From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Using a PCMCIA Modem on a Poqet Plus
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 03:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. This will help to narrow down my search.

Now suppose I insert the right modem card and run say, Procomm.
Will the PC Plus automagically recognize the modem card?
Or do I have to do something else? Perhaps somehow reroute
COM1: through the A: or B: volume?

I believe I have the right drivers already installed. But I wanted
to make sure with you. If someone with a Technical Reference Guide
could answer this, that would be great.

Thanks,

 Al

Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n079 by Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>

From: Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n079
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:01:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 May 1999 poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> 1) Is "1144" the EXACT model number?? If not, what is the exact model?

Yes, 1144 is the number.  I have a 2144 myself, which is also 14.4 but
identifies itself as a 1144 in my other machine.  You see, the computer
industry has no sense of history.  Anything older than yesterday ceases to
exist.  See George Orwell's 1984!

> 3) Are these special drivers for the modems automatically loaded on
> bootup?? If not, what are the filenames of these drivers?

The FlashROM on my Plus contains (among other things) files that may be
the driver(s).  PQCCU.EXE, PQSS.EXE, PQCARD.EXE.  I have no descriptions
of these files.  Still, my modem does not work in the Plus either.  Yet.

> Does either one of your PC Plus adaptors have a company name
> printed on them (a manufacturer's name)? Assuming it's not Fujitsu.

One of them is Fujitsu.  The other looks like it was custom made by a
third party.  Probably specifically for the company that used them.  I got
that one with the latest Plus I got from CA Digital.
              \\                                             Geoff Sullivan
 \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
  )):;;;;;;;;;;;;;(;;;(     (~~~`--------------        geoffs@xxxxxxxx
 //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish

RE: Using a PCMCIA Modem on a Poqet Plus by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:50:09 -0700

Hi Al,

If everything is configured right, then it should work automatically.  I
dug around some onld Poqet PC docs that I have, and I think here's what you
can do to configure everything right:

1) Use the command "PQSETUP /R=DD" to disable the internal serial ports.
   (This switch should work with PQSETUP version 3.02.)

2) Make sure that the following command lines are in your CONFIG.SYS:
   DEVICE=D:\PQSS.EXE
   DEVICE=D:\PQCCU.EXE /C1

   This will put the modem on COM1.  If you want the modem on COM2, then
   replace "/C1" with "/C2".

Hope that helps!

-- Bryan

At 03:11 AM 5/27/99, Al Wong wrote:
>Hi Bryan,
>
>Thanks for your reply. This will help to narrow down my search.
>
>Now suppose I insert the right modem card and run say, Procomm.
>Will the PC Plus automagically recognize the modem card?
>Or do I have to do something else? Perhaps somehow reroute
>COM1: through the A: or B: volume?
>
>I believe I have the right drivers already installed. But I wanted
>to make sure with you. If someone with a Technical Reference Guide
>could answer this, that would be great.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009