From: Paul Fox <pgf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: larger characters?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:04:32 -0500

i asked:
 > is there a way (either standard DOS, or Poqet-specific) to get
 > fewer rows of larger characters on the screen?  i realize many
 > apps won't work if the screen's not 25x80, but for the one's that
 > _are_ configurable (or which don't care), it would be handy...

and got two good suggestions:
 > This is easily taken care of with a ASM compiled file.  Compiles down to
 > about 9 bytes (or ten bytes for 16 colors).  I suggest getting my NASM86

and:
 > I'm not certain this program will work, but it is a "SKINNY" DOS program
 > that works on the HP 200LX.  Its named "ZOOM" and can be downloaded from the

my problem with the first solution is that i don't think i want wider
characters -- i think i just want them to be taller.  the poqet's screen
is more squished top to bottom than it is side to side.  is it possible
to do something similar to get, say 80x12?

the second solution sounds useful, except for the problem of scrolling around
to see the "rest" of the display.  it sounds like it gives a small window
into a larger 80x25 virtual display -- is that right?

paul
=---------------------
  paul fox, pgf@xxxxxxxx (arlington, ma, where it's 52.0 degrees)

RE: poqetpad keyboard info? by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: poqetpad keyboard info?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:22:11 -0500

Hi Charles,

I own a PoqetPad but don't use it much / haven't used it in a long while,
but I believe there's a screen touch keypad built in.  I'll have to look at
mine when I get home.  Give me an email @ billmoy@xxxxxxxx and we can
discuss.  -Bill

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:44:53 -0500

Hi Paul,

I've experimented with different DOS software (archived free/shareware) for
a solution to the same problem.  I haven't found that does the trick for me
yet.  I understand there is a nice little palmtop software called Eye Relief
but have not tried it.  I believe it is a word processor with large type.

If you don't need standard DOS, I was very happy using scalable fonts with
Windows 2/286/3.0.  It does the trick for me; large fonts that wraps nicely
with quick screen response.  Also, another GUI with scalable fonts is the
defunct GeoWorks, however I've never gotten that to work on my Poqet, but I
believe others have.  (If anyone has the system/configuration requirements
to run this on the Poqet platform, please post.)

Please keep us informed with your search, I'll do the same.   -Bill

Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n026 by Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>

From: Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n026
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:01:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> From: Eli Naeher <enaeher@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Poqet Problem
> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 20:38:11 -0500 (EST)
>
> One week after receiving my new Poqet it has spontaneously ceased to
> function. :(  I went to turn it on and nothing happened.  Any suggestions?

You didn't say which Poqet computer you have.  Did you try the reset
button?  Did you try new batteries or a recharge?  Does it have an AC
power supply?
              \\                                             Geoff Sullivan
 \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
  )):;;;;;;;;;;;;;(;;;(     (~~~`--------------        geoffs@xxxxxxxx
 //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish

Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n026 by Eli Naeher <enaeher@xxxxxxxx>

From: Eli Naeher <enaeher@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:06:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Geoff Sullivan wrote:

> You didn't say which Poqet computer you have.  Did you try the reset
> button?  Did you try new batteries or a recharge?  Does it have an AC
> power supply?

Poqet Classic or Prime, not Plus.  I tried batteries--no AC--where is the
resett button?

    ___
   )_|_)   Eli Naeher - enaeher@xxxxxxxx
  )__|__)
 )___|___)   "A whaleship was my Yale College and my Harvard."
\-,__|_,---/                             --Herman Melville
 ________/

Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n026 by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:44:47 -0800

The reset button is tucked into the little "bite" out of the Scr Lk button
in the upper right hand corner of the keyboard.  Just poke it with a pencil
tip.

Re: Larger characters by Daryl L Hardes <daloh@xxxxxxxx>

From: Daryl L Hardes <daloh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:42:45 -0500

Paul

The DOS command MODE 40 will give you large screen
fonts.  To use it, first make sure your screen is set to
"color," not "monochrome."  If there is a bar over the
circle at screen bottom, it's set for color.  If not, go into
the Poqet menu/ Options/ Video Setup to change it.

Then, just type MODE 40 at the prompt, and hit ENTER.
To return to regular size, type MODE 80 (ENTER).  The
number indicates how many characters appear per line
on screen.

Programs that sort-of work in mode 40 include LIST,
TED, and QEdit.  You won't see all of the menu in TED,
so you'll have to remember the couple commands that
don't show; and similarly in other programs.  TED is
freeware, LIST and QEdit are shareware (though QEdit
has a new name now, I forget what it is).

Daryl Hardes (daloh@xxxxxxxx)

> From: Paul Fox <pgf@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: larger characters?
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 23:11:49 -0500
>
> is there a way (either standard DOS, or Poqet-specific) to get
> fewer rows of larger characters on the screen?  i realize many
> apps won't work if the screen's not 25x80, but for the one's that
> _are_ configurable (or which don't care), it would be handy...
>
> paul

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009