From: Virtual Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cables and card batteries
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:47:38 -0500 (CDT)

>        The part about the parallel to serial converter got may
>attention. I ran right out to Radio Shack thinking this might be a way to
>print directly to my parallel printer from my Poqet serial cable. There
>was no such converter in the catalog at Radio Shack (or on the shelf). I
>tried a number of other connections and programs. No luck. Is there a
>converter that, what?, gathers the bits to send bytes to the parallel
>printer?

I don't recall Radio Shack having a parallel-serial converter. They are
available through mail-orders elsewhere from $50 to about $80 depending on
the features. Note there's no guarantee that you can print from the
printer even if you have the converter...

>The card battery question:
>        Have any of you changed your card battery - after a low battery
>warning - without losing data? I'm thinking that, if there's a little juice
>left in the battery at the low warning, then you can remove the card, remove
>the drawer, put the card back into the socket, and change the battery.
>Anybody tried that?

I've imagined to replace these PCMCIA SRAM card batteries without losing
the contents, you need to change the battery while the card is in the
computer (and the computer is on). I may be wrong here, however...

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Any unsolicited e-mails will be charged $1500/KB, $3300 min.
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Serial -> PCMCIA adapter by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Serial -> PCMCIA adapter
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 17:21:45 -0700

I found this in one of the many computer catalogs that I get:

Now you can use PCMCIA Cards on any Computer
As an external PC card holder with a standard serial interface, the
Modulette enables any Type II PC Card modem or GSM data card to connect to
any desktop, laptop or PowerBook computer even if it doesn't have a PC Card
slot!  No special software needed.  Just a serial port.  Supports data
communication up to 115,200bps.  Lightweight and battery powered (3AA).
Cables included.
PCMCIA Card Modulette     Item #9013     $295

It looks like this thing just makes it so you can talk to the serial port
in most PCMCIA modem cards.  You slip your PCMCIA modem in the slot, hook
the serial port on the other end of the "Modulette" to the serial port of a
computer, and away you go.  It might be a way to get a PCMCIA modem to work
in a Poqet (even though it's not what you'd think of at first).  It didn't
look too horribly big in the catalog picture (little bigger than a pack of
cigarettes).

You can reach 1-800-batteries at -- you guessed it 1-800-batteries
(1-800-228-8374).  They have a Web site at <http://www.800batteries.com/>,
but I found their online catalog to be pretty useless.  You can order stuff
on the Web site, though.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along.  I haven't bought one of these,
so I'm not 100% sure it would work with a Poqet, but it looks like it
should.  If anyone does buy one of these things, please let the rest of us
know how it works (or doesn't).

Re: cables and card batteries by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:42:23 -0700

At 4:42pm on 1 May 97, AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx wrote:

[...]

>The card battery question:
>        Have any of you changed your card battery - after a low battery
>warning - without losing data? I'm thinking that, if there's a little juice
>left in the battery at the low warning, then you can remove the card, remove
>the drawer, put the card back into the socket, and change the battery.
>Anybody tried that?

Yup -- this method works great.  I used to recommend this to users all the
time.  The only danger is that you have to be a little careful not to bend
the pins in the socket.

-- Bryan

Re: cables and card batteries by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:42:25 -0700

At 5:47pm on 1 May 97,
Virtual Bob ("the artist formerly known as Psycho Bob")
<honge@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

>>The card battery question:
>>        Have any of you changed your card battery - after a low battery
>>warning - without losing data? I'm thinking that, if there's a little juice
>>left in the battery at the low warning, then you can remove the card, remove
>>the drawer, put the card back into the socket, and change the battery.
>>Anybody tried that?
>
>I've imagined to replace these PCMCIA SRAM card batteries without losing
>the contents, you need to change the battery while the card is in the
>computer (and the computer is on). I may be wrong here, however...

I don't think you need to have the computer on for this to work.  Just
having the SRAM card in the machine should be OK.

-- Bryan

Re: Parallel data transfer by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Parallel data transfer
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:42:21 -0700

For all intents and purposes the Poqet has a unidirectional parallel port.

(To confuse the issue further, the Poqet hardware is actually capable of
being bidirectional, but its not compatible with the ECP or EPP standards).

However, many file transfer packages (LapLink is one, intersvr/interlink
may be another) can do bidirectional data transfer over a unidirectional
parallel port.  You can only transfer data 4 bits at a time in the
"reverse" direction, but there is a way to do it.  It has to do with
transferring data over the "control" signals that are normally used by the
printer to send status information (ready, paper out, etc) back to the
computer.

-- Bryan

Re: cables and card batteries by K. Peterson <kpeters@xxxxxxxx>

From: "K. Peterson" <kpeters@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 00:22:26 -0700 (PDT)

Serial-parallel converters exist, but are not common nor cheap.  If you
enjoy hunting and a bit of a gamble, try to find one of the early-eighties
print spoolers like the "Angel".  These were used back before the
Centronics interface became defacto standard, to let you spool a kilobyte
or two.  To be able to sell the same unit to everybody, they acepted your
choice of serial or parallel inputs and serial or parallel outputs: 4-way
usage.

Ken Peterson

New Subscriber Introduction + ACT! Contact Mgmt S/W on the Poqet by RFROOSA@xxxxxxxx

From: RFROOSA@xxxxxxxx
Subject: New Subscriber Introduction + ACT! Contact Mgmt S/W on the Poqet
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:22:58 -0400 (EDT)

---------------------
From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Subject: Batch files & Time/Date
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:43:09 -0500 (CDT)

bmoy@xxxxxxxx wrote, on the subject of batch files and time/date..

>SETUP.BAT
>=========

>@copy a:\autoexec.bat	d:\
>@copy a:\config.sys		d:\
>@date 4-30-97
>@time 12:00

>Simple but effective for my purposes and you only
>have to set date and time once a day if you're not
>particular about the exact time.

    You apparently aren't using the updated os$clk2.sys, which correctly
saves the time and date after initial entry.  I believe you can get a copy
from Bryons' Poqet Page.  Load it as a device in your config.sys.

    If you're going to keep a selection of 'utility' batch files, it makes
things much neater to put them in a sub-dir, and include it in your PATH.
PATH is far too useful and integral to a DOS system to not use to its fullest.

    A way to spice up the older version of DOS, you can download many little
programmes, mv (move), for example, to make DOS 3.x more 'complete'.

    A little more extravagant route is to run 4dos.  I'm using version 3.1,
because the older version takes up less memory and storage.  The basic 4dos
files take up ~230k, with help utility.  With no TSR's loaded, chkdsk
reports 426,928  bytes free.  Included with a bunch of new command-line
commands is an 'alias' function which is similar to the DOSKEY programme in
later DOS versions.  In fact, the additional commands make it very much like
DOS 6.x.

-j

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n100 by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n100
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 16:33:58 -0400 (EDT)

I doubt that the BIOS in the POQET will recognize a 1.44 drive.
An external dxevice driver, such as drivparm in the config.sys file MIGHT
do the job.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009