From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Serial Soultions Seriously Sought
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:55:33 -0400

Hi all!

Can anyone explain what may be happening?  When I
got my Poqet from California Digital, I also
bought the Parallel Cable so that I could print
and also I thought that I would be able to
transfer info via the parallel port (so far, I
have not been able to link computer via parallel.)
 Well, in trying out all sorts of different cable
converters and connections, I found one that
worked: I hook up the Poqet cable with the
parallel female connection to a Radio Shack male
parallel to female serial converter... and this
gets connected to an nine feet red cable with the
company name "RUPP".  This nine foot cable has on
each on it's end, male parallel connections and
branching off where the cable connects to the
parallel handles are short cables that ends with
male serial connections.  In essence, I transfer
info using "RUPP's" two male serial connections.

Thinking I could do away with this bulky cable, I
bought from Radio Shack something called a Gender
Changer; it's a one inch connector with two male
serial connections on opposite sides.  I thought
this would work - but it doesn't (?blink-blink?)!
Everything's the same except the Gender Changer
replaces the RUPP cable.  I don't get it!!, can
anyone explain what may be happening.

Also, is it possible to transfer data just by
using the parallel port? - that would simplify
thing a lot!  I tried using redirection with no
success...  Thanks much for anyone's help!	-Bill

1.44MB FDD (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n096") by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: 1.44MB FDD (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n096")
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:35:41 -0700

I was just going over some old list traffic and found this...

Virgil,

Are you talking about a *Poqet* floppy disk drive here?  I thought those
were already 1.44 MB.

-- Bryan

At 02:18 AM 4-11-97 GMT, you wrote:

[...]

>I am also interested in learning how to swap out my 720k diskette
>drive with a 1.4mb disk drive.  I tried putting in a regular 1.4 drive
>(everything matches up) but I am not certain how to set the jumpers on
>the 1.4mb.  If anyone has information on this I would appreciate
>knowing about it.  I have converted my diskette drive to use an
>outboard battery charger.

[...]

Re: Serial Soultions Seriously Sought by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Serial Soultions Seriously Sought
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:35:43 -0700

Hi Bill!

It sounds like your "RUPP" cable is a null-modem serial cable.  There are
wires crossed in that cable so that two computers can talk to each other.
("Normal" serial cables were originally intended to allow computers to talk
to modems, so you had computer -> modem -> modem -> computer.  The
"null-modem" cable allows two computers to talk to each other without the
modems -- hence "null-modem").

Anyway, what you probably need in addition to the gender bender is a
null-modem adapter, specifically a "full-handshake" null-modem adapter, if
you can find one.  These two (gender bender + null-modem adapter) could
replace your "RUPP" cable, I think.

As far as parallel transfer is concerned, what software package are you
using for parallel transfer?  PoqetLink doesn't support parallel transfers,
although LapLink (and others) do.  If you're trying to use LapLink, or some
other such software package, make sure you have "EPP", "ECP", and/or
"enhanced" modes turned off.  Parallel ports on modern computers have some
enhanced circuitry that allows them to be bidirectional.  The Poqet's
parallel port is unidirectional, however, so you have to let the software
know that.  Most tranfer software can still tranfer over non-enhanced
parallel ports, however.

At 10:55 AM 4-29-97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>Can anyone explain what may be happening?  When I
>got my Poqet from California Digital, I also
>bought the Parallel Cable so that I could print
>and also I thought that I would be able to
>transfer info via the parallel port (so far, I
>have not been able to link computer via parallel.)
> Well, in trying out all sorts of different cable
>converters and connections, I found one that
>worked: I hook up the Poqet cable with the
>parallel female connection to a Radio Shack male
>parallel to female serial converter... and this
>gets connected to an nine feet red cable with the
>company name "RUPP".  This nine foot cable has on
>each on it's end, male parallel connections and
>branching off where the cable connects to the
>parallel handles are short cables that ends with
>male serial connections.  In essence, I transfer
>info using "RUPP's" two male serial connections.
>
>Thinking I could do away with this bulky cable, I
>bought from Radio Shack something called a Gender
>Changer; it's a one inch connector with two male
>serial connections on opposite sides.  I thought
>this would work - but it doesn't (?blink-blink?)!
>Everything's the same except the Gender Changer
>replaces the RUPP cable.  I don't get it!!, can
>anyone explain what may be happening.
>
>Also, is it possible to transfer data just by
>using the parallel port? - that would simplify
>thing a lot!  I tried using redirection with no
>success...  Thanks much for anyone's help!	-Bill

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009