From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Shimmering Display
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:33:38 -0700

Hi Michael,

Does it shimmer both indoors and outdoors, or only indoors?  The refresh
rate of the display is around 70 MHz, which means that, under certain
circumstances, it will "beat" with indoor electric lighting.  The lights
pulse at 60 Hz and the screen is pulsing at 70 Hz.  Your eye can't see the
pulsing, but the 60 Hz and 70 Hz signals can interfere with one another in
such a way to make the display seem to flicker.

If I remember correctly, the flicker phenomenon seems to be worst with
sodium-vapor lighting and florescent lighting, but not much of a problem
with incandescent lights.

-- Bryan

Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n088 by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n088
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:16:49 -0700

At 06:32 AM 6/21/99, Monty Walls wrote:
>> Excerpts from Poqet: 20-Jun-99 Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n088 Bryan
>Mason@xxxxxxxx (675*)
>>
>> At 10:18 AM 6/20/99, Geoff Sullivan wrote:
>> >... Maybe Bryan did have a memory lapse and was mistaken about the
>> >Megahertz modems.
>>
>> You know, as more people have problems with these Megahertz modems, I'm
>> becoming less sure about the fact that they really do work with the Poqet
>> PC Plus.  I'm a little worried that I did have a brain cramp and got the
>> PCMCIA support of the Poqet PC Plus confused with that of the 325Point,
>> which I know for sure supported the Megahertz XJ1144.
>>
>> Sorry, I know that's not what you all wanted to hear.  I'll see if I can
>> dig up some documentation next week to support or refute the support of
>> Megahertz modems on the Poqet PC Plus.
>>
>> -- Bryan
>
>While I have not had a lot of luck so far with my
>XJ1144 (despite Bryan's help), The XJ1144 is listed
>in the load module for the pcmcia drivers as one of the
>cards recognized....  And it really does try to initialize
>it. (still playing with pqsetup settings).

Although I couldn't find anything specific in the release notes  that said
that the XJ1144 was supported, I did find several instances where ther
XJ1144 was mentioned as if it was a supported PCMCIA card.  I'll keep
looking...

-- Bryan

re: question regarding poqet plus by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: re: question regarding poqet plus
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:14:45 -0700

SanDisk Flash cards are read/write in the Poqet PC Plus.  Linear flash
cards are still read-only.  The "flash-programmable" disk drive is
internal.  The FLASHUTY program (stored in drive D: of the Poqet PC plus, I
believe) can be used to re-write the drive.

If you have data in the RAM disk and the main batteries "die", there should
still be enough power left in the batteries to keep the RAM disk alive.
Even if the main batteries are removed, there's a bridge battery that
should keep power to the RAM for some time (I can't remember how long,
however).

-- Bryan

Re: classic using pcmcia storage by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: classic using pcmcia storage
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:30:16 -0700

The SRAM cards are usually given the next available drive letter(s) when
the SRAM card drivers are loaded in CONFIG.SYS.  These drive letters are
allocated statically -- they exist whether or not a card is inserted into
the slot.  Other cards, like SanDisk cards, are supported by Windows
drivers, so they are given the next available drive letters when the card
is inserted.  These drive letters are allocated dynamically -- created when
the card is inserted and destroyed when the card is removed.

As an example, if you have a computer with two IDE hard drives (or two
partitions on a single hard drive) a two-slot PCMCIA adapter, and an IDE
CD-ROM, you'll have the following drive letter assignments:

HDD1      C:
HDD2      D:
SRAM1     E:
SRAM2     F:
CD-ROM    G:

Then, when you insert a SanDisk, it'll be assigned as follows:

SanDisk   H:

This assumes, of course, the there's no network drives around.   Also, SCSI
drives can be assigned drive letters a little differently depending on
whether or not BIOS support is enabled for the SCSI drive.  Also, the above
assignments assume that you don't have any DOS-level drivers installed for
the CD-ROM.

I don't know of any way to change this.  Windows NT lets you assign
specific drive letters to specific drives, but I think you have to take
what you get with Windows 95 and Windows 98.

-- Bryan

At 10:06 PM 6/13/99, David Wolf wrote:
>Bryan--thanks for the tip.  I was able to follow instructions and got the
>Amity (Win95) to read the old SRAM card just as you indicated.  But now
>something else came along to bother me a bit.  Maybe you (or others on the
>list) know the fix.  After I tried out the SRAM card and found it worked,
>when I put the other PC card back in, the dumb computer renamed the slot
>Drive F: (when I put the SRAM card in, it renamed the slot Drive E:, and
>before that, when the slot had the old card, it was called Drive D:)  There
>seems to be some kind of dumb automatic adding of letters every time I
>switch cards in that slot.  This wouldn't bother me, except that when I use
>one of my shortcut icons to boot up my word processor from the PC card, the
>computer doesn't recognize it, because the shortcut is from Drive D:, not
>the current name, which is Drive F:  (At least, that's the name as of today,
>as long as I don't go changing cards in that slot.)  Do you know a way to
>turn off Bill Gates's Mad Alphabetizer?  Again, thanks!

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009