From: "Jerry Glenwright" <j.glenwright@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: re: Z88s and possible Poqet sources
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:42:09 +0100

Hey Andrew

I'm a recent subscriber to the Poqet mailing lists too. I'm also a
journalist, I use a Z88 (and have for a long time now) as well as a Tandy
102, Atari Portfolio, Psion Series 3 (wrote the first book to be published
in the UK about it) and ... well, lots of other portables and palmtops as
well as my beloved Poqet! I'd miss my Z88 if it curled it's little silicon
toes...

CalDigital is IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of! Unless one of the older hands here
in the mailing list knows better, I would say the company's email is dead.
The web site however, is on line (at least, I can reach it from the UK) and
CalDigital does, indeed, advertise Poqets for sale at $189 (if memory
serves...). Guess the company has a fax number but it isn't listed on the
web site (as far as I can see).

As for your other questions: The Poqet 'Prime' that I have has 640K of RAM
plus 20 or so Ks worth of RAM drive designated as D: There's also a ROM
drive designated C: which holds the DOS and built-in applets.

To use the machine productively, you'd need to acquire a PCMCIA Type I SRAM
or flash memory card otherwise it's a case of eating into the system memory
for a RAM drive (D: is of fixed size as Bryan kindly told me in an earlier
posting). I can't get a card so I'm using RAMDRIVE.SYS to create a 150K RAM
drive (E:) to store my programs.

Keyboard is good once you get used to it. Battery life is nothing short of
incredible -- two AAs last for ever! Far, far longer than the Z88.

You'll also need a serial 'interface' to do anything productive too, though
see my earlier posting for details of how I home-brewed one -- it wasn't
hugely difficult.

BTW, you can use the Poqet with Net Tamer to surf the web, collect email
and read usenet groups (though not if you're using system RAM as a drive
like me -- hell!), which is pretty useful for journalists!

Dunno about Aus. for a source of Poqets. They're pretty thin on the ground
here in the UK but CalDigital does advertise itself as selling silicon
anywhere and everywhere "... in the free world".

Good luck

Jerry

PS. Hope more experienced Poqet posters aren't too annoyed at my answers
and assumptions in this posting ;-)

cracking hindge & the pin by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: cracking hindge & the pin
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:49:17 -0500 (CDT)

My rarely used, 1-year old Poqet is already developing a hairline crack on
the hindge. I've heard some people pulling out the pin and put insomething
less destructive. Well, I'm thinking of doing so. But how? How do I pull
the pin out without destrying the whole thing or make the hindge crack
worse?

New rates for unsolicited e-mails:
Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $3000/KB, $5000 min.
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Re: Z88s and possible Poqet sources by Sabrodsky@xxxxxxxx

From: Sabrodsky@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:34:26 -0400 (EDT)

I recently had a bad experience purchasing a Poqet and ram card from
California Digital. The Poqet arrived with a defective screen and after I
returned it the company charged me a $45 "restocking fee." When I called to
complain, they told me after a long delay that the charge was actually
because the "ram card was damaged in shipping." They did not return repeated
phone calls to discuss the matter.
I know other people on this list have had positive experiences with
California Digital but based on this episode I could not recommend purchasing
from them.
Regards,
Sascha Brodsky

Re: Z88s and possible Poqet sources by Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>

From: Virtual Bob <h93young@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:31:53 -0500 (CDT)

>I know other people on this list have had positive experiences with
>California Digital but based on this episode I could not recommend purchasing
>from them.

Me neither. Although I later found out the "defect" is well within the
manufacturing deviation (buzz from the speaker). But general experience
with CaDigital is quite BAD.

But there's actually one good guy there. And he'll pretty much let you do
anything you please without "surcharges" and rude behavior. Sorry,
couldn't recall his name for now as I haven't done any business with them
for at least an year.

As far as other staffs are concerned, they're quite rude, ignorant, and
act like baboons.

New rates for unsolicited e-mails:
Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $3000/KB, $5000 min.
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009