From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Built-in Poqet programs
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:59:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

  My name is Jerry Kaidor.  This afternoon, I went down to a little
Silicon Valley surplus shop to buy a couple vacuum tubes.  He had the
ones I wanted, had a few more I was interested in, and his prices were
good.  After we finished our tube deals, I looked around at what he
had to offer in "general junk", and espied a Poqet sitting in a glass
display case.

   "How much do you want for that?"

   "Well, I don't know whether it works or not. How about $15?"
   "Have you got a couple AA's so we could try it out?"
   "Nope."
   "Well, since we don't have a clue as to whether it works or not,
     how about $10?"

  ...I peeled off two fives, and walked off with the Poqet.  Back at the
car, I pulled a couple cells out of my GPS, and the DOS prompt came up.
Cool!

   It's apparently a "Poqet Classic", it's got no expansion anything.
It's also missing the top door for the battery comopartment.  On the plus
side, everything seems to work, including the display cable, which I
understand is a weak point.

   I do have a question for those who knkow these machines, something I have
been unable to find in the FAQ:

   "How do you activate the resident utilities?"

When I type "pctools" it says that's already installed.  OK, there's a
separate method - keystroke combination? to start up the actual utilities.
But what is it?

   Thanks in advance....

                                      - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@xxxxxxxx )

Re: Built-in Poqet programs by Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Built-in Poqet programs
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:00:27 -0800 (PST)

Jerry Kaidor wrote:

>    I do have a question for those who knkow these machines, something I have
> been unable to find in the FAQ:
>
>    "How do you activate the resident utilities?"

*** Whups, I figured it out :-).  I used dos DEBUG to edit the autoexec.bat,
commenting out the "pqtools" line.  That let me execute pqtools from the
dos command line, and got me into the system, where I discovered
<poqet-ESC>.

                             - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@xxxxxxxx )

Help me figure this out. by Dillard, David E. <dedillard@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Dillard, David E." <dedillard@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help me figure this out.
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:16:26 -0500

David Dillard
Louisville KY

I have a Prolinear PS-1000, which I believe is similar if not identical
to the Poqet PC.  I'm hoping to use it to take notes and download the
files into my PC to clean up.  I still haven't figured out the file
transfer procedure, but was nearly successful a few days ago.  What's
the least difficult way to do it?
It sounds like some of you are doing a lot of the word processing work
right on your palmtops.  I only have 1 meg of RAM on my SRAM card, so
that limits me.  Where can I get a good deal on 2 meg SRAM cards?  I got
the 1 meg card at www.tlai.com for $34. ppd., which seemed like a pretty
good deal.

Re: Help me figure this out. by Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jerry Kaidor <jerry@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help me figure this out.
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:22:51 -0800 (PST)

Dillard, David E. wrote:

> David Dillard
> Louisville KY
>
> I have a Prolinear PS-1000, which I believe is similar if not identical
> to the Poqet PC.  I'm hoping to use it to take notes and download the
> files into my PC to clean up.  I still haven't figured out the file
> transfer procedure, but was nearly successful a few days ago.  What's
> the least difficult way to do it?
> It sounds like some of you are doing a lot of the word processing work
> right on your palmtops.  I only have 1 meg of RAM on my SRAM card, so
> that limits me.  Where can I get a good deal on 2 meg SRAM cards?  I got
> the 1 meg card at www.tlai.com for $34. ppd., which seemed like a pretty
> good deal.

*** Will these tlai cards work in a Poqet?  It _does_ seem like a good deal.
The "specifications" page on that site said that they require 5V supply,
and I understand that the Poqet only offers 3V.....
                                  - Jerry Kaidor

p.s.  I'm not totally sure that I have the Right Stuff to work with my
new Poqet - "Right stuff" being good hands to bang on that little tiny
keyboard, and good eyes to look at that little tiny screen.  If anybody's
interested, I might consider selling it.  Sure is cute, though :-).

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009