  1. sram and windows95 by Camnitzer1 <Camnitzer1@xxxxxxxx>
  2. re: New to the list by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

sram and windows95 by Camnitzer1 <Camnitzer1@xxxxxxxx>

From: Camnitzer1 <Camnitzer1@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: sram and windows95
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 15:38:04 EST

Hi, I am Luis, a new suscriber from Long Island and an old and not very
computer literate Poqet 0164 user. I use it only for word processing (Word
Perfect 5.1). I used to stick the sram card into my wife's Librex and read it
without difficulty. The Librex passed away last summer and now I am trying to
read the card on my Toshiba Tecra 500CS. After reading the FAQ web page I
installed the two device= lines. I learned that in Toshiba you have to disable
four lines of Cardwork in the Config.sys window. Also learned that this should
be accessed through Run and sysedit and not through Find and Config.sys. The
latter is all that Toshiba could tell me. California Digital was a waste. I am
now at the point that the laptop registers the existence of a sram card and
even states that a new D drive exists, but when I want to access it  denies
access because the "drive is not ready." That is how far I got. I also read
all of 1996 newsletters (I am taking a rest before dealing with 1997) and
found out that my problem was shared at least during 1996. I am hoping that
during 1997 (or 1998) someone found a solution that may save me the purchase
of a CE palmtop or a pcmi drive for my wife's desktop (what brand should that
be, in case it is cheaper than a CE palmtop). Thanks for any suggestion. Luis
Camnitzer, Camnitzer1@xxxxxxxx

re: New to the list by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: re: New to the list
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 05:39:55 -0800

Dear Mr. Taylor:

Welcome!

Regarding:
> Hi. I'm new to this mailing list. I don't actually own a Poqet PC yet,
> but I'm seriously considering one. I'm interested in a PDA, but since
> I'm a touch typist that does a lot of writing and I have no special
> need for a slick GUI, I want a PDA with a real keyboard. As far as I
> can tell, the Poqet is it.
Not counting the Toshiba Libretto (sp?), I think you're probably right
about the Poqet being your only real choice. This is especally true if
you are an avid DOS user and already have XT/CGA or MDA compatible
software you like.

> Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. And if anyone is
> selling a Poqet and/or accessories, please let me know.

California Digital (www.cadigital.com) is selling the 512kb version of
the Poqet for $198 (unused). They are also selling new/unused serial &
parallel adaptor cables (which contain built in electronics in adition
to simple wire, as I understand) for a pricey $70 a piece (you may be
able to pick up a used cable from one of the members of this list for
aprox. 1/2).

Quick review of CADigital (IMHO): Not overly forthright but probably
quite safe to order from (as long as you know exactly what you want).

> Thanks,
> Art

Your quite welcome!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

P.S. Just a thought; have you also considered a Dauphin DTR-1?
(http://www.eskimo.com/~toby/dtr1/)

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009