From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: No Respect for Classic Computers
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:59:26 -0800

Dear Mr. Kaidor:

Howdy!

Regarding...
> Hello,
>
>    As you remember, I bought a Poqet from a Silicon Valley tube vendor
> for $10... great deal, eh?  Well, I've got another one for you:  This
> morning at a ham radio auction/swap-meet, I bought ANOTHER Poqet!
>
>         >>>>>Five Dollars<<<<<<
>
>    Heck, you can't even buy a decent lunch for five bucks anymore!
> Who could resist?  So now I am the owner of TWO Poqet Classics.
>
>    Oh, and I met the guy I bought the first one from;
>
>    "Hey, I've got some sort of cable for your Poqet - it was laying right
> next to the PC, why didn't you take it?  Come on down and get it...."
>
>                          - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@xxxxxxxx )

Two comments:
a. While I don't approve of gambling, I'd really consider at least
buying a lottery ticket, were I you.
b. Another thing I'd consider doing is patronizing the tube/Poqet
distributor's store. Seems like a nice chap to me!

Good luck!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

P.S. Though I hardly use my Poqet anymore-- I'm trying to learn +386
assembly language programming, a task for which the Poqet hardly seems
suitable! <g>-- perhaps I could still be of some use to you fellows?
Some time ago I wrote a simple tetris-like video game designed espically
to run on simple and not necessarly 100% compatible IBM computers.
Actually its meant to run on both IBM & DEC Rainbow PC's running either
DOS (any version) or CP/M-86 v1.1. Should anyone like it with its source
code (RASM86; DRI's assembler) or just the executable alone feel free to
email me!

Re: No Respect for Classic Computers by Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: No Respect for Classic Computers
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:44:56 -0800 (PST)

Richard Kanarek wrote:

> Two comments:
> a. While I don't approve of gambling, I'd really consider at least
> buying a lottery ticket, were I you.

*** You don't know the half of it.  Two weeks before the first Poqet,
I bought a laptop.  At a general-purpose flea market.  For $10.  That
was a Toshiba "Portege" 650CT: Pentium 133, active matrix display,
32megs of ram, 1.3 gig drive, built-in sound card and 28.8 modem,
docking station, nice Targus case, all the original books and
aol/compuserv offers....

   The screen didn't work.  She told me that the laptop came from a
company that her company acquired.  The screen died, she took it to
her IS person, who threw up his hands and told her to throw it away.
So she brought it to the flea market instead, to make a few bucks.

   What neither she, nor the IS person realized, is that the computer
is under extended warrantee.  Until April of the year 2000.  Heck,
I didn't know, either.  As far as I knew, I was buying a pile of plastic
to maybe scrounge a disk drive out of and then throw in the dumpster....

   I think I may have used up my quota of luck for the year :-).  BTW,
the second Poqet is missing a horizontal line of pixels near the bottom
of the screen.  I understand that means that the screen cable has seen
better days.

                                 - Jerry

RE: Digest poqetpc.v003.n020 by Max Lent <max@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Max Lent" <max@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v003.n020
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:24:40 -0500

Jerry,

I think you are putting us on:-)

Max

Max Lent
Internet Strategist
E-mail: max@xxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.maxlent.com
Tele: 716-328-5126
24 Wellington Avenue, Rochester, NY 14611-3018

* replying to messages in this digest can be found at the
* end of the digest.

--------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v003.n020.1 ---------------

From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:28:34 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

   As you remember, I bought a Poqet from a Silicon Valley tube vendor
for $10... great deal, eh?  Well, I've got another one for you:  This
morning at a ham radio auction/swap-meet, I bought ANOTHER Poqet!

   Heck, you can't even buy a decent lunch for five bucks anymore!
Who could resist?  So now I am the owner of TWO Poqet Classics.

   Oh, and I met the guy I bought the first one from;

   "Hey, I've got some sort of cable for your Poqet - it was laying right
next to the PC, why didn't you take it?  Come on down and get it...."

                         - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@xxxxxxxx )

--------------- END poqetpc.v003.n020 ---------------

* POQET PC LIST SUBSCRIBERS:   When replying to digest messages,
* please change  the subject  of your reply  to something useful
* (instead of "Digest poqetpc.v001.n067"), and edit the contents
* of the message, quoting text where appropriate.
*
* Also, make sure that the "To:" field in your reply is set cor-
* rectly. Some mail readers may automatically send your reply to
* <PoqetPC-Errors@xxxxxxxx>,  so  if you want  to reply to
* sender of the message or to the entire maililng list,  you may
* have to adjust the "To:" field of your reply.
*
* To unsubscribe from the mailing list,  send a message with the
* word "unsubscribe" to <PoqetPC-Request@xxxxxxxx>. If you
* have any questions,  please feel free to send a message to the
* list owner at <PoqetPC-Owner@xxxxxxxx>.

Latest Poqet Acquisition by Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Latest Poqet Acquisition
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:53:59 -0800 (PST)

Greetings!

   As you may recall, I'm the guy who bought a Poqet at the junk shop for
$10... then another Poqet at a ham auction for $5.  ...

   I just went back to the junk shop where I bought the first Poqet.  He had
a "cable" for me.  I wondered if it was a serial or parallel cable.
Turns out it was neither, and I am now the proud owner of a Poqet floppy
disk controller.  Apparently, a prototype; it has a sticker on the bottom
that says "V1.01" and "Works w/New Poqet".

   Unfortunately, there is no drive.  Well, can't have'm all.

   I plugged in the cable, did CTL-ALT_DEL, and a message came up informing
me that my floppy's batteries were dead :-).  Of course, the usefulness of
a floppy cable with no floppy drive is limited.

   Which brings me to a few questions:

    *  Does the Poqet floppy use a standard Shugart bus?
    *  Anybody know the pinout of the connector?
   *  I read somewhere that the Poqet floppy has a serial port on the back:
      Are the serial signals brought out through the FDD cable?

   ...Thanks in advance,

            - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@xxxxxxxx )

Re: Digest poqetpc.v003.n020 by Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:00:40 -0800 (PST)

Max Lent wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> I think you are putting us on:-)

*** Not at all.  I have these two Poqet machines right here in front of me.

                 - Jerry

Let's hire Jerry to find Poqets... by daloh@xxxxxxxx (Daryl L Hardes)

From: daloh@xxxxxxxx (Daryl L Hardes)
Subject: Let's hire Jerry to find Poqets...
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:49:20 -0500

Jeesh, Jerry...

Poqets for $10 and then $5.  Rub it in.

You aren't going to let go of any you find, are you?
If you weaken, I have a pocketful of change...

Daryl

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Procomm in POQET by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Procomm in POQET
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 01:04:04 -0500 (EST)

Dear Peter,

I have used Procomm 2.4.2 (and subsequently Procomm Plus 2.01) for many
years with my desktops; is there any difference between it and the Procomm
you noted you have for the POQET ?

I confess that I have yet to use my POQET Classic, with cables, in new
condition; I enjoy just having it (having wanted one since they appeared
at that impossibly high price).

Isn't the comm program in firmware adequate if calling only a single
Internet shell account ?

On the other hand, has anyone implemented a UNIX connection from the
POQET ?

     Michael Fetterman
Voluntary Clinical Assistant Professor
of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery