From: Paul Fox <pgf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: question regarding poqet plus
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:44:36 -0400

hi -- i've read through the FAQ, and i've visited the CA Digital
page, and i've got a question or two.  or three.  or four.  or...  :-)
my portable needs are small -- a little data entry, and then easy
transfer back to my home systems.  maybe remote access with a modem,
but i'm not sure i've ever actually done that.

first, let me say that i bought a poqet pc from ca digital a few
years back -- i returned it because it was way too hard to type
on (for me) and the screen was very hard to read.

but it seems that they're now selling the "plus" model, which looks
like a) it has a somewhat bigger keyboard, and b) it has a reflective
screen.

so -- how hard is the plus model to type on?, and how hard is it
to read?

since the FAQ covers the earlier models, i'm also not sure of the
answer to the next one:  can i use a pcmcia network card in the plus?

it's also not clear whether the plus can write to flash cards or
not, and if so, to which type -- linear or sandisk?

does it have full-size serial and parallel connectors? i recall the
previous models do not.

and finally -- how realistic is the "2 to 8 hour" battery life claim
on the ca digital page?  what kind of charger/adapter comes with the
thing?  i assume it will run with the charger connected?  (i.e. when
i'm at home, i can have a charger at most of my working spots?)

paul
=---------------------
  paul fox, pgf@xxxxxxxx (arlington, ma, where it's 59.4 degrees)

Re: question regarding poqet plus by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question regarding poqet plus
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:32:28 -0700

Hi Paul,

To answer some of your questions...

The keyboard on the Poqet PC Plus is the same size as on the Poqet PC.  If
you thought that the Poqet PC was hard to type on, then there shouldn't be
a change for the Poqet PC Plus.  The display screen on the Poqet PC Plus is
*much* better, however.

The Poqet PC Plus doesn't support any network cards.  You can use both
linear and SanDisk flash cards in the PC Plus.  It doesn't have any
parallel port capabilities.  There is a serial port, but it's a
non-standard connector.

If I remember correctly, the 2-8 hour battery life is fairly accurate.
Hopefully someone else who owns a Poqet PC Plus can comment on that.  I
don't know what kind of AC adapter (if any) CA Digital is selling with the
PC Plus, but I do know that it is possible to charge the battery while
using the PC Plus at the same time.  The battery charger is actually inside
the Poqet PC Plus, so all you do is attach the AC power adapter.

I hope that helps!

-- Bryan

At 04:44 PM 6/11/99, Paul Fox wrote:

[...]

>so -- how hard is the plus model to type on?, and how hard is it
>to read?
>
>since the FAQ covers the earlier models, i'm also not sure of the
>answer to the next one:  can i use a pcmcia network card in the plus?
>
>it's also not clear whether the plus can write to flash cards or
>not, and if so, to which type -- linear or sandisk?
>
>does it have full-size serial and parallel connectors? i recall the
>previous models do not.
>
>and finally -- how realistic is the "2 to 8 hour" battery life claim
>on the ca digital page?  what kind of charger/adapter comes with the
>thing?  i assume it will run with the charger connected?  (i.e. when
>i'm at home, i can have a charger at most of my working spots?)
>
>paul
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009