From: Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n032
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 08:03:13 -0500 (EST)

> From: "Jacob Gauthier" <jake@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: flashuty use

> I just bought a poqet PC plus from CA digital. I want to use flashuty to
> change the configuration and files listed on c and d but I'm affraid of
> hosing the flash and not being abled to boot any longer. Anyone have docs?

This all SHOULD be in the FAQ, but since it isn't:

Yes, I have docs.

> Know how to backup the flash ROM so I can restore it if I do any damage?

A simple way is to use XCOPY to copy files out of the Flash ROM, however
the FLASHUTY command:

FLASHUTY </m[:size]> <pathname> <imagefile>

may work.

	size - The size in kilobytes of the disk image to create. Valid
		parameters are 521, 576, 640, 704, 768, 832, and 896.

	pathname - the top of the directory structure which is to be
		assembled into a disk image

Use this same command to assemble a disk image to write INTO the Flash
ROM.

> How do the drives get assigned by whats in the flash?

Not sure I know what you mean.

> Will flashing the
> wrong addresses hurt the BIOS? Thanks for any and all help!

Sure could!  BIOS lives in blocks E - F of the Flash ROM.  The Flash drive
lives in blocks 0 - D.

Need more info?  Email me directly.

              \\                                             Geoff Sullivan
 \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
  )):;;;;;;;;;;;;;(;;;(     (~~~`--------------        geoffs@xxxxxxxx
 //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish

Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n032 by Jacob Gauthier <jake@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Jacob Gauthier" <jake@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Dec 1999 15:55:06 -0800

I would LOVE a copy of the docs but I know its alot to ask.

>> How do the drives get assigned by whats in the flash?
>
>Not sure I know what you mean.

What I meant was this. It seems to me that c: and d: are both drives in
flash. In my poqet D is read only, C is read/write but if I click the reset
button C restores to its previous state. Based on that I've guessed that
there are 2 image files in the flash, one becomes C (and maybe gets put
into RAM so it can be rewritten) and one becomes D.

I want to know how it figures out which image is C and which is D. I also
wonder if it matters how large each image is since they are treated
differently. Or is it 1 big image somehow segmented into 2 drives....or is
D something else?

Now  I'm more confused. I checked C: it has 942214 used and 17408 free.
That amount as already more than it should be. D has 423376 used and 87552
free. Ack.

These are some specs I found but may not be correct:

Drive C: = 1MB Masked ROM
Drive D: = 1MB Flash ROM

What is masked ROM? Which drive will flashuty alter? My guess is C
but.......If it is C is D rewritable?

Thanks again.

At 08:03 AM 12/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> From: "Jacob Gauthier" <jake@xxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: flashuty use
>
>> I just bought a poqet PC plus from CA digital. I want to use flashuty to
>> change the configuration and files listed on c and d but I'm affraid of
>> hosing the flash and not being abled to boot any longer. Anyone have docs?
>
>This all SHOULD be in the FAQ, but since it isn't:
>
>Yes, I have docs.
>
>> Know how to backup the flash ROM so I can restore it if I do any damage?
>
>A simple way is to use XCOPY to copy files out of the Flash ROM, however
>the FLASHUTY command:
>
>FLASHUTY </m[:size]> <pathname> <imagefile>
>
>may work.
>
>	size - The size in kilobytes of the disk image to create. Valid
>		parameters are 521, 576, 640, 704, 768, 832, and 896.
>
>	pathname - the top of the directory structure which is to be
>		assembled into a disk image
>
>Use this same command to assemble a disk image to write INTO the Flash
>ROM.
>
>> How do the drives get assigned by whats in the flash?
>
>Not sure I know what you mean.
>
>> Will flashing the
>> wrong addresses hurt the BIOS? Thanks for any and all help!
>
>Sure could!  BIOS lives in blocks E - F of the Flash ROM.  The Flash drive
>lives in blocks 0 - D.
>
>Need more info?  Email me directly.

>              \\                                             Geoff
Sullivan
> \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
> //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009