From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Serial Soultions Seriously Sought -Reply
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:42:20 -0400

Sender: poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx

Hi Bill!

It sounds like your "RUPP" cable is a null-modem
serial cable.  There are wires crossed in that
cable so that two computers can talk to each
other.
("Normal" serial cables were originally intended
to allow computers to talk to modems, so you had
computer -> modem -> modem -> computer.  The
"null-modem" cable allows two computers to talk to
each other without the modems -- hence
"null-modem").

Anyway, what you probably need in addition to the
gender bender is a null-modem adapter,
specifically a "full-handshake" null-modem
adapter, if you can find one.  These two (gender
bender + null-modem adapter) could replace your
"RUPP" cable, I think.

As far as parallel transfer is concerned, what
software package are you using for parallel
transfer?  PoqetLink doesn't support parallel
transfers, although LapLink (and others) do.  If
you're trying to use LapLink, or some other such
software package, make sure you have "EPP", "ECP",
and/or
"enhanced" modes turned off.  Parallel ports on
modern computers have some enhanced circuitry that
allows them to be bidirectional.  The Poqet's
parallel port is unidirectional, however, so you
have to let the software know that.  Most tranfer
software can still tranfer over non-enhanced
parallel ports, however.

Reply:

Thanks! Brian! for your prompt reply and I am off
to Radio Shack as I type!   (...well, not
really...) but I will let you know the outcome of
both: finding a non-bulky null-modem adapter and
my experimentation with LapLink (I'm pretty sure I
have an old copy of that somewhere!)

In any case, right now, my first main transfer
program is PQLink (of course!) but it is certainly
not my preference; I only use it when there is
nothing else available or set up (like when I have
to clear or format my card drives), in that case I
prefer DOS's INTERLNK.EXE/INTERSVR.EXE.  I like
PQLink becuz the program is permanently available
and transfers are quick. Still, one still needs to
have a floppy copy of PQLink installed on the
other computer in order to transfer files.
Otherwise it's still useful as a quick and dirty
(GUI-ish) file-manager although one directory at a
time.  Also, it too bad that one cannot run
programs from PQLink, as you can with
INTERLNK/INTERSVR.  In fact, you don't even need
INTERSVR on a Poqet drive at all!, just INTERLNK,
only 17,197 bytes and fits nicely in drive D. It's
getting harder to find anything that fits in Drive
D these days! -total drive space: 22,528. :(
Once activated, you can run INTERSVR or any other
program from your linked hard or floppy drives.
That's nice.

To all list-subscribers: I think it would be GREAT
if you would share your favorite setup tips or
batch files, don't you???

Here's 4 of mine:

Because I'm always re-configuring for optimum
performance, my Poqet often locks-up, in which
case I have to do that cold boot with my pen and
of course I lose my personal settings because of
cold boot default CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.  So
every time I personalize those files in drive D
via PQTools, I make an copy of them in drive A
with a few additional keystrokes.  When you are
finished modifying the file in drive D, press
F2-Enter to save the file, then press F2-Ins-A-Del
-voila.

After a cold boot, I hate resetting everything
including DATE and TIME. Here's a batch file that
helps me out called SETUP.BAT that resides
somewhere in my PATH:

SETUP.BAT
=========

@copy a:\autoexec.bat	d:\
@copy a:\config.sys		d:\
@date 4-30-97
@time 12:00

Simple but effective for my purposes and you only
have to set date and time once a day if you're not
particular about the exact time.

If you ever had Poqet tell you that you're "Out of
environment space" you'll appreciate this, this
will save you from having an extended PATH and
you'll still be able to run a program no matter
what drive or directory you're in, just make sure
this batch file is within your existing PATH.  For
instance if you use VR.EXE (Vertical Reader
-excellent!) and it's located in
B:\PROGRAMS\DOS\BOOKS (to exaggerate the point)
you'd be wasting environment space if you included
this particular path in your AUTOEXEC.BAT PATH
statement; instead create a batch file VR.BAT:

VR.BAT
======

B:
CD\PROGRAMS\DOS\BOOKS
VR.EXE

That's it, simple, effective.

If you're like me and want to release as much RAM
as possible, I've elected to REMark out my VNA and
PQTOOLS statements from my AUTOEXEC.BAT.  This
will free up 40,048 bytes of RAM!  Create this
batch file for a one keystroke access to PQTools:

T.BAT
=====

VNA
PQTOOLS

Make sure this file resides somewhere within your
PATH.  (I guess I feel slightly silly mentioning
these somewhat obvious batch files, but I was a
keystroke-wasting creature of habit until I
created these OFTEN used batch files.)

Question: Last time I inquired about a way to
release LIM-MC from RAM I thought it was executed
from CONFIG.SYS and Brian replied that there's
usually no way but to reboot a CONFIG.SYS
execution of a program, but it's not, it's in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  Any further thoughts, anyone?

-(more to come) Bill

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n099 by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n099
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:02:38 -0400 (EDT)

I suspect that the RUPP cable is a null modem cable used with the RUPP
Bros. program "FASTLYNX" (much like LAPLINK). If you put a null modem
adapter in (RS has one that looks just like the gender bender), that
likely will work.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Parallel data transfer by faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)

From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Subject: Parallel data transfer
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 06:05:07 -0500 (CDT)

    I don't believe you'll be able to do bi-directional data transfer via
parallel on a Poqet Classic.  Correct me if I'm wrong Bryan, but isn't the
Poqet Parallel non-bidirectional?

    If it IS bi-directional, try the DOS intersvr/interlnk software..

-j

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n099 by wayne24@xxxxxxxx

From: wayne24@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 17:05:37 GMT

On Wed, 30 Apr 97 18:21:38 +0000, you wrote:

>* replying to messages in this digest can be found at the
>* end of the digest.
>

>--------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v001.n099.1 ---------------
>
>From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
>Subject: Serial Soultions Seriously Sought
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:55:33 -0400
>
>Hi all!
>
>Can anyone explain what may be happening?  When I
>got my Poqet from California Digital, I also
>bought the Parallel Cable so that I could print
>and also I thought that I would be able to
>transfer info via the parallel port (so far, I
>have not been able to link computer via parallel.)
> Well, in trying out all sorts of different cable
>converters and connections, I found one that
>worked: I hook up the Poqet cable with the
>parallel female connection to a Radio Shack male
>parallel to female serial converter... and this
>gets connected to an nine feet red cable with the
>company name "RUPP".  This nine foot cable has on
>each on it's end, male parallel connections and
>branching off where the cable connects to the
>parallel handles are short cables that ends with
>male serial connections.  In essence, I transfer
>info using "RUPP's" two male serial connections.
>
>Thinking I could do away with this bulky cable, I
>bought from Radio Shack something called a Gender
>Changer; it's a one inch connector with two male
>serial connections on opposite sides.  I thought
>this would work - but it doesn't (?blink-blink?)!=20
>Everything's the same except the Gender Changer
>replaces the RUPP cable.  I don't get it!!, can
>anyone explain what may be happening.
>
>Also, is it possible to transfer data just by
>using the parallel port? - that would simplify
>thing a lot!  I tried using redirection with no
>success...  Thanks much for anyone's help!	-Bill
>

>--------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v001.n099.2 ---------------
>
>From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: 1.44MB FDD (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n096")
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:35:41 -0700
>
>I was just going over some old list traffic and found this...
>
>Virgil,
>
>Are you talking about a *Poqet* floppy disk drive here?  I thought those
>were already 1.44 MB. =20
>
>-- Bryan
>
>At 02:18 AM 4-11-97 GMT, you wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>I am also interested in learning how to swap out my 720k diskette
>>drive with a 1.4mb disk drive.  I tried putting in a regular 1.4 drive
>>(everything matches up) but I am not certain how to set the jumpers on
>>the 1.4mb.  If anyone has information on this I would appreciate
>>knowing about it.  I have converted my diskette drive to use an
>>outboard battery charger.
>
>[...]
>
>>Appreciate any info.
>>
>>Virgil Medlin

Bryan--

Many thanks for replying to this.  Yes, my diskette drive has a 720k
drive in it.  I tried one 1.44mb but it didn't work even after I tried
different jumper settings.  I notice that some 1.44mbs apparently
don't have jumpers--some have edge cards--some have pins to make the
connection.  The Poqet connection takes pins.  Later I discovered that
the 1.44mb I was trying to connect to the Poqet drive is
defective--though it apparently worked fine in an old Packard Bell
286.  So I guess I need to get another drive to try out--that may be
all there is to it.

Thanks,

Virgil
P.S.  I have a parallel cable now (Poquet parallel) and it works fine
-- thanks to a list member who sold me one--and I am able to connect a
Trantor 348 Parallel port SCSI cable to it.  Thus far everything I
have connected to it works fine. =20

cables and card batteries by AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx

From: AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx
Subject: cables and card batteries
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:42:31 -0400 (EDT)

Bill writes:
>worked: I hook up the Poqet cable with the
>parallel female connection to a Radio Shack male
>parallel to female serial converter... and this

        The part about the parallel to serial converter got may attention. I
ran right out to Radio Shack thinking this might be a way to print directly
to my parallel printer from my Poqet serial cable. There was no such
converter in the catalog at Radio Shack (or on the shelf). I tried a number
of other connections and programs. No luck. Is there a converter that, what?,
gathers the bits to send bytes to the parallel printer?

The card battery question:
        Have any of you changed your card battery - after a low battery
warning - without losing data? I'm thinking that, if there's a little juice
left in the battery at the low warning, then you can remove the card, remove
the drawer, put the card back into the socket, and change the battery.
Anybody tried that?

Thanks,
Anna

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009