  1. Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n090 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n090 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n090
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:38:06 -0700

Greetings!

Regarding...
poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Omigod! They've Killed Kenny!!
> Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:19:11 -0400
[edited]
> Both units surprised me shortly after I bought
> them and I opened to use them to find burn marks around the edges of the
> LCD screen!  Bryan (anybody!) can you tell me what may have caused this?
Sorry to read of your misfortune!

> The first one I was using discount batteries purchased from an Odd Lot
> store.  I asked if this might have possibly caused the problem but, no
> answer.  I was afraid to use the batteries on my good unit, so I threw
> them away.
Hardly likely. It would have had to have produced too much voltage in
order to put your Poqet at risk. First, I've never heard of discount
batteries doing this & since I use to be an Electronics Tech. you'd
think I would have heard of it if it was common (though admittedly this
is not something I went looking for). Further, those increasingly common
Lithium AA cells put out slightly more voltage than any other type of AA
battery (based upon my limited observations). I assume I am not the only
one who at least occasionally uses them in my Poqet & I certainly
(thankfully) have never experienced any obvious damage to my Poqet. If
they didn't/don't harm my Poqet then I really doubt you have much to
worry about from the discount bat's.
Alternately, the made-by-communist-slave labor bat's may leak or
otherwise damage whatever device you put them in. For this and other
reasons having little to do with the death of your Poqet, you might want
to stick with a reputable brand.

> My only unsupported theories is when a batteries are dying, can they
> give a sudden burst of energy?
I do not believe that dying things, be they in nature or electronics,
give out bursts of energy before they die. Though its been a long time
since I studied anything to do with "Primary Cell's", I do feel I'm on
quite firm ground when I say that batteries in general and dying ones in
particular do not produce, in & of themselve's, bursts of energy.

> , or, do you think a certain electronic component is shorting out with age??
It would hardly seem likely. I don't believe that semiconductors are
bothered by age though they may deteriorate because of what happens to
them as they age (i.e. mfg deficiencies, heat, being left in your jacket
when you do a laundry-- I once had the only laundry that beeped but
that's a different story, etc.). Probably the only things which have a
finite and *relatively* short life are electrolytic capacitors which are
common in electronic devices (though not necessarily in the Poqet). They
do not, however, commonly short. Though, as I just recalled, they are
more sensitive to failure when they've just been returned to service
after an extended period of idelness. Humm...

> Now I have two burnt out Poqets that I'm saving for parts.
You know, I just wonder what Poqet/Fujistu was thinking when they
designed the Poqet to have a sealed case. The original list price was, I
understand, for something like $2000 dollars; how much more would a few
Japanese screws and brass inserts have cost??? What did Poqet/Fujitsu do
when they received a unit for repairs? Just throw it away?

> any ideas what I can do with the units without the screens?
I have several but I don't think you'd like me to share them. <g>

> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.           -Bill
Good luck!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009