From: john s mercer <jmercer@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n084
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 08:32:18 -0400 (EDT)

I just upgraded to Windows 95 and have run into the expected problems, but
I've forgotten what the solutions are.

In the PC, I had been using an Educalc card-reader and SMC Swapbox PCMCIA
software, under  Windows 3.1 and DOS.  None of that works any longer.
Under Windows 95 I can get the drive recognized, but the directories read
only as trash.  What are the possibilities?

Second, I can't seem to get PQLINK running under a DOS session of Windows
95.  Have others had this problem?  All the software seems to work fine,
but the VNA connection is never made.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you could give me.

John S. Mercer
jmercer@xxxxxxxx

small utilities, games by AnnaBlade <AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx>

From: AnnaBlade <AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: small utilities, games
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 22:22:07 EDT

Enjoyed reading Daryl Hardes's choices for work and fun. I ALWAYS like reading
about someone using Qedit, TSE, and LIST. The one I would add is GREP. I use
this text parser to find and to "put" text into summary files.

Daryl, did you mention that TSE adds columns? That eliminates most of my
spreadsheet needs -- a REAL plus when working on the Poqet. And TSE will leave
the non maskable interrupt alone, with one simple change you can do through
TSE menus. (Means you can use it without disabling power management.)

The text record = the database = the spreadsheet.

By the way Daryl, I tried to find the version of Freecell that will run in
modest DOS. After two downloads -- both of which required Windows -- I decided
to ask you: Which one? While I was at www.filepile.com I looked to see whether
GREP could be had there. Yes, several versions.

Happy computing!

Anna

My husband asked me whether filepile has software that will run on Loonix....
He's a Mac user trying to take an interest in my favorite command lines.

Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n084 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 04:59:44 -0700

Daryl:

Just a short note to say welcome & thanks for sharing your experiences!

Regarding some of the information you posted:
a. I think that at least some of the text file searching programs you
discovered are variants of the Unix "GREP" utility (which would search a
list of file(s) for a particular string or "rex" expression). I was
lucky in that my trusty & now elderly copy of Borland's Turbo C 2.01
came with one; if you're not completely happy with the utilities you
have, you might wish to search whatever file archives you come across
with the keyword "grep".
b. A while ago I wrote an extremely low frils retro Tetris like game for
use on IBM/DEC Rainbow PC's running DOS or CP/M-86 (its 100% assembler
(RASM/ASM86) source code could be compiled for either platform &
operating system). Though I can't over stress how basic it was, it only
occupied something like 7.5Kb of disk space; if anyone's interested,
perhaps I can eventually locate it, tidy it up, and post it somewhere.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009