From: "Archivis, Lord of Archivon" <archivis@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: need help!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:23:19 -0500

	Okay, I just got my Poqet PC Plus from caldigital
yesterday...But I have a problem.  The only comm software it has
on it is some sort of weird install-base for setting up what appears
to be some corp intranet software (useless without said intranet)
and something called PenConnect v1.0 which appears to be serial
link transfer software.
	Now, I have an external modem for this sucker, but it doesnt
have a modem software package on it, so I cant use that to
establish communications with my desktop :(  And, I dont have a
PCMCIA card reader, so I'm relying on that serial link to get the
modem software on to my poqet.  Does anyone have access to a
copy (maybe from a recently purchased Poqet PC Plus from
caldigital?) and could they send me the relevent files to establish
the other end of the serial link on my desktop machine?
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Foothills/4059/
A whole mess of stuff.  Music, games, and a lovely
circa-1980 text interface. Sorta. ICQ: 3680132

What's the skinny on card readers? by T.C. Martindale <tcmartindale@xxxxxxxx>

From: "T.C. Martindale" <tcmartindale@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: What's the skinny on card readers?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:49:48 PDT

I'm getting tired of hooking that transfer cable to my Poqet Classic
and have considered buying a parallel-type card reader.  Does anyone
know what the cheapest model available is that reads the Poqet SRAM
cards?  If they're significantly over $100, I'd be tempted to just
buy a Poqet Plus from CalDigital and leave it hooked up to my desktop
PC all the time to use as a card drive.  At least that way I could
swap cards AND have a backup Poqet to boot...

TC

Re: What's the skinny on card readers? by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What's the skinny on card readers?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

I have a card reader, internal drive model for a desktop computer, that I
used successfully for my Poqet. I've now abandoned my Poqet (switched to a
PalmPilot) and would sell you the card reader for $90. Let me know.

Michael

Re: What's the skinny on card readers? by T.C. Martindale <tcmartindale@xxxxxxxx>

From: "T.C. Martindale" <tcmartindale@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:11:29 PDT

Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have a card reader, internal drive model for a desktop computer,
>that I used successfully for my Poqet. I've now abandoned my Poqet
>(switched to a PalmPilot) and would sell you the card reader for $90.
>Let me know.
>
>Michael

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really looking at parallel-port readers
-- don't want to void my PC's warranty for the time being.

If anyone else is interested in the drive, drop Michael a line.

TC

Re: What's the skinny on card readers? by h93young@xxxxxxxx

From: h93young@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:17:43 -0500 (CDT)

>and have considered buying a parallel-type card reader.  Does anyone
>know what the cheapest model available is that reads the Poqet SRAM
>cards?  If they're significantly over $100, I'd be tempted to just
>buy a Poqet Plus from CalDigital and leave it hooked up to my desktop

It all depends on your luck, really. About a year or two ago, I was able
to get geniune IBM PCMCIA card reader for less than $40 new in closeout.
I also got an oddball Epson in which PCMCIA card reader is combined with a
3.5" floppy drive from Tiger Direct. I think it was less (or a lot less)
than $100. It was also a closeout.

Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged US$500 per e-mail,
  plus court cost.
Your contribution to Bill Gates' personal wealth: US$288.26

Overpricing! by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Overpricing!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

Oops -- I was relying on memory about what I paid for my card reader. I
bought the Tiger model, according to my Quicken record, for $56.98. So I'm
sorry for inadvertently trying to profiteer! If someone wants to buy it
for a more reasonable price, name it and we'll talk. . .

need help part II -- the agony continues by Archivis, Lord of Archivon <archivis@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Archivis, Lord of Archivon" <archivis@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: need help part II -- the agony continues
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:35:37 -0500

	well my problems continue.  I contacted Travelling Software,
the folks that made PenConnect to see if I could get them to send
me an archived copy, but it turns out that software is an OEM
version apparently made for Poqet Computers and they arent
licensed to redistribute it.
	So...anyone....anywhere....have it?  Please help!

Re: What's the skinny on card readers? by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:46:23 -0700

I have an ad from Fry's (Northern California) offering an ActionTec "3-way
memory card reader" for $79 after $20 mfgr rebate.  I actually plan to check
it out this weekend.  Not sure if it will work with Poqet SRAM crds.  Ad
says, "compatible with compact flash, ATA Flash Cards, & Smart Media."  It
also says, no AC power source needed.  If anyone knows if this spells
compatibility, please let me know (as well as the originator, tc
martindale!)  If I buy it, and it does the job, I'll report.  --Dave Wolf

TIPS... by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: TIPS...
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:59:29 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BE8822.1C820060

Hey, Bill--I was so excited to get your tips I forgot to say thanks!  =
Late last night I managed to figure out how to edit my config.sys (in =
the D drive) using (YIKES) Edlin.  It took me the better part of an hour =
to decipher the old DOS instructions that came with my Poqet and finally =
get it right, (changing from files & buffers =3D 20 to =3D 10)  I also =
did the /u on those two resident programs.  However, I won't know if it =
accomplished the task until California Digital returns my SRAM card, =
which I sent back to them to see if my old word processor would boot up =
in the Poqet Plus.  Natch, if it will work in my Classic, I'm much =
better off.  Besides saving the $100 or so for a new Plus, I'll be able =
to run my wp program on a device that works on AA batteries for weeks, =
which I love, and which is why I bought the Poqet Classic in the first =
place.  I will report on the success (or failure) of the adjustments you =
recommended.  I'm wondering, by the way, if it will eventually be a good =
idea to REM out those two resident programs in the autoexec.bat file.  =
(If I have to soft-boot, would those /u instructions disappear and have =
to be redone?)  I'll find out once I gat my flashcard back.  Again, =
thanks!! =20
--Dave Wolf

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BE8822.1C820060

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hey, Bill--I was so excited to get =
your tips I=20
forgot to say thanks!  Late last night I managed to figure out how =
to edit=20
my config.sys (in the D drive) using (YIKES) Edlin.  It took me the =
better=20
part of an hour to decipher the old DOS instructions that came with my =
Poqet and=20
finally get it right, (changing from files & buffers =3D 20 to =3D =
10)  I=20
also did the /u on those two resident programs.  However, I won't =
know if=20
it accomplished the task until California Digital returns my SRAM card, =
which I=20
sent back to them to see if my old word processor would boot up in the =
Poqet=20
Plus.  Natch, if it will work in my Classic, I'm much better =
off. =20
Besides saving the $100 or so for a new Plus, I'll be able to run my wp =
program=20
on a device that works on AA batteries for weeks, which I love, and =
which is why=20
I bought the Poqet Classic in the first place.  I will report on =
the=20
success (or failure) of the adjustments you recommended.  I'm =
wondering, by=20
the way, if it will eventually be a good idea to REM out those two =
resident=20
programs in the autoexec.bat file.  (If I have to soft-boot, would =
those /u=20
instructions disappear and have to be redone?)  I'll find out once =
I gat my=20
flashcard back.  Again, thanks!!  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>--Dave =
Wolf</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BE8822.1C820060--

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009