From: Daryl L Hardes <daloh@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Any word on Poqet upgrade?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:26:47 -0400

Hi after a long time silent...

Was this a wake-up call to Poqet enthusiasts after the summer?

>From: "Christopher Evans" <teknopup@xxxxxxxx>
>i am the devil. ]:-)

Christopher doesn't fool me, I know the devil has a goatee   ]:-)>

My brand new Poqet Classic is still factory sealed and in my china
cabinet, on display forever; and my broken-hinged workhorse Classic
has been put out to pasture, replaced by a B2-class 2.2# Panasonic
CF-M32 running Win95.  It now occupies my Game-Boy tote bag I
grab to trot everywhere effortlessly, along with my RDC-1 digital
camera and cell-phone: not instant on like the Poqet, but pretty close;
not just a pound, but light; not as good a 15mm keyboard, but workable;
not weeks on two double-AAs for sure, but a day's work on two
feather-weight batteries.  Bottom line:  my solution is not as handy in a

store or when the phone rings, to open and punch in quick notes, but
it can be done.  Much as I love the Poqet, my needs on the road go
beyond note-taking, including running programs that require
Windows;  taking photos and pasting them into my growing book;
doing presentations.

Now, I know that Fujitsu makes a great B2-class computer, the B112.
If the Panasonic hadn't been dumped for $685, I'd probably now own the
Fujitsu instead.  Better 15mm keyboard, if not quite as good pointing
device or as outdoor-useable screen, or tough (and after three drops
of portables, I need tough!)

I mention all this to ask, once again:  any hope in sight for a true
replacement for the Poqet?  Not the pathetic Wince devices, but a
trimmed-down Fujitsu-Poqet answer to the Sony Picturebook?
One-pound, run anything,  huge RAM for basic stuff and flash cards
and PCMCIA hard drives for all else, a power-miserly reflective
color screen?  That would, finally, be a pocket device powerful
enough to be able to leave the laptop at home.

Daryl

Re: Any word on Poqet upgrade? by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:57:35 -0700

I keep hoping, too.  I bought the Amity CN (dumped thru ValueAmerica for
$699;) it's a Win 95,
2-1/2 lbs, but a mere 1-1/2 hours on the battery, and slow bootup.  Okay for
the train commute to work, but not much good for long distance travel.
     I needed to finish revising a novel and didn't want to stop, even tho I
had a 3-week vacation planned.  So I replaced my broken Poqet Classic with
one that worked, for $100, and took it with me to Europe.  I loaded the last
quarter of the novel onto a 2-mg card and was off and running.  Finished the
revision, and managed to transfer the data back to my desk top.  In order to
accomplish all this, I had to revert to an ancient word processing program
that fits on the 64K flash card(!) which I used in one slot, and the 2mg
card for data in the other.  Worked like a charm, thanks to my reading
glasses.  I also have an Omnibook, which comes close to the Poqet ideal:
instant on, fairly light weight, decent keyboard, but still, only 3-4 hours
on the battery.
You'd think someone would get it right.  Grumble-grumble.

Re: Any word on Poqet upgrade? by Virtual Bob <hey9811@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <hey9811@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:51:45 -0500 (cdt)

> I mention all this to ask, once again:  any hope in sight for a true
> replacement for the Poqet?  Not the pathetic Wince devices, but a
> trimmed-down Fujitsu-Poqet answer to the Sony Picturebook?
> One-pound, run anything,  huge RAM for basic stuff and flash cards
> and PCMCIA hard drives for all else, a power-miserly reflective
> color screen?  That would, finally, be a pocket device powerful
> enough to be able to leave the laptop at home.

Since Poqet, I've moved to Toshiba Libretto...

But come to think of it, most of the technologies for a current-generation
Poqet is pretty much around. As nice is AA battery is, I'd settle for the
Li-ion battery instead. Static RAM is not cheap, but it may be worth while
for such a device to keep the power-consumption down. The color Nintendo
GameBoy is quite impressive, considering the price (yeah, they get back
the $$$ through sales of game cartridges...). The miniature HD from IBM,
etc.

I thought IBM PC-110 was pretty good replacement to the Poqet, although
the keyboard is pretty unusable for touch-typing. Too bad IBM discontinued
it and haven't improve upon it in any way during its production.

Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged US$500 per e-mail,
plus court cost.
Your contribution to Bill Gates' personal wealth: US$288.26
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009