From: Paul Bigwood <bigwoodp@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cables and card batteries
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 11:55:36 +0100

In message <199705012044.NAA19556@xxxxxxxx>, AnnaBlade@aol.com
writes

..
>        The part about the parallel to serial converter got may attention. I
>ran right out to Radio Shack thinking this might be a way to print directly
>to my parallel printer from my Poqet serial cable. There was no such
>converter in the catalog at Radio Shack (or on the shelf). I tried a number
>of other connections and programs. No luck. Is there a converter that, what?,
>gathers the bits to send bytes to the parallel printer?

Anna,

The POQET expansion slot is a modified ISA slot bus. This means that
active devices can be attached to the bus directly. The Poqet PC
parallel cable adaptor and External Floppy drive adaptors are examples.

The Serial Port COM1 is an internal ASIC (special chip) on the
motherboard of the POQET. Its input and output connectors are on the
expansion slot.

There are/were two types of serial cables available for the POQET. One
is a normal serial cable and the other is a null modem cable. The
details are in the FAQ I think.

The Parallel port cable has active devices in the connector and is a
standard PC parallel port. It can be connected to any Parallel port
printer if you have the correct adaptor cable. Most Parallel printers
use what is called a 'Centronics' type connector. PC parallel printer
ports use a FEMALE DB25 type connector. ( Serial Ports on PCs are
normally MALE ( mostly 9 pin these days, but were commonly 25 way in the
past).

The floppy cable adaptor for the POQET extended the serial connector
cables to a 9 pin connector on the back of the portable floppy unit, but
they didn't do the same on the parallel cable.

This means that you cannot use a serial printer connected using the
parallel port cable directly.

However, since the serial port connectors are available on the expansion
slot ( I can't remember which pins exactly - details are in the FAQ) you
could wire an external MALE DB9 connector to the relevant edge connector
pins on the parallel port adaptor cable. Not something to be undertaken
lightly!

Remember also that the print deamon is not on the C: by default. Its on
the Utility disc that comes with the Poqet. You need to copy it to a
card ( A or B) and ensure that it is in your path.

ref Low battery in cards.

I've changed the battery before without losing the data, but I have also
done it where I have lots everything. It seems to depend upon how long
the battery has been in service. I havent had to change a card battery
for a long time. Remember that the cards are powered by the main POQET
AA batteries when they are installed in the PC.  I always back the card
onto a floppy or the hard drive of my desktop before I change the
battery.

Regards,

--
Paul Bigwood G3WYW
Commercial Sales Manager,

SRAM Batteries, Parallel Port Converters, Card Drives by Richard Secrist <RSECRIST@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Richard Secrist" <RSECRIST@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRAM Batteries, Parallel Port Converters, Card Drives
Date: 04 May 97 15:02:04 -0700

	I got an external PCMCIA card reader driver for my desk top
	and don't have to worry about losing anything when I swap
	batteries (just back it up first and then copy it back).
	I have used the SCT Card Link drive ($164 from EduCalc)
	with my Poqet no sweat.

	Of course as an alternative you could just buy dual-battery
	SRAM cards (which EduCalc also sells, but they're a lot more
	expensive than what you can get from California Digital).
	I have never tried a dual-battery card myself.

	EduCalc sells a Serial/Parallel converter for use with
	HP 95/100/200es that ought to work for $54.95, but I don't
	have one myself.

	If you want to try them out EduCalc is at 800/677-7001
	(Laguna Niguel, CA near Irvine [greater LA area]).  The
	also take orders for used HP PDAs, although you might have
	to wait a while (they don't forget though, and you can
	decline if it is not what you want later or you change
	your mind).

	Regards,
	rcs

	(not affiliated with EduCalc outside of being a satisfied
	customer)

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n101 by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n101
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 18:38:33 -0400 (EDT)

Serial to parallel converters have worked well for me, using serial printers.
I never tried a serial to parallel converter.

Turning the notion around, therefore, why not print to a serial interface
printer from the POQET serial port ? Many wp programs, including
WordPerfect and Professional Write allow port specification. Or, there
are some small DOS utilities to allow port redirection. Old serial
interface printers are usually cheap (ie Laserjets for $50). Cheaper and
more elegant than a converter.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009