From: Geoff Sullivan <sunfish@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n063
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> >I am also new to the list.  I had a Poqet PC Plus years ago and used it
> >until the screen cracked.  Now I have just gotten another one from CA
> >Digital and swapped the screen.
>
> How did you do that ?   I mean, the cable ends are sealed...

Actually it's easier than you'd think.  Two screws on the bottom side of
the case release the plastic strip at the top of the keyboard.  Then there
are two connectors under that on the right side and a screw on the left
side and then just lift out the top!  The trick is getting the ribbon
cable back into that little connector so the screen comes to life as it
should.
              \\                                             Geoff Sullivan
 \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                      sunfish@xxxxxxxx
  )):;;;;;;;;;;;;;(;;;(     (~~~`--------------        geoffs@xxxxxxxx
 //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish

Introducing myself by David Wolf <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>

From: "David Wolf" <dave.wolf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Introducing myself
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:59:57 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BE86A0.9B6F3B00

Hi to all Poqet fans.  I was an early adopter of the Classic.  I have an =
old word processing program that actually fit on the 64K card that came =
with the Poqet.  I stored data on a 512K card.  I used it entirely for =
writing, not connectivity or scheduling etc.  Eventually I moved on to a =
bigger and more standardized word processing program, Professional =
Write, and also moved on to a bigger (and heavier) sub-notebook, the HP =
Omnibook.  But recently I thought I'd try to get a larger card (the 2Mg) =
and install my larger WP program on it.  (I'm taking a trip to Europe =
and thought it would be nice to have something I could use for a couple =
weeks that wouldn't depend on local current.)  To cut to the chase, I =
installed the software but when I tried to boot it up, I got an error =
message that said I need a minimum of 440K available RAM.  I thought I =
had 512, but evidently some of this is being used by whatever is =
resident in the Poqet.  I'm hoping someone knows how to free up some of =
that RAM so I can boot up the program.  Other than that, I work in =
advertising and dabble in fiction.  Hope to find useful stuff in this =
subscription.  Dave Wolf

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BE86A0.9B6F3B00

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hi to all Poqet fans.  I was an =
early=20
adopter of the Classic.  I have an old word processing program that =

actually fit on the 64K card that came with the Poqet.  I stored =
data on a=20
512K card.  I used it entirely for writing, not connectivity or =
scheduling=20
etc.  Eventually I moved on to a bigger and more standardized word=20
processing program, Professional Write, and also moved on to a bigger =
(and=20
heavier) sub-notebook, the HP Omnibook.  But recently I thought I'd =
try to=20
get a larger card (the 2Mg) and install my larger WP program on =
it.  (I'm=20
taking a trip to Europe and thought it would be nice to have something I =
could=20
use for a couple weeks that wouldn't depend on local current.)  To =
cut to=20
the chase, I installed the software but when I tried to boot it up, I =
got an=20
error message that said I need a minimum of 440K available RAM.  I =
thought=20
I had 512, but evidently some of this is being used by whatever is =
resident in=20
the Poqet.  I'm hoping someone knows how to free up some of that =
RAM so I=20
can boot up the program.  Other than that, I work in advertising =
and dabble=20
in fiction.  Hope to find useful stuff in this subscription.  =
Dave=20
Wolf</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BE86A0.9B6F3B00--

RE: Tips for David re increasing RAM by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Tips for David re increasing RAM
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:01:57 -0400

Hi David! (and all you PoqetPeople)

I've been experimenting on minimum settings on the Poqet, currently I'm
running Windows3.0 with Excel on a whopping 472864 bytes free!  My
config.sys reads:

files=10
buffers=10
rem (buffer min 6 for PQTools address name search; 8 to modify w/PQTools)
shell=command.com /e:1024 /p
	(not sure if you really need this David, but it's in my config.sys
and I need it for *something*.)
device=a:\poqet\os$clk2.sys
	(free download from the Poqet website, a definite update must that
makes the Poqet less frustrating if you soft-boot or 	freeze up a lot!)
stacks=0,0
	(this frees up a little bit more, but it doesn't work when I switch
to DOSv5.0.)

Default cold-boot RAM is 428544 bytes free.  Before you modify config.sys
try "Releasing" PQtools form memory (from its exit mode
or by command PQTools/u).  28832 bytes saved.  Then command VNA/u to release
VNA from RAM.  Another 14448 bytes saved!
Your free RAM should read 468592 with just these two command alone without
changing default config.sys; enough to get you running that program.

Hope this helps!		Your pal, Bill  :)

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009