From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using a PCMCIA Modem on a Poqet Plus
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:37:54 -0700 (PDT)

Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. I tried looking for the "Megahertz XJack 1144"
on 3Com's website but couldn't find it. Some questions:

1) Is "1144" the EXACT model number?? If not, what is the exact model?

2) Also, what speed (baud) does this modem run (to narrow the search)?
I know for a fact, the PC Plus serial ports cannot be run faster
than 9600 baud. This is from experimentation. The 3Com website
offers 56K, 33.3K and 28.8K modems.

3) Will any "Megahertz" modem (with XJack) run on the PC Plus?

3) Are these special drivers for the modems automatically loaded on
bootup?? If not, what are the filenames of these drivers?

Thanks,

 Al

Poqet PC Plus Serial Port Adaptors by Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>

From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet PC Plus Serial Port Adaptors
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:41:16 -0700 (PDT)

> The Classic and the Prime use a card edge connector.  The Plus has two
> mini data ports.  One is for TTY data from devices like bar code readers,
> the other is serial, but to connect an external modem or printer you need
> some adaptor.  I have two flavors of these.  One is a screw-on that
> converts to a DB9.  The other is a short cable that converts to a DB25.
> They are not for sale <grin>.

Geoff,

Does either one of your PC Plus adaptors have a company name
printed on them (a manufacturer's name)? Assuming it's not Fujitsu.

 Al

Re: Using Flash RAM Cards on a Poqet PC Plus by Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>

From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using Flash RAM Cards on a Poqet PC Plus
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:51:21 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Matthew Bryant <MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Using Flash RAM cards on a Poqet PC Plus]
> Date: 22 May 99 03:28:21 EDT
>
> Thanks, Al, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Did you have to
> use PQFormat on the Sandisk cards, or did the Poqet just recognize the
> existing volume? I tried an 8MB ATA card I had lying around, but I just get an
> error message when I try to format it.

Matthew,
Yes, you have to format the SanDisk cards too. I used either PQFORMAT or
just regular FORMAT. One of these commands should work.

> BTW I got mine from CA Digital, too, via Ebay auction. Terry was auctioning
> several at the same time and I managed to snag one for US$72. Not much of a
> coup if I can't get programs on it, though.

I'm located in L.A. so CA Digital is within driving distance of me.

 Al

Re: Using a PCMCIA Modem on a Poqet Plus by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:22:45 -0700

Hi Al,

I think the exact model number is XJ1144.  It's a 14.4 kbps modem.  I don't
think any X-Jack modem will run in the PC Plus -- it has to be that exact
model.  There are special drivers in the Flash drive that are required for
modem support.  I don't remember the names right now.  Maybe someone that's
got the Technical Reference Guide or additional documentation can help.

-- Bryan

At 06:37 PM 5/25/99, Al Wong wrote:
>Bryan,
>
>Thanks for your reply. I tried looking for the "Megahertz XJack 1144"
>on 3Com's website but couldn't find it. Some questions:
>
>1) Is "1144" the EXACT model number?? If not, what is the exact model?
>
>2) Also, what speed (baud) does this modem run (to narrow the search)?
>I know for a fact, the PC Plus serial ports cannot be run faster
>than 9600 baud. This is from experimentation. The 3Com website
>offers 56K, 33.3K and 28.8K modems.
>
>3) Will any "Megahertz" modem (with XJack) run on the PC Plus?
>
>3) Are these special drivers for the modems automatically loaded on
>bootup?? If not, what are the filenames of these drivers?
>
>Thanks,
>
> Al

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009