check there too for the port to be enabled), it worked
fine.  Connects at 115,000 baud, which is reasonably fast, and will transfer
a half meg program in a couple minutes.  So, that's how it's done.

Now, in answer to one question I got, the other, easier way to transfer
programs is to use the PCMCIA slot in your laptop, if you have one.  You need
to tell Windows to activate the slots (which is already done if you are using
one for your modem, like I am.  Then add these two lines to the end of your
Config.sys file in the laptop:

device=c:\windows\system\csmapper.sys
device=c:\windows\system\carddrv.exe /slot=n

where n is the number of PCMCIA slots in your laptop.

That'll do it, if I copied these lines right.  I copied them right out of the
windows help file, so they ought to do the job.  I have George Heron to thank
for posting this hint a few days ago.

Hope this helps.

73 es 72,

Preston Douglas WJ2V

Re: Serial Null Modem Problems by Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Melland <badger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:47:43 -0600

PDouglas12@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> OK, guys, I found it.  First, a normal null modem cable works.  Try the
> Belkin F3X171-10, available in Staples.

Oh great........ and I just spent two hours building the "special" null modem
adapter as shown in the Poqet remote link manual.  I was unable to find any null
modems anywhere that used the "special" pin out.  And now I find that a normal
null modem adapter or cable would have worked.  Figures <grin>........ wonder why

the manual states that Poqet's pin outs are necessary...... must be additional
devices or something that they made that the null modem adapter and cable could
have been used with ???

Regards,

Mike
--
List Administrator: grundig@xxxxxxxx
http://www.qsl.net/w9wis

DB25 to DB9 pinouts by Frank Grigaliunas <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Frank Grigaliunas" <fgrig@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: DB25 to DB9 pinouts
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:20:35 -0800

I picked up a two-headed null modem cable today, with both 9 and 25 pin
connectors on each end.  You can see a picture of it at
http://www.iea.com/~fgrig/2headed.jpg

I got out the multimeter and figured out the pinouts for you homebrewers
who want to make a cable that fits the DB25 on the Poqet and the DB9 on
your computer.  This is based on the holes in the DB9 being, as you look
straight into the holes, 5,4,3,2,1 from left to right on top and 9,8,7,6
from left to right on the bottom.

DB25-----DB9
2---------2
3---------3
4---------8

Frank

       Frank and Karen Grigaliunas, 1816 W. Dean, Spokane, WA 99201
   fgrig@xxxxxxxx -=*=- (509) 326-7147 -=*=- http://www.iea.com/~fgrig/
       "The Internet doesn't annoy people.  People annoy people."

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009