Volume 002, Number 002, 15 Aug 1997

  1. introduction by sunfish@xxxxxxxx

Digest Articles

introduction by sunfish@xxxxxxxx

From: sunfish@xxxxxxxx
Subject: introduction
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 06:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Just a quick note of introduction. I've been a Poqet user for at least
three years now. I started with a Prime that I picked up used. It lasted
for about a year until the ribbon cable got so cracked the screen would
not work.

I was able to trade the prime in for a Plus which also lasted for about a
year. This time the LCD screen cracked and I lost the display.

I now am working a the Classic that I got from a friend who never used
his. Of all of them I liked the Plus the best because of the backlit
screen and the flash ROM. I wasn't too fond of the short NiCad battery
life though.

I use the Poqet almost daily, mostly for BBS and Internet access and
keeping notes. When the notes file gets too big I upload it to my
desktop, a Commodore 128! I also keep a small gas mileage and car maint.
database. This is also archived to the Commodore's hard drive via a null
modem.

I use a copy of ProComm and it's editor for communications and text
editing. I sometimes use the built-in utilities, such as the calculator.
I have PKZIP/PAK/LHA handy for compression/decompression, and a batch
file to restore a custom config.sys and autoexec.bat when I do a cold
reset. I seem to remember that I didn't need to do a reset when I changed
batteries in the other two machines, but in the classic I do.

Unfortunately, the ribbon on my present machine is beginning to fail and
I may not have it to use very much longer. I have started looking for
some kind of replacement, but there really is nothing I'd want to plunk
down the money for. I've seen some very small Windoze boxes for HUGE
bucks, but the display is so crowded it's very hard to read (yes, I'm at
the age where your arms start to get too short!). I may just buy another
Classic and cross my fingers.

Geoff
              \\                      Geoff Sullivan        sunfish@xxxxxxxx
 \\   ....;;;;;;;;;;o.      _ \\                         FidoNet: 1:101/337
 //    ''       //                              http://www.gis.net/~sunfish
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009