From: MarkWGPSU <MarkWGPSU@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: act! on poqet
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:36:21 EST

Just a note to say that I sorted out my trouble getting act to generate a
report.

mark in womelsdorf

RE: Digest poqetpc.v002.n038 by Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx>

From: Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v002.n038
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:48:31 EST

>>Am I not correct that the Poqet does not merely require a cable for it
>>to be attached to anything but also requires some cktry too? Isn't the
>>port on a Poqet a superset of an IBM 8bit PC slot (which has no direct
>>support for a parallel, serial, or FDD connection)?
>It is true that the expansion port on the Poqet is a superset of the IBM-PC
>ISA bus.  The reason it's a "superset" is that the expansion port also
>contains all the RS-232C standard signals (RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS, etc.).

So, it should be possible to build a pin-to-pin adaptor to connect the poqet
to a standard ISA slot. Then, a parallel port card or even a MFM controller
could be used directly with the poqet...

That's in theory...  but what about doing this for real ?

Ciao,
Alessandro

RE: Digest poqetpc.v002.n038 by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:24:55 -0600 (CST)

>>>support for a parallel, serial, or FDD connection)?
>>It is true that the expansion port on the Poqet is a superset of the IBM-PC
>>ISA bus.  The reason it's a "superset" is that the expansion port also
>>contains all the RS-232C standard signals (RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS, etc.).

>So, it should be possible to build a pin-to-pin adaptor to connect the poqet
>to a standard ISA slot. Then, a parallel port card or even a MFM controller
>could be used directly with the poqet...
>
>That's in theory...  but what about doing this for real ?

Mostly in materials. First, where would you get the connector for the
Poqet? I sure don't fancy making one myself (since I don't know the exact
itching process). An ISA backplane is simple enough to aquire -- just go
to one of those industrial computer dealer and order an blank backplane
with everything already installed.

Of course, this won't be anywhere as portable. Since the ISA slots would
need a power supply that Poqet can't do, you'll need a geniune power
supply that plugs into AC (or battery power with voltage regulator of
sort). Technically it's doable. But would anyone *wants* to do the
thingie understanding that it'll be as portable as a desktop PC/XT?

New rates for unsolicited e-mails:
Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $3000/KB, $5000 min.
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009