From: Daryl L Hardes <daloh@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n034
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:51:06 -0500

Reply to Michael Fetterman's suggestion and question, saying:
The current (or last months') issue of PC World advises how to enable
dual boot into WINDOZE 95 and another OS without other soft(where?);
to make it easier, try System Commander....For that matter, have you
tried

Yes, I've seen a few of these do-it-yourself directions, I even
downloaded one from a GeoWorks fan.   His wasn't as simple as
going to the semi-DOS prompt, though.  System Commander does
look easier, and safer, and they have a $20 rebate going.

A question or two about GeoWorks possibly on the Poqet for
anyone...

Years ago I loaded GeoWorks on a Toshiba 1000SE (80C86)
with no hard drive.  I'd added 6 megs of RAM, configured it as
a hard RAM drive E:, then compressed the drive with SuperStor
(after a magazine guru's article said it couldn't be done on that
machine - my singular semi-techie achievement). The T1000SE
still runs GeoWorks quiet and fast, plus Publish-It and a slew
of other programs.  Any reason why GeoWorks wouldn't work
on the Poqet Classic, given a 4-meg card?  Might have to dupe
GeoWorks into thinking drive A is C and vice versa temporarily,
I forget?  That was part of the trick of loading SuperStor on the
T1000SE (drive E there), by using the old DOS utility "Assign."

Anybody done this?  Or compressed SRAM cards with
SuperStor?  Or put GeoWorks on a flash card to run on the
Classic or Plus?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Reply to John Mercer re INTERSVR by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reply to John Mercer re INTERSVR
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:40:29 -0500

	William Moy has suggested using the DOS INTERSVR command with an
/rcopy
	switch to copy files to the Poqet.  Could he, or someone else,
expand on
	this. ... ...
	So now I use PQLINK with the Poqet Null Modem/VNA cable. I find
PQLINK
	clumsy and slow.  I'd really just like to do a full backup of
each card to
	my PC.  Using PQLINK requires a slow process of finding and
marking each
file.  Can someone give instructions for a quicker way?

Using INTERSVR /RCOPY is simple.  Connect Poqet to desktop via Null
Modem or Poqet's VNA cable via serial port.  Run INTERSVR/RCOPY from the
desktop.  Intersvr will guide you through.  Intersvr requires MODE.COM
to be on the destination PC, and Poqet does indeed have Mode in c:
drive.  Please refer to HELP INTERSVR for more detailed instructions and
other syntax usage from your destop's DOS (I forget which DOS version
first introduced INTERLNK/INTERSVR.)  Likewise, if you copy the two
files INTERLNK.EXE and INTERSVR.EXE to the Poqet, via PQLINK, you will
then be able to link up to another PC with just a null modem serial
cable; no floppy is needed to install VNA and PQLINK on to the desktop.
:)  Using the INTERLNK/INTERSVR connection is wonderful because it
recognizes the other PC's drives and you can run programs from them,
something you can't do with PQLINK.  To answer John's other question,
you can then copy multiple files and subdirectories to the desktop or
desktop's floppy with greater ease with XCOPY or DOSSHELL or Windows3.0.
:)

In rereading the Help file, I was reminded that there are some
limitations with INTERLNK/INTERSVR.  Using SYS.COM is one of them; this
answers my question why I was *not* able to make a Poqet card bootable
form the desktop's DOS.  So I ask again to Poqetland, has anybody found
a way to make a bootable SRAM card with a DOS greater than Poqet's 3.3
without having a PCMICA drive on their desktop?  If I did not own a
Poqet PC Plus (which has DOS V5 in ROM), I would have to be limited to
the Classis' DOS 3.3.

INTERSVR by AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx

From: AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx
Subject: INTERSVR
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:33:17 EST

John Mercer wrote:

        William Moy has suggested using the DOS INTERSVR command with
        an /rcopy switch to copy files to the Poqet.  Could he, or
        someone else, expand on this.

INTERSVR and the companion program for the paired computer, INTERLNK, are
available with MSDOS 6.0 and later. Copy to Poqet this way:

        1) Connect computer pair with null-modem serial cable.
        2) At computer with INTERSVR and INTERLNK on path, command
                intersvr /rcopy
        3) Follow the prompts.

The "boss" computer can be either one, but INTERLNK has to be loaded on it
as a device in config.sys. eg   DEVICE=A:\UTILS\INTERLNK.EXE  might be on
your Poqet. **see note below

No device driver is necessary on the server computer. Just command
                intersvr
on that computer when ready to transfer files.

        1) Attach null modem cable to computers.
        2)      intersvr        command on server
        3)      interlnk        command on client (boss)
        4)      use xcopy or other program to transfer, manage, or print
        files.

            **note      The computer using INTERLNK is going to be using
            its own DOS. Poqet DOS will be able to use a floppy drive,
            RAM drive, or printer on the second computer, but not a drive
            appreciably larger than 30 megs. For full use of all drives
            install INTERLNK on the computer with the later DOS.

Regards,
Anna

copies to jmercer@xxxxxxxx and to poqetpc@lists.best.com

Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n034 by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:06:12 -0600 (CST)

>>to make it easier, try System Commander....For that matter, have you
>>tried loading Geoworks under the DOS prompt?

>Yes, I've seen a few of these do-it-yourself directions, I even
>downloaded one from a GeoWorks fan.   His wasn't as simple as
>going to the semi-DOS prompt, though.  System Commander does
>look easier, and safer, and they have a $20 rebate going.

There are other free ones floating around -- notably those packaged with
FreeBSD and Linux. If you kiss up with someone owning OS/2, you can also
try that (which is also packaged with Partition-It or something).

>of other programs.  Any reason why GeoWorks wouldn't work
>on the Poqet Classic, given a 4-meg card?  Might have to dupe
>GeoWorks into thinking drive A is C and vice versa temporarily,
>I forget?  That was part of the trick of loading SuperStor on the
>T1000SE (drive E there), by using the old DOS utility "Assign."

I think I was able to get a old GeoWorks (v 1.1 or something) to work on a
512KB machine -- but never tried on the Poqet. I imagine the first problem
will be the storage. And since I only got one 2MB card, I probably would
never try that. Have you try to unload everything to free up the memory
before running GeoWorks?

Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged US$500 per e-mail,
  plus court cost.
Your contribution to Bill Gates' personal wealth: US$288.26
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009