From: Dayton <daytonm@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n047
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:23:21 -0800 (PST)

> --------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v003.n047.2 ---------------
>
> From: "John E. Hayes III" <jeh25@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: New Poqet Owner/ Serial question
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:23:49 -0500
>
> Hello all-
>
> I just recently joined the world of PoqetPC owners. I managed to get a
> Classic w/ Wp5.1 and a 512k SRAM card for $40!
>
> Anyway, I was looking for a definitive answer to a question regarding
> serial connections on the PoqetPC. My PoqetPC came with a serial
> adapter. I attempted to use pqlink to connect to my desktop box using a
> serial cable and a gender changer. This did not work. Thus I assume that
> I need to use a null modem cable or adapter to connect the male db25 on
> my PoqetPC to the male db25 on my desktop box. Is this the case?
>
> Thanks
>
> john hayes

What didn't work? Did you use VNA before PQLink? When you ran PQLink, what
happened. I hookup my Poqet to my PC pretty much the same way you do.
Though since I have one serial port on the PC and usually have an external
modem attached, I unplug the serial cable at the modem end and plug that
into the Poqet serial cable (or is it a file transfer cable?), but that's
pretty much what you have with the gender changer. The I start up pqlink
on both machines, one as the host and the other as the master, and I'm
off and running. I don't use a null modem cable. Tell us what's happening
when you run pqlink, how you do it, the results you get, and we might
be able to figure out what's going wrong.

- Dayton

Welcome to the world of PoqetPC's by John Oram <norami@xxxxxxxx>

From: John Oram <norami@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Welcome to the world of PoqetPC's
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 09:28:57 -0800

Hi there:

Glad to see new folks finding PoqetPC's that are hidden out there. I was
a Poqet VAR from 1989 through their purchase by the present owner of the
patents and technology - FPSI (Fujitsu Personal System, Inc.) - we are
VAR's for FPSI, too.

Around here the PoqetPC is often used by my wife for research on book
projects (she has seven titles for SYBEX; look for "Darleen Hartley
Yourzek") DY is the fast typist, I am the one who took typing in High
School Summer School in the late 1950's to keep from being tossed out
the door :-/ One of the PoqetPC went to Europe a year ago and came back
with about half-a-meg of ASCII text notes on sites we visited and thing
we saw. DY is researching a new book topic for another late night
scenario of "why DID I start this project?" :-))

I still use the PoqetPC (with any external modem I happen to have with
me) to grab my email from the net using David Colston's Net-tamer (see
Bryan's PoqetPC web page or <http://www.nettamer.net> aa fast, DOS-based
mail and Usenet PPP application that has a below par built-in reader.
However, no matter its shortcomings Net-tamer DOES work with the PoqetPC
and the web. I was able to use a gateway service and download my emails
while on vacation in Europe. I regularly use the same process while on
the road doing business on the west coast.

I tend to stay in DOS ASCII format rather than using a particular
desktop word processor. We like "EYE RELIEF for Laptops helping you word
process without eyestrain" by Ken Skier of skisoft
<http://skisoft.com/>. I'm not sure if KEn still sells EYE RELIEF, but
go chase him down, it is a great ASCII word processor with three screen
type sizes that works with the PoqetPC's video system.

We are always interested in hearing new ways to use your PoqetPC so drop
us an email.

FYI - We will have a communications program working for the PoqetPC in
the next 60 days. First version will let you send alpha messages to a
commercial or private paging services. Other enhancements will follow.

So if you want your PoqetPC to do something neat with the comm port, let
us know. I'm willing to see if our programmers can do it.

We use DOS and the PoqetPC as my test for new projects and new
programmers. I say if it works in vanilla DOS with the PoqetPC's video
and comm port configurations, then it will work on just about any other
Intel X86 assembly based platform :-))

Later,
John Oram
norAmi
Sacramento, CA
<norami@xxxxxxxx>

Re: New Poqet Owner/ Serial question by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Poqet Owner/ Serial question
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:13:37 -0800

Hi John,

Yes, it is true that if you're using a Serial Port Adapter with your Poqet
PC, you will need a null-modem adapter or a "lap-link" cable to get
PoqetLink to talk to your desktop computer.

-- Bryan

At 07:23 PM 2/24/99, John E. Hayes III wrote:
>I just recently joined the world of PoqetPC owners. I managed to get a
>Classic w/ Wp5.1 and a 512k SRAM card for $40!
>
>Anyway, I was looking for a definitive answer to a question regarding
>serial connections on the PoqetPC. My PoqetPC came with a serial
>adapter. I attempted to use pqlink to connect to my desktop box using a
>serial cable and a gender changer. This did not work. Thus I assume that
>I need to use a null modem cable or adapter to connect the male db25 on
>my PoqetPC to the male db25 on my desktop box. Is this the case?

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009