From: Erik Ekman <eekman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: new member
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:47:16 -0500

I've been having problems with my mail server, so I apologize if there
are multiple copies of this message.    I don't actually have Poqet
yet.  I just bought a Poqet 0181 on Ebay and plan to use it to write
mostly.  I can fit a stripped-down version of Word Perfect 5.1 and a dos
version of Endnote (bibliography software) on a 2mb sram card with room
to spare and the other 2mb should hold everything I'm actually working
on well.  I've been synchronizing between dos and windows 95 with
interlnk/intersvr and a program called upcopy.

Since I'm writing this... Does anyone know where I might find cables for
this machine?  It is supposed to have a serial cable, but I'd like to
find another one and maybe even a parallel cable if one can be had.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
--

Erik Ekman
Spanish Department

Flash Memory on the POQET PLUS?? by Roger Fulton <fultonr@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Roger Fulton" <fultonr@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Flash Memory on the POQET PLUS??
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:29:09 -0500

Does anyone have any tips on how to use the flash memory on the plus?

Thanks

Roger

Re: new member by Roger Fulton <fultonr@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Roger Fulton" <fultonr@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: new member
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:27:26 -0500

>I've been having problems with my mail server, so I apologize if there
>are multiple copies of this message.    I don't actually have Poqet
>yet.  I just bought a Poqet 0181 on Ebay and plan to use it to write
>mostly.  I can fit a stripped-down version of Word Perfect 5.1 and a dos
>version of Endnote (bibliography software) on a 2mb sram card with room
>to spare and the other 2mb should hold everything I'm actually working
>on well.  I've been synchronizing between dos and windows 95 with
>interlnk/intersvr and a program called upcopy.
>
>Since I'm writing this... Does anyone know where I might find cables for
>this machine?  It is supposed to have a serial cable, but I'd like to
>find another one and maybe even a parallel cable if one can be had.
>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>--
>

>Erik Ekman

Erik-  California Digital may still have some of the cables you are looking
(Email me for the URL or do a web search).

Roger  Fulton

Another intro by T.C. Martindale <tcmartindale@xxxxxxxx>

From: "T.C. Martindale" <tcmartindale@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Another intro
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:34:31 PST

Okay, I finally got my Poqet PC and have been playing with it for a few
days, so I guess it's time for an introduction.

I'm a writer, and each of my books so far has been written at least in
part on some form of laptop or another.  First the Kaypro II (hey, at
least I could carry it to the living room!), then a NEC 8201, then a
Toshiba T1000.  That was as advanced as I got; from there it was a
technological backslide to the Tandy WP-2 and another NEC 8201 and even
a Z88.  But when I happened across Bryan's website and read some of the
archived postings about the Poqet, I knew this was the machine I needed.
Instant on, decent storage (compared to the NEC and Tandy) and runs my
program of choice, WordPerfect.  I was gonna buy a Poqet PC Plus from
California Digital but in talking to Bryan via email, I realized the
recharging battery packs just wouldn't cut it for me (thanks, Bryan).
So I decided to bide my time and keep my eyes open, and finally found a
Poqet Classic (s/n 016400029854) with two 2-meg SRAM cards and a serial
cable for $76.50.  Needless to say, I'm one happy camper.

The machine is in excellent condition.  All I had to do is add a null
modem adapter to the serial cable and hook it up to my old Leading Edge
PC and I was in business.  I'm cleaning any software off the cards and
have loaded WP5.0 just to see how it works (I already had a stripped
down copy available for running on my Toshiba T1000's ramdisk; less than
720K), though I'll probably put WP5.1 on it before long.  I also have a
copy of ZIP from Bryan's webpage (thanks again, Bryan) to transfer
files, which came in very handy since I didn't get the PQLink floppy
with the machine.  Works great.  I may put Zoomracks (database) on the
other 2meg card, if I can find a reason for using it.  Word processing
is what I do 99.9% of the time.  Now when it comes writing I have no
excuses, not when I can slip this honker in my coat pocket with a couple
of extra batteries and head out the door...

I was worried about the keyboard at first -- it's REALLY small, even
smaller than the GoType keyboard I bought to go with my PalmPilot.  But
the more I use the Poqet, the faster I'm getting (and the fewer
mistakes).  Normally I type around 120 wpm, so if I can manage a
relatively ponderous 70-80 wpm, I'll take it.  :-)  I really like the
feel of the key travel, and it's quiet enough to use in a meeting or
lecture.  I'm still worried about breaking that ribbon cable for the
screen, but as long as I'm careful, maybe it'll do okay.

So that's my story.  Just another satisfied convert.  Thanks to one and
all for the archived messages on Bryan's page.  They're a major reason I
decided to buy this thing.

Chris

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009