From: Andrew Demack <andrewd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Good Editor
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 13:15:25 +-1000

Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have been using a commercial program from about 10 years+ ago: XyWrite
II.  It was once a favorite of professional writers because of a
plethora of features.  It is pretty compact considering its power, and
it behaves well with the powersave feature.

---
But where can you get a copy of Xywrite these days???

-- Andrew (I use VDE, which is OK, but Xywrite would be better!)

Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n056 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n056
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 06:41:43 -0800

Hello.

Regarding:
> Subject: Good Editor
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:14:21 -0800 (PST)
>
> Can anyone recommend a good editor for the Poqet that runs well with
> the computer in power save mode and where I can get a copy of it.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Art

In short, no. <g> But here's what I've tried so far:

1. Epsilon ver. 5.03: As good a powerful Emac (programmer's) text editor
as ever was made and very well supported by its developer (Lugaru). It
runs perfectly on both my trusty but now stolen Lexmark MB-10 (variable
speed XT'ish computer)-- even with its improved 8086 compat. processor
running at a mere 3.5mhz!-- and the Poqet but unfortunately it keeps the
Poqet in non-power savings mode all the time.
(BTW Epsilon-- now up to ver 8?-- is currently available for DOS,
Windoze, OS/2, and some flavors of UNIX.)

2. WordStar ver. 4.0: Though it is circa 1987 program and the original
company which produced it is long out of business (though Softkey bought
the rights to WordStar but has since killed it) it is *still* available
"new" & supported (for both DOS and CP/M) from a company which made
arrangements to continue selling it when Micropro decided to drop CP/M
and move on to ver 5. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a proper
manual. It does, however, come with a (not at all equally useful) book
featuring tips on using all of MicroPro's elderly software (which are
similarly available).

Keeping in mind that I've only used it for about a half hour on the
Poqet, it seems to be running reasonably well. The only problems I've
noticed so far are:
a. The display does not update as it should. Changes on a line, for
example, are only *fully* displayed when you move to another line or
when you take some other action to make that part of the screen refresh.
b. Sometimes its necessary to hold down the shift key or some other
non-printing key in order to nudge the computer out of power-mode
induced hibernation. This only seemed necessary (so far) at the begining
& end of a spell check.

Note that I was *just* able to install a *very* minimalist version on a
stacked .5mb SRAM card; there was no room left for actual documents. The
stacking didn't help too much as the spell checker dictionary files are,
I believe, already compressed.

Full "licenced" versions of WS4 are available from:
	Trio Co. of Cheektowaga, LTD
	716-892-9630 (Upstate NY)

A WS4 users manual is available alone or as part of a surplus or "other"
WS4 package from:
	Elliam Associates
	805-466-8440 (CA)

Note: Elliam's bread-and-butter is CP/M software. Do be sure to make
clear that you want a DOS version of the software if you purchase the
software there. While the spell checker is different in the CP/M & DOS
versions, the actual Wordprocessor is identical from an operational
standpoint; either the DOS or CP/M version of the user's manual should
work just fine.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

Re: XyWrite by Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx>

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XyWrite
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:38:14 -0600

Hi, Russell,

It is a nice program.  In its day, arguably the best on the market.  I think
their downfall was not making the transition to wysiwyg & windows years ago.

It does use conventional text files with embedded control commands.

Here are some of the system requirements:
IBMPC with minimum 128K bytes memory, monochrome or graphics adapter with 80
column display, one diskette (or SRAM in our case) drive, and DOS 1.0, 1.1,
2.0, or 2.1.  Xywrite II can use up to 640K bytes memory for larger files.

As I look at the manual, the publisher (in 1984) was:

XyQuest Inc.
P.O. Box 372
Bedford, MA 01730
(617) 275-4439

I don't know if they are still in business, or if the copyrights to the
software are still extant somewhere.  I bought this way back when it was
actually a leading product.

Incidentally, I have also found a 1985 vintage copy of Borland Reflex in one
of those recycled computer and software stores.  It also seems to run well
and behave with the powersave feature on the Poqet.

I am selling off my whole Poqet collection (Poqet classic, serial/modem
cable, 2MB SRAM card, along with the software I've assembled for it.  I'll
even throw in a 9600BPS US Robotics external modem) for $225 plus any
shipping charges.

Steve

Re: XyWrite, Part 2 by Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx>

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XyWrite, Part 2
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 11:49:30 -0600

Apparently, XyWrite is still a viable commercial product, with a DOS (III+)
version and a version for windows.  It seems to be still preferred by some
professional writers, with special features attractive to the newspaper
publishing industry.

There is a website for a company called The Technology Group
( http://www.tgrp.com/xyinfo.htm ) that provides info on the current products.
I don't know if they sell, or own the rights to, XyWrite II.

Steve

Steve Harrison wrote:

> Hi, Russell,
>
> It is a nice program.  In its day, arguably the best on the market.  I think
> their downfall was not making the transition to wysiwyg & windows years ago.
>
> It does use conventional text files with embedded control commands.
>
> Here are some of the system requirements:
> IBMPC with minimum 128K bytes memory, monochrome or graphics adapter with 80
> column display, one diskette (or SRAM in our case) drive, and DOS 1.0, 1.1,
> 2.0, or 2.1.  Xywrite II can use up to 640K bytes memory for larger files.
>
> As I look at the manual, the publisher (in 1984) was:
>
> XyQuest Inc.
> P.O. Box 372
> Bedford, MA 01730
> (617) 275-4439
>
> I don't know if they are still in business, or if the copyrights to the
> software are still extant somewhere.  I bought this way back when it was
> actually a leading product.
>
> Incidentally, I have also found a 1985 vintage copy of Borland Reflex in one
> of those recycled computer and software stores.  It also seems to run well
> and behave with the powersave feature on the Poqet.
>
> I am selling off my whole Poqet collection (Poqet classic, serial/modem
> cable, 2MB SRAM card, along with the software I've assembled for it.  I'll
> even throw in a 9600BPS US Robotics external modem) for $225 plus any
> shipping charges.
>
> Steve
>
> Russell Lewis wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I have been interested in a finding a copy of XyWrite.  Do you know of
> > any place where I can find an earlier copy of this program (either
> > version II or III?)  I have never used the program, but I understand it
> > is quite powerful and saves files as text with formatting codes in angle
> > brackets.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Russell Lewis
> > (White Oak TX)
> >
> > >Art,
> > >
> > >I have been using a commercial program from about 10 years+ ago: XyWrite
> > >II.  It was once a favorite of professional writers because of a
> > >plethora of features.  It is pretty compact considering its power, and
> > >it behaves well with the powersave feature.
> > >
> > >Steve

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009