From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Can't get the XJ1144 Modem to Work on the PC Plus
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:05:32 -0700 (PDT)

Bryan and Geoff,

OK, I received my XJ1144 modem in the mail today and tried out
Bryan's commands (below):

> 1) Use the command "PQSETUP /R=DD" to disable the internal serial ports.
>    (This switch should work with PQSETUP version 3.02.)
>
> 2) Make sure that the following command lines are in your CONFIG.SYS:
>    DEVICE=D:\PQSS.EXE
>    DEVICE=D:\PQCCU.EXE /C1

Getting this far, I have experienced the same behaviour as Geoff
described with Procomm Plus (Hangs during initialization, have to
reboot, etc.) and have not been able to use the modem.

Several questions for BRYAN:

1) Doing a PQSETUP only on the command line brings up a help screen.
For the "/R" option, it saids "/R=xxmn" where "xx=device m=1|2 n=3|4".
What does this mean???

>    This will put the modem on COM1.  If you want the modem on COM2, then
>    replace "/C1" with "/C2".

2) Does it matter if the modem is in the A: or B: slot???
Right now, my modem is in the B: slot and I have it configured as COM1.
I hope this is OK...?

3) Looking around in the D: volume, there is a program called PQMCP.EXE
which appears to enable/disable the AT&T and PNB modem cards. There is
no mention for the Megahertz modem card. However, I suspect the
Megahertz modem card also needs to be enabled...???

Please REPLY DIRECTLY TO ME and to the list. There is some urgency
in knowing whether this modem will work on the PC Plus or not.
I'm leaving on an extended vacation very soon and need to know
whether I can use the PC Plus or be forced to take another
(heavier and bulkier) laptop.

Thanks,

 Al

Re: Can't get the XJ1144 Modem to Work on the PC Plus by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can't get the XJ1144 Modem to Work on the PC Plus
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:49:17 -0700

Hi Al,

Some answers (I hope):

1) The /R option goes like this:
   /R=<DEV1><DEV2><COM><IRQ>

   <DEV1> and <DEV2> can be one of several letters which stand for
   different ways that the serial port devices can be rounted. "T" means
   the TTL port, "R" means the RS-232 port, "B" meands the barcode
   reader port, and "D" means disabled.

   <COM> can be "1" or "2" which assigned the first *assigned* device
   to that communications port.

   <IRQ> can be "3" or "4" which assigned the first *assigned* device to
   that IRQ.

   The other device gets the other communications port and IRQ.

   So:
   "/R=BT14" would assign the barcode reader to COM1, IRQ4 and the
   TTL port to COM2, IRQ3.

   "/R=TR23" would assign the TTL port to COM2, IRQ3 and the RS-232
   port to COM1, IRQ4.

   "/R=DR14" would assign the RS-232 port to COM1, IRQ4.  This is because
   the first serial device is diabled.

   There are only certain combinations that are acceptable.  The program
   will tell you if you have an invalid combination.

This is all from memory right now.  I could be wrong about the exact
letters, but I think I'm close.  Someone who's got the Technical Reference
Guide can correct my mistakes.   I think the best thing to do, for the
purposes of getting the modem to work, would be to disable both serial
ports with the option "/R=DD14" or "/R=DD23"

2) It shouldn't make a difference in which slot the modem is inserted.

3) I vaguely remember the PQMCP program (which is odd, since I think I
wrote it).  It should work for the Megahertz modem as well.

Hope that helps!

-- Bryan

Re: Can't get the XJ1144 Modem to Work on the PC Plus by Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>

From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your fast reply. I really appreciate it.

> This is all from memory right now.  I could be wrong about the exact
> letters, but I think I'm close.  Someone who's got the Technical Reference
> Guide can correct my mistakes.   I think the best thing to do, for the
> purposes of getting the modem to work, would be to disable both serial
> ports with the option "/R=DD14" or "/R=DD23"

OK, I'll try these commands. If someone on the mailing list has the
Technical Reference Guide, please jump right in!

> 3) I vaguely remember the PQMCP program (which is odd, since I think I
> wrote it).  It should work for the Megahertz modem as well.

Typing PQMCP on the command line, only shows "ATT" and "PNB" as
possible modems (in the help file). I tried both:

	pqmcp att awake
	pqmcp pnb awake

and both times PQMCP returned the modem is not found.
(with the Megahertz modem is already inserted.)

What string do I use in PQMCP to specify the Megahertz modem???
(i.e. PQMCP <string???> AWAKE)

I have this feeling that the modem has to be enabled somehow.
If you can tell me the interrupt number/function number,
I can write a little program in Turbo C for it.
(I already have Turbo C 2.0 installed on my PC Plus and
it works great!)

Again, please reply directly to me.

From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:51:04 -0700 (PDT)

> This is all from memory right now.  I could be wrong about the exact
> letters, but I think I'm close.  Someone who's got the Technical Reference
> Guide can correct my mistakes.   I think the best thing to do, for the
> purposes of getting the modem to work, would be to disable both serial
> ports with the option "/R=DD14" or "/R=DD23"

Hi Bryan,

I just tried the above two options with the PQSETUP command and,
although both commands were accepted without error, I still
have the same behaviour with Procomm Plus (it hangs trying
to initialize the modem. Only way to get out is to reboot).

I guess enabling the Megahertz modem with PQMCP or some other method
is in order. Please let me know how this can be done.

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:37:15 -0700

Hi Al,

I'm sorry, but I'm really out of ideas at this point.  I don't remember the
PQMCP command.  If anyone out there has the Technical Reference Guide, can
you please look through it to see if you can find any information on the
command?

I wish I had better news, but its been a long time and I just don't
remember the Poqet PC Plus that well.  I thought sure that the Megahertz
modem was supported, but I could be wrong.

-- Bryan

At 12:51 AM 6/18/99, Al Wong wrote:
>> This is all from memory right now.  I could be wrong about the exact
>> letters, but I think I'm close.  Someone who's got the Technical Reference
>> Guide can correct my mistakes.   I think the best thing to do, for the
>> purposes of getting the modem to work, would be to disable both serial
>> ports with the option "/R=DD14" or "/R=DD23"
>
>Hi Bryan,
>
>I just tried the above two options with the PQSETUP command and,
>although both commands were accepted without error, I still
>have the same behaviour with Procomm Plus (it hangs trying
>to initialize the modem. Only way to get out is to reboot).
>
>I guess enabling the Megahertz modem with PQMCP or some other method
>is in order. Please let me know how this can be done.
>
>Thanks,
>
> Al

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009