From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: black line
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:06:36 -0700

Hi,

The reset button is actually part of the keyboard.  To clean the reset button,
you have to take the lower part of the Poqet PC apart, lift up the rubber
keyboard mat and use a Q-Tip soaked in denatured alcohol to clean the metal
traces on the PCB.  Once you get it apart, I think you'll see what I mean.

Detailed instructions on taking apart the lower part of the Poqet PC are in the
FAQ on the Web.

-- Bryan

Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n010 by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v004.n010
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:02:05 -0400 (EDT)

I think the odds are a failing ribbon cable (while I am not the POQET
guru), the dreaded black line moving suggests ribbon disease.

Bryan said it is difficult to repair/replace the ribbon; I have never run
across a description of how one might attempt that. I would love too.
I keep my Classic pristine, fearing to open the case, knowing it's life
is measured in how many times I work that hinge..

     Michael Fetterman
  d005041c@xxxxxxxx

  "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics"

                   Benjamin Disraeli

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> * replying to messages in this digest can be found at the
> * end of the digest.
>

> --------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v004.n010.1 ---------------
>
> From: Camnitzer1@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: black line
> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:48:16 EDT
>
> Thank you Brian. I went back to the machine, put batteries back and the
> stupid thing booted correctly after I pressed twice to check if the black
> line stayed or not. So, I couldn't find out if it is dirty under the reset
> button or the display cable. After writing my previous letter I remembered
> that this had happened once before for a short time.  Anyway, how would one
> clean the reset button? (I already know how to use it as a doorstop).
> Although I don't think it is the reset button because when I pressed it
> before today, the line would change places on the screen.  Thanks. Luis
>

> --------------- END poqetpc.v004.n010 ---------------
>

> * POQET PC LIST SUBSCRIBERS:   When replying to digest messages,
> * please change  the subject  of your reply  to something useful
> * (instead of "Digest poqetpc.v001.n067"), and edit the contents
> * of the message, quoting text where appropriate.
> *
> * Also, make sure that the "To:" field in your reply is set cor-
> * rectly. Some mail readers may automatically send your reply to
> * <PoqetPC-Errors@xxxxxxxx>,  so  if you want  to reply to
> * sender of the message or to the entire maililng list,  you may
> * have to adjust the "To:" field of your reply.
> *
> * To unsubscribe from the mailing list,  send a message with the
> * word "unsubscribe" to <PoqetPC-Request@xxxxxxxx>. If you
> * have any questions,  please feel free to send a message to the
> * list owner at <PoqetPC-Owner@xxxxxxxx>.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009