  1. Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n042 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n042 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n042
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:33:36 -0800

Hello.

> Regarding an MFM Poqet cable, I doubt the Poqet BIOS would support
> it..I'd guess that a SCSI interface, via parallel port or ISA bus cable
> would be more frootful.

Attaching one of those Parallel Port Drives would certainly be more
portable & probably better in every way than using any sort of ISA card
attachment-- assuming that you could find one which would work with a
80C88 CPU (which, I understand, is inside the Poqet); most require at
least a Intel 80188/NEC V20 (though they often *claim* to require a
minimum of a '286).

As far as the Poqet's BIOS needing to support a MFM HD, it doesn't need
to at all; a proper IBM XT's BIOS doesn't support any sort of HD either.
For it to support a XT HD adaptor card (MFM, SCSI, or whatever), the
Poqet would only need to support checking for add on BIOS (as a proper
XT/XT Clone does). A XT type HD adaptor (any sort) would take care of
installing its own support if given the chance.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009