From: ahm@xxxxxxxx (Andreas Meyer)
Subject: Re: Unix (was Re: card reading)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:47:59 -0800 (PST)

AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx writes:

> If you get any form of Unix onto the Poqet, I want to know how....

What Unix-like functionality do you want/need?

If you need it all (ie. a shell and utils), MKS Toolkit should work fine
although it might require a bit of "slimming down".
A similar effect can be achieved using Ian Stewartson's ksh-like shell
and utilities: ms_sh23b.zip and uxutl23[a-d].zip
See http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/msdos/sysutl-pre.html

I really only wanted a decent version of "vi".  I was able to purchase
a copy of PC/VI before that company went out of business.  But alas,
PC/VI doesn't support macros.
There is a vi clone called VIM (vi improved) which does support macros,
but the binary is rather large. It's also somehow managed to corrupt
itself on my Poqet. (Maybe I don't need macros after all. :-)
See calvin22.zip, pcvile.zip, stevi69x.zip, vim46r16.zip and xviexe.zip
under http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/msdos/editor-pre.html

HTH,
Andy
--
 Andreas Meyer    ahm@xxxxxxxx   http://www.spies.com/~ahm/
   Wanted: HO-scale slot cars; Aurora ThunderJet 500, A/FX or others.

SRAM & Libretto! by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRAM & Libretto!
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:20:52 -0600 (CST)

Being sick and tired of downloading and formatting the SRAM card again and
again when I need it, I checked the boot record. The format used by Poqet
on 2MB SRAM is (the important stuff):

512 bytes/sector
1 sector/cluster
2 copies of FAT
Media descriptor byte of F9h
12 sectors/FAT
1 side

The current, default format of SRAM by majority of PCMCIA devices makes 2
sectors/cluster, 1 copy of FAT, 8 sectors/track, and 2 sides (among
others) out of 2MB SRAM cards. No wonder Poqet don't recognize those.

And yes, by manually entering these numbers to the boot block, I was able
to use MS-DOS 5's FORMAT and have the Poqet recognize the card.

Poqet vs. Libretto!

Hee hee hee! Well, I just got Libretto 60 a month before announcement of
Libretto 70. No big deal. I don't belive in MMX nor 60MHz motherboard
anyway. Compared to the Poqet, the Lib is 1/8" deeper, 1/2" shorter, and
about the 1/2" taller. No contest on the screen, speed, storage, etc.,
here. But one important thing -- how's the keyboard? Well, being 1/2"
shorter, the keyboard on the Lib is smaller than Poqet. But despite having
smaller foot-print keyboard, the Lib actually has the same pitch width as
the bigger Poqet keyboard -- approx. 14mm. Of course, Toshiba cheated
somewhat to get this sort of pitch width. The left-most keys -- tab, caps
lock, shift, etc. are all shortened. In fact, the tilde key is complete
moved from next to the [1] key to next to the space key.

The feel of the keyboard, though, differ a lot. Whereas the Poqet do solid
clicks, the Lib has a sort of soft, controlled travel. Sort of like IBM
keyboard vs. M$ keyboard. Being used to the real IBM keyboard, I do
consider the Lib (and M$) keyboard to be mushy. But I consider Lib to be
slightly better than M$...

Well, now I got three palmtops! Cool! Next target... IBM PC110. Not only
it's going to be the smallest, but also promises to be the most gadgety of
the bunch.

New rates for unsolicited e-mails:
Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $3000/KB, $5000 min.
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009