From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Using a PCMCIA Modem on a Poqet Plus???
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 04:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using a Poqet Plus and I like it a lot. The only problem
is getting an adaptor for the non-standard serial port in the back.
I've really looked around and no one seems to sell them or the
connector so I can make my own.

As a work around, I thought perhaps I could use a PCMCIA modem
since the Poqet Plus accepts Type II cards. However just inserting
the PCMCIA modem card is not enough. The machine does not automatically
recognize the modem. I suspect I need driver software for it.
Does anyone know of a source of PCMCIA modem drivers for DOS???
Bryan, perhaps you can help me?

Thanks,

 Al

Using Flash RAM cards on a Poqet PC Plus by Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>

From: Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Using Flash RAM cards on a Poqet PC Plus
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 05:00:38 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Matthew Bryant <MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [flashuty]
> Date: 20 May 99 17:15:49 EDT
> I purchased a Plus of my own a month or so ago, and I've been surprised by the
> lack of documentation on the model. I received a photocopy of the user's guide
> with the purchase, but it has nothing on handling the Flash ROM, or using
> Flash RAM cards. Does anyone have information on these topics or a lead to
> someone who does?
>
> I understand that there might be limitations on which Flash RAM cards you can
> use due to voltage concerns. Has _anyone_ found a RAM card that works? Please?

Matthew,

I bought my PC Plus from CA Digital and an original Poqet 2MB SRAM card.
You need to use the PQFORMAT command to format the card and then
is will look like a logical floppy (or hard disk) to the machine.

I have successfully used Sandisk Flashcards and Compact Flashcards
on my Plus. (You also need a PCMCIA adaptor if you want to use the
Compact Flashcard.) In fact, I now have a 110MB Sandisk Flashcard(!)
on my A: drive and a 40MB Sandisk Compact Flashcard on my B: drive!
Disk space galore! :)

 Al

Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n075 by Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>

From: Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n075
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:50:57 -0400 (EDT)

There is very little documentation on the Poqet PC Plus indeed.  The
FLASHUTY is used to make disk images for use in the FlashROM.  I have the
documentation on it and if enough people need it perhaps Bryan can make
some space for it on his site.

As for SRAM compatability, I have used Newton cards and Poqet cards.  I
found a Sony card that wouldn't work.  I would also like to find out how
to use a PCMCIA modem in the Plus if anyone has been able to do that.  The
documentation I have says it can be done, but there are no details.

              \\                                             Geoff Sullivan
 \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
  )):;;;;;;;;;;;;;(;;;(     (~~~`--------------        geoffs@xxxxxxxx
 //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish

classic using pcmcia storage by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: classic using pcmcia storage
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 15:26:30 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BEA39E.4CE3A460

Hi, I just replaced my ancient Poqet classic with a new one!!  I didn't =
get the Plus because I want to be able to power the things with standard =
AA batteries, since I'll be traveling in Europe with it.  Here's my =
question.  I have an old 512K card I use for storing data.  My olf =
floppy disk drive no longer works.  So in order to transfer data from =
the Poqet to my other tiny computer, the Amity CN, I have to slide the =
flashcard into my not-quite-so-old HP Omnibook, get the file, move it to =
a floppy disk, and then transfer it to the Amity.  It would be nice if =
the Amity would read the 512K card directly, but it doesn't.  It =
RECOGNIZES it, and even identifies it, but doesn't "find" it or its =
data.  I guess I'm missing the driver, which, if I installed it on the =
Amity, would make things work.  Can anyone suggest a source for the =
driver?  The PCMCIA card is one of those made originally FOR Poqet, and =
the only ID on it is "Made in Japan" and the number 51-0004-00, and =
again, is called a 512K RAM card.

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BEA39E.4CE3A460

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hi, I just replaced my ancient Poqet =
classic=20
with a new one!!  I didn't get the Plus because I want to be able =
to power=20
the things with standard AA batteries, since I'll be traveling in Europe =
with=20
it.  Here's my question.  I have an old 512K card I use for =
storing=20
data.  My olf floppy disk drive no longer works.  So in order =
to=20
transfer data from the Poqet to my other tiny computer, the Amity CN, I =
have to=20
slide the flashcard into my not-quite-so-old HP Omnibook, get the file, =
move it=20
to a floppy disk, and then transfer it to the Amity.  It would be =
nice if=20
the Amity would read the 512K card directly, but it doesn't.  It =
RECOGNIZES=20
it, and even identifies it, but doesn't "find" it or its =
data.  I=20
guess I'm missing the driver, which, if I installed it on the Amity, =
would make=20
things work.  Can anyone suggest a source for the driver?  The =
PCMCIA=20
card is one of those made originally FOR Poqet, and the only ID on it is =

"Made in Japan" and the number 51-0004-00, and again, is =
called a 512K=20
RAM card.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BEA39E.4CE3A460--

Re: classic using pcmcia storage by Michael Luth <mluth@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Michael Luth" <mluth@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: classic using pcmcia storage
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 22:03:42 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BEA3D5.CA109B00

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer to your question, but just another =
question.  Where were you able to find a "new" Classic Poqet?  I'm in =
the process of trying to decide whether to buy a used Classic from a =
friend's friend and would rather have something new.  Any insight you =
could give me on finding a new one would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
mluth@xxxxxxxx
[...]

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I'm sorry that I don't have an =
answer to your=20
question, but just another question.  Where were you able to find a =

"new" Classic Poqet?  I'm in the process of trying to =
decide=20
whether to buy a used Classic from a friend's friend and would rather =
have=20
something new.  Any insight you could give me on finding a new one =
would be=20
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Michael</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>mluth@xxxxxxxx</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>David Wolf <<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx">dave.wolf@worldnet.att.net</A>=
><BR><B>To:=20
    </B><A =
href=3D"mailto:poqetpc@xxxxxxxx">poqetpc@lists.best.com</A>=20
    <<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:poqetpc@xxxxxxxx">poqetpc@lists.best.com</A>><BR>=
<B>Date:=20
    </B>Friday, May 21, 1999 4:29 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>classic using =
pcmcia=20
    storage<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hi, I just replaced my ancient =
Poqet classic=20
    with a new one!!  I didn't get the Plus because I want to be =
able to=20
    power the things with standard AA batteries, since I'll be traveling =
in=20
    Europe with it.  Here's my question.  I have an old 512K =
card I=20
    use for storing data.  My olf floppy disk drive no longer =
works. =20
    So in order to transfer data from the Poqet to my other tiny =
computer, the=20
    Amity CN, I have to slide the flashcard into my not-quite-so-old HP=20
    Omnibook, get the file, move it to a floppy disk, and then transfer =
it to=20
    the Amity.  It would be nice if the Amity would read the 512K =
card=20
    directly, but it doesn't.  It RECOGNIZES it, and even =
identifies it,=20
    but doesn't "find" it or its data.  I guess I'm =
missing the=20
    driver, which, if I installed it on the Amity, would make things =
work. =20
    Can anyone suggest a source for the driver?  The PCMCIA card is =
one of=20
    those made originally FOR Poqet, and the only ID on it is "Made =
in=20
    Japan" and the number 51-0004-00, and again, is called a 512K =
RAM=20
    card.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BEA3D5.CA109B00--

Re: classic using pcmcia storage by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 21:41:22 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BEA3D2.ABADB420

Hi, Michael--I bought it from California Digital for $100.  I'm not =
certain it's NEW new, because the status line (power) doesn't work (they =
advised me of this in advance.)  When I got this (a week or so ago) they =
had eight in stock.  Good luck.
    I'm sorry that I don't have an answer to your question, but just =
another question.  Where were you able to find a "new" Classic Poqet?  =
I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to buy a used Classic =
from a friend's friend and would rather have something new.  Any insight =
you could give me on finding a new one would be appreciated.
    =20
    Thanks,
    Michael
    mluth@xxxxxxxx
   =20

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BEA3D2.ABADB420

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hi, Michael--I bought it from =
California Digital=20
for $100.  I'm not certain it's NEW new, because the status line =
(power)=20
doesn't work (they advised me of this in advance.)  When I got this =
(a week=20
or so ago) they had eight in stock.  Good luck.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>Michael Luth <<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:mluth@xxxxxxxx">mluth@frii.com</A>><BR><B>To: =
</B><A=20
    href=3D"mailto:poqetpc@xxxxxxxx">poqetpc@lists.best.com</A> =
<<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:poqetpc@xxxxxxxx">poqetpc@lists.best.com</A>><BR>=
<B>Date:=20
    </B>Friday, May 21, 1999 9:05 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: classic =
using pcmcia=20
    storage<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I'm sorry that I don't have an =
answer to=20
    your question, but just another question.  Where were you able =
to find=20
    a "new" Classic Poqet?  I'm in the process of trying =
to=20
    decide whether to buy a used Classic from a friend's friend and =
would rather=20
    have something new.  Any insight you could give me on finding a =
new one=20
    would be appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Michael</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>mluth@xxxxxxxx</FONT></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE=20
    style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
        <DIV> </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BEA3D2.ABADB420--

Re: [Using Flash RAM cards on a Poqet PC Plus] by Matthew Bryant <MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx>

From: Matthew Bryant <MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Using Flash RAM cards on a Poqet PC Plus]
Date: 22 May 99 03:28:21 EDT

Al,

Thanks, Al, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Did you have to
use PQFormat on the Sandisk cards, or did the Poqet just recognize the
existing volume? I tried an 8MB ATA card I had lying around, but I just get an
error message when I try to format it.

BTW I got mine from CA Digital, too, via Ebay auction. Terry was auctioning
several at the same time and I managed to snag one for US$72. Not much of a
coup if I can't get programs on it, though.

Matthew

Al Wong <awong@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have successfully used Sandisk Flashcards and Compact Flashcards
> on my Plus. (You also need a PCMCIA adaptor if you want to use the
> Compact Flashcard.) In fact, I now have a 110MB Sandisk Flashcard(!)
> on my A: drive and a 40MB Sandisk Compact Flashcard on my B: drive!
> Disk space galore! :)
>
>  Al

Matthew Bryant

MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx
mbryant@xxxxxxxx

Re: [Flash RAM in the Plus] by Matthew Bryant <MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx>

From: Matthew Bryant <MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Flash RAM in the Plus]
Date: 22 May 99 03:42:27 EDT

Geoff,

I, for one, would love to see that documentation. I'd like to clear out some
of the proprietary stuff from the previous owners and load a copy of WP 5.1 in
the ROM. Too bad there's nothing available from Traveling on the connection
software, though. It looks like tidy little program.

Thanks for the information on the SRAM.

Matthew

Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is very little documentation on the Poqet PC Plus indeed.  The
> FLASHUTY is used to make disk images for use in the FlashROM.  I have the
> documentation on it and if enough people need it perhaps Bryan can make
> some space for it on his site.
>

>               \\                                             Geoff Sullivan

>  \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
>  //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish

Matthew Bryant

MatthewBryant@xxxxxxxx