From: Anthony Iannone <aiannone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Windows on the PoqetPC
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:43:47 -0600

Hi. I Have a PoqetPC Classic with 2 2mb SRAM cards, and have been
running Microsoft Windows 2.03 with Microsoft Word For Windows 1.10 on
it sucessfully for some time now. Does anybody know how to make the
poqetPC reverse it's scrren colors, since I can't make Windows 2.x
properly do it via software. Also, I have been using a virtual EMS
program to emulate EMS memory via Disk Space to increase the performance
of Windows and other programs. Does anybody know if there is a way to
reclaim part of the D: ram disk to conventional memory as well? (512kb
is a tight squeeze even for Windows 2.x, even without pq tools loaded,
etc)... Also, anybody interested in obtaining the Virtual EMS program,
Windows 2.x, or any other of my Poqet Programs, feel free to email me...

aiannone@xxxxxxxx

GEOS/Ensemble ; Stacker by Anthony Iannone <aiannone@xxxxxxxx>

From: Anthony Iannone <aiannone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: GEOS/Ensemble ; Stacker
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:22:30 -0600

Question: has anybody here had any luck running either any version of
GeoWork/Ensemble or Stacker (or both) on their PoqetPC?

Feedback would be appriciated!

Thanks,
aiannone@xxxxxxxx

Re: Windows on the PoqetPC by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Windows on the PoqetPC
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:49:56 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Anthony Iannone wrote:

>Hi. I Have a PoqetPC Classic with 2 2mb SRAM cards, and have been
>running Microsoft Windows 2.03 with Microsoft Word For Windows 1.10 on
>it sucessfully for some time now. Does anybody know how to make the
>poqetPC reverse it's scrren colors, since I can't make Windows 2.x
>properly do it via software.

My guess is that even Windoze would write to video RAM directly. If that's
so, then I don't think TSR software (which usually intercept BIOS calls)
would work.

The best solution is patch the driver Windoze uses to draw to CGA, unless
Poqet has some sort of function that could customize the color palette.

Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $500 per e-mail,
  plus court cost.
Your contribution to Bill Gates' personal wealth: US$232.32

RE: Windows on the PoqetPC by MOY, WILLIAM <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>

From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:48:26 -0500

I'm so glad that there are others who would appreciate a solution to
reversing the screen colors on the Poqet besides myself; it's been a
quest of mine for quite a long while; also for the same reason, running
Windows with correct imaging.  However, there are a few other programs,
mostly games for CGA which just doesn't look right unless the screen is
reversed.  I was hoping the last chapter in the posted Technical Manual
for the Poqet would be of some help, unfortunately it's too tech for me.
I believe I had a response from Bryan saying that it cannot be done, but
I didn't understand *why*;  it seems like a solution is workable (maybe
it's just *who* is going to do it.)

Even so, running Windows 2 or 3 is not so bad if you know how to set
colors to the objects that we are allowed to change (not hard coded
colors).  There are some object colors which can only be changed
manually by using a text editor on the IN file, not through Control
Panel.  I can give details to those who are interested (or post it if
many are interested.)  When I run Write or Word, it is dark lettering on
a light background and Excel looks pretty decent too.  Objects that
would look normal if screen reversal can be achieved are such things
like Control Panel Icons (Fonts especially) the cursor, hourglass, the
Min/Max buttons for windows to name a few.

While I was writing this I just received Virtual Bob's posting re
Windows writing directly to screen.  I have a Bondwell 310 CGA laptop
which displays Windows correctly when I reverse the screen via
Bondwell's software; I cannot use it on the Poqet because it requires a
special "Bondwell" key sequence to activate the TSR.  I came across a
shareware that says it can link up another display to your computer, but
I haven't tried it yet - I'll report if it's a success.

*I'd* like to know if anyone out in Poqetland has been able to run
Windows while in Power Save Mode.  This is one reason I don't run
Windows stuff unless I really need to.  I understand that Windows
overtakes that part of the Poqet that runs the Power Save Mode (could it
be RAM or some kind of interrupt??)

I just got a Poqet Prime!  :)  What a difference with Windows with an
extra 128K of real RAM!  (It's such a shame Poqet's RAM is not
expandable.)  :(		-Bill

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009