From: "K. Peterson" <kpeters@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question on reading SRAM in a laptop.
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 01:22:22 -0800 (PST)

To John Tester et.al.

I have no experience in laptop/poqet SRAM so this is a little conjecture.
(Note: lots of people have installed SRAM pockets (drives?) such as the
thincard drives B. Mason advertised, into their desktop machines and the
cards show up simply as another drive because the hardware driver always
comes up at boot whether there is a card inserted or not.)
It sounds like your socket shares the electrical connections with the
a:drive, but tries to utilize the drivetable (CMOS?) values from boot,
like the CMOS stuff we set up via the BIOS setup programs on desktop
computers.  I'd suggest looking into your setup program to see if it has a
SRAM choice for drive a: rather than the 3 1/2-1.44.  Or maybe put the
SRAM in before boot, and the laptop will sort it out?   This sounds a
little like that exasperating DOS habit of reassigning the drive letters
when you add a new physical drive.  You know, start with a single physical
drive partitioned to be C: and D:, add another physical drive, and the new
one becomes D:, your old D: becomes E:, and your icons can't find the
programs you used to have on D:!  Good luck.  I'd like to know the real
answer when you find it.
Ken Peterson

Laptop Recognizing Poqet SRAM Card in PCMCIA Slot by RFROOSA@xxxxxxxx

From: RFROOSA@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Laptop Recognizing Poqet SRAM Card in PCMCIA Slot
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:21:45 -0500 (EST)

To: John Tester
From: Rich Roosa(RFROOSA@xxxxxxxx)

Hi John,
I had a poqet for about a year, and I had no problem writing or reading data
with my laptop on 2MB Verbatim SRAM cards used in the poqet.  I have a
Leading Edge Aviva 2000 laptop - 486/DX2-66, 8MB RAM, Windows 3.1.  I use a
Zoom 14.4 PCMCIA fax modem, and it came with Phoenix Technologies PhoenixCARD
Manager Plus Version 3.20 software.  I loaded the complete S/W package on my
laptop, and as long as an SRAM PCMCIA card was plugged into one of the 2
PCMCIA slots before I booted-up the laptop, windows file manager recognized
the existence of the card as either a D: or E: drive.  I was able to access
the card, read it, write to it, etc. - then plug it into the Poqet and read
it and write to it as well.  It was very easy loading S/W to the card to use
in the poqet, as well as transferring data.

I'm not sure if Windows 95 adds any problems, but I would think that as long
as you have a good card manager S/W package on your laptop, you shouldn't
have any problems.

Regards,
Rich Roosa
Go Hoakies!!(I'm a Penn Stater, but my buddy went to VA Tech)

card reading by AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx

From: AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx
Subject: card reading
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:27:45 -0500 (EST)

>I'm tempted to put Linux and FreeBSD on my laptop and Poqet, and
>just go that route, just for spite.
>John T. Tester

If you get any form of Unix onto the Poqet, I want to know how....

Anna

Re: card reading by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: card reading
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:53:44 -0600 (CST)

>>I'm tempted to put Linux and FreeBSD on my laptop and Poqet, and
>>just go that route, just for spite.

>If you get any form of Unix onto the Poqet, I want to know how....

Minix...

New rates for unsolicited e-mails:
Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $3000/KB, $5000 min.
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Re: SRAM laptop swap by Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx>

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SRAM laptop swap
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:15:05 -0600

I have used a 2 MB Verbatim SRAM card between my Poqet classic and a
Compaq laptop running Windows 3.1 for some time.  I had to activate a
PCMCIA driver in either the config.sys on the Compaq.  It lets me hot
swap, and a little window pops up to let me know the Compaq sensed the
card coming or going when I insert or remove it.  The system assigns
drive letters to the PCMCIA slots every time it boots up, whether there
is actually a card inserted or not (in fact, as I recall, it screws up
the startup if there is a SRAM in one of the slots when the Compaq is
booted - it tries to boot off the SRAM).  I have never tried it with a
Windows 95 system.

Steve Harrison
Milwaukee, WI

SRAM PCMCIA Cards & Windoze 95 by Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>

From: Richard Kanarek <RKanarek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRAM PCMCIA Cards & Windoze 95
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:16:49 -0800

Dear Messrs. John Tester & "tdc":

Hello.

I regret I cannot help you with your Windoze '95 problem as I have yet
to downgrade to the OS but I thought it might be of some use if you
chaps knew that the fault was with W95 (or your operation of it) and
(probably) not with your computers/SRAM cards.

I had been using SRAM cards formated by the Poqet on my IBM Thinkpad 500
(running DOS) without any problems whatsoever. In fact, the cards ran
better on my TP than on the Poqet. For some reason one 2MB SRAM card
wouldn't Stack(er) on the Poqet but would on the TP yet the card worked
fine once Stacked on either machine.

I must confess to being quite surprised when two (allegedly) Windoze
knowledgeable chaps at work couldn't access my SRAM card on their W95
computers when I had no dificulty on my trusty DOS machine. There is
clearly some trick to using SRAM cards under W95 (other than just
reformating and installing proper DOS <g>) which you chaps need to sort
out. Good Luck!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
RKanarek@xxxxxxxx
R.Kanarek@xxxxxxxx

P.S. If it's of any use, under DOS it is necessary to insure that a
*proper* device driver is installed to enable PCMCIA support. Perhaps
you chaps would do well to check in this direction? Also, if you ever do
get things sorted out, do let us all know!

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009