From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n041
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 05:26:46 -0800

Hello.

Regaring:
> So, it should be possible to build a pin-to-pin adaptor to connect the poqet
> to a standard ISA slot. Then, a parallel port card or even a MFM controller
> could be used directly with the poqet...
>
> That's in theory...  but what about doing this for real ?

Three things to consider in case anyone might be considering such a
course of action:
a. The ability of the Poqet to recognize 8bit XT cards like a HD
controller would depend upon whether or not its bios searched for
installed ROM's like real XT's (& AT's, & etc.) do.
b. Think Heath/Zenith data system's 158. This computer-- which I own--
was built around a backplane. Cards (some extra large with an additional
connector) were installed into it in order to construct the computer.
c. http://www.meci.com/ has acquired a bunch of elderly ZDS parts;
perhaps they would have the above backplane too? It should certainly be
cheaper than a new industrial card.

Again, the above was only offered for your consideration; I am certainly
not recommending anything.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
RKanarek@xxxxxxxx
R.Kanarek@xxxxxxxx
(Addrs's Obfuscated to confuse junk mailers; I'm sure you can figure out
the proper addresses!)

Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n041 by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:15:26 -0500 (EST)

Regarding an MFM Poqet cable, I doubt the Poqet BIOS would support
it..I'd guess that a SCSI interface, via parallel port or ISA bus cable
would be more frootful.

Michael Fetterman
Clinical Assistant Professor
of Dermatology and Cutaneous
Surgery, University of Miami
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Re: Digest poqetpc.v002.n041 by Peter Vieth <Fitek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Peter Vieth <Fitek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:36:28 -0800

> --------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v002.n041.3 ---------------
>
> From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v002.n038
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:24:55 -0600 (CST)

> >>It is true that the expansion port on the Poqet is a superset of the IBM-PC
> >>ISA bus.  The reason it's a "superset" is that the expansion port also
> >>contains all the RS-232C standard signals (RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS, etc.).
>
> >So, it should be possible to build a pin-to-pin adaptor to connect the poqet
> >to a standard ISA slot. Then, a parallel port card or even a MFM controller
> >could be used directly with the poqet...
> >
> >That's in theory...  but what about doing this for real ?
>
> Mostly in materials. First, where would you get the connector for the
> Poqet? I sure don't fancy making one myself (since I don't know the exact
> itching process). An ISA backplane is simple enough to aquire -- just go
> to one of those industrial computer dealer and order an blank backplane
> with everything already installed.
>
> Of course, this won't be anywhere as portable. Since the ISA slots would
> need a power supply that Poqet can't do, you'll need a geniune power
> supply that plugs into AC (or battery power with voltage regulator of
> sort). Technically it's doable. But would anyone *wants* to do the
> thingie understanding that it'll be as portable as a desktop PC/XT?

	I don't know, my friend and I investigated this but gave up because it
was too difficult. We got pin assignments for all sorts of standard and
non-standard devices like floppy drives and even some hard drives. We
couldn't find the Poqet equivalent for several of the floppy pins-- and
even one wrong pin means it won't work. Now its quite possible to get a
laptop floppy drive and hook up some batteries. It won't be AS portable,
but a lot more functional. There are also a lot of small modems out
there. Finally, you could build yourself a docking station-- perhaps the
size of a suitcase. It would be practical enough to carry around in a
car and then just hook the poqet in at the end of the day or something.

--
Peter Vieth
Fitek@xxxxxxxx

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009