  1. New User Questions by Don Ferguson <dferg@xxxxxxxx>
  2. Re: New User Questions by Alain <wyn@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

New User Questions by Don Ferguson <dferg@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Don Ferguson" <dferg@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: New User Questions
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:55:12 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BE4534.E6CFB320

Hello,
=20
Much of my work involves editing ascii files and I have been looking for =
a highly portable machine for doing this.  The PoqetPC looks ideal, =
especially since the DOS editor VDE is a long-time favourite.  I have =
ordered a machine from California Digital and expect it to arrive =
sometime next week.
=20
One of the issues that concerns me is the transfer of files between the =
PoqetPC and my other computers.  As I understand it this can be done in =
one of two ways.
=20
1. Files can be stored on a memory card and the card can be transferred =
to another machine, such as a laptop, which has a PCMCIA slot.  Do I =
need special software for my laptop to recognize the card or will it do =
so automatically?  Is there anything else that I should be aware of.
=20
2. Files can be transferred by a cable connection between the two =
machines.  I have used a null modem cable to link two PCs through their =
parallel ports, but it is not clear that this would work with the =
PoqetPC.  As I understand it, the PoqetPC has a single proprietary =
connector and different cables are required depending on the nature of =
the connection you are making.  The only cable available from California =
Digital is a serial cable and it is quite expensive.  Would it work for =
file transfers and, if so, how?  Are there other means available and, if =
so, how do I get the necessary cables?

More generally, I would like to get as much use out of my PoqetPC as I =
can.  Is there anyone out there who would be willing to part with =
cables, application roms (WordPerfect, Lotus etc.), or other =
accessories?  If not, what is a likely source for them?
=20
=20
Thanks,

Don Ferguson

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BE4534.E6CFB320

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Much of my work involves editing ascii files and I =
have been=20
looking for a highly portable machine for doing this.  The PoqetPC =
looks=20
ideal, especially since the DOS editor VDE is a long-time =
favourite.  I=20
have ordered a machine from California Digital and expect it to arrive =
sometime=20
next week.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>One of the issues that concerns me is the transfer =
of files=20
between the PoqetPC and my other computers.  As I understand it =
this can be=20
done in one of two ways.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1. Files can be stored on a memory card and the card =
can be=20
transferred to another machine, such as a laptop, which has a PCMCIA =
slot. =20
Do I need special software for my laptop to recognize the card or will =
it do so=20
automatically?  Is there anything else that I should be aware=20
of.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2. Files can be transferred by a cable connection =
between the=20
two machines.  I have used a null modem cable to link two PCs =
through their=20
parallel ports, but it is not clear that this would work with the =
PoqetPC. =20
As I understand it, the PoqetPC has a single proprietary connector and =
different=20
cables are required depending on the nature of the connection you are=20
making.  The only cable available from California Digital is a =
serial cable=20
and it is quite expensive.  Would it work for file transfers and, =
if so,=20
how?  Are there other means available and, if so, how do I get the=20
necessary cables?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>More generally, I would like to get =
as much use=20
out of my PoqetPC as I can.  Is there anyone out there who would be =
willing=20
to part with cables, application roms (WordPerfect, Lotus etc.), or =
other=20
accessories?  If not, what is a likely source for =
them?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Don =
Ferguson<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: "Alain" <wyn@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New User Questions
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:34:27 +10

> 1. Files can be stored on a memory card and the card
If your laptop runs Win95 I suppose you juste have to insert the card.
You will have a new volume  (like D:\).
this methode is great because this is the faster one, and you can work
directly on your file without duplicate then.
(don't forget to do a backup of your files)
(don't forget to close your application BEFORE you remove the card)

> 2. Files can be transferred by a cable connection between the two
machines.
You will need a special // or serial cable.

Al
Wyn@xxxxxxxx
Melbourne / Australia

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009