From: bertelli@xxxxxxxx (Carlo Bertelli)
Subject: problems with serial port and so on
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:39:51 +0100

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with my Poqet classic. I cannot use the serial
connection anymore. To be more precise, the receive signal is not detected,
so I can send text, but only text, to another terminal, but I cannot use
any protocol to send a file because there is no x-on/x-off control (I need
receive for that).

Obviously I cannot even use a modem, as the 'connect' string never comes to
the screen. I don't understand what happened. I tried the continuity of the
cable, and it works, I looked to the contacts inside  the connector slot to
see if some was bent. Shortly, I've tried everything I can think of, and I
think it's not the serial controller's fault. Usually if they stop working
they do not send either.

I must say I had some problems after trying qfax 1.08, interrupting fax
file creation corrupted my 2M sram card filesystem. But I tried even
without any sram card in the slots. So I don't think it's qfax's fault
(even if I wonder why this happened). So I ask your help.

As usual, I end by saying what I'm using on my poqet now:
        mostly qedit (great!);
        MacLink Plus (DataViz), to transfer files to the mac (no, it's not
                                MacLink's fault, I tried PoqetTalk and other
                                comm progs too);
        FoxBase Plus            really good
        123 v. 2.1 Italian      works very well, I really don't need this much
                                power, I would prefer something more compact
                                and less demanding;
        faxer                   more or less works;
        PoqetUtilities          to convert files, I'm trying to use sched.c
                                on my unix box (I grep the name of the person
                                onto a temporary file, then I run sched on it --
                                I would prefer a cleaner solution for that...
        vidclock                I don't like wearing a watch, so I need this on
                                the first line; useful and unobtrusive;
        shhh.com                got on compuserve; to ask the poqet to be quiet;
        ls, mv, page            unix-like commands (to feel 'at /home');
        vr                      vertical reader, to save paper; the only thing
                                that helps me bear proofreading text on the
                                Poqet...;
        convert                 from the Hijaak package; to convert graphic
                                formats
        lxpic                   renamed pic, better than z.exe.

Than about the student with the poqet. It depends. I love the thing. Touch
typing and plain standard dos is everything I need on such a little
machine. I'm a macintosh inclined person, but I love writing on something
without fancy effects -- just plain text, in total silence (shhh! -- no
fans!). But I know, everyone loves GUIs today, I think she should try to
use dos for a short while before getting a new Poqet. It asks for a little
customization in the first days. So understanding dos is needed.
I wrote four complete reports for an European Union reasearch (around 1,000
pages) and managed the group (meetings and so on).

Ciao from Italy.
        Carlo

Carlo Bertelli - Istituto di Storia dell'architettura
                 Facolta` di Architettura dell'Universita` di Genova
                 Stradone S. Agostino, 37      Genova (Italy)
                 tel. 39 10 209 5835            fax 39 10 209 5838
e-mail: bertelli@xxxxxxxx

Re: Poqet sram to laptop? by KEVIN BELTON <kbbelton@xxxxxxxx>

From: KEVIN BELTON <kbbelton@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poqet sram to laptop?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:30:59 -0500 (EST)

> Thanks to all for the feedback I've gotten on my screen problem. Has anyone
> had experience taking a pcmcia sram card from a Poqet and trying to read it
> in a laptop?
> Regards,
> Sascha Brodsky

   As long as the RAM card was formatted on the Poqet, I've always been able
to use them (for reading and writing) both on the Poqet and the laptop.
I've had no success formatting the card on a (DOS 6.2x) laptop and then using
it back on the Poqet.  Evidently, most laptop PCMCIA drivers are backward-
compatible enough to use cards formatted in the Poqet's old style, but don't
by-default format them that way...

   Just format the card on the Poqet, and you should be fine using it on the
laptop as well :^)

--
Kevin B. Belton  kbbelton@xxxxxxxx

Re: problems with serial port and so on by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problems with serial port and so on
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:24:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Carlo Bertelli wrote:
>         shhh.com                got on compuserve; to ask the poqet to be quiet;

That program has been shared before.   I have found it to weaken the
power management software (that's what causes the noise), so I would not
recommend using it.

Domingo

Re: Brainstorming and Update by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Brainstorming and Update
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:47:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997 bmoy@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> The question is: how can one duplicate a
> specialized modifier key?  The question is also
> extended to the regular modifier keys such as Alt,
> Ctrl, and Shift.  And... is it possible to
> relocate them.

Interest in programming for the Poqet has been almost nonexistent, all
least since I joined this list close to a year ago.   I pursued a
fleeting dream of finding/creating a program to overcome the problem of
certain programs defeating power management on the Poqet, but not much
luck (I am not a programmer.   I just convinced some people to try to
help).   Recently there have been some new hints on the power management
problem, and two new folks here are confessed ex-Poqet company workers
(one is a programmer).   I thought for a second to bother them, but with
the general lack of interest of the more experienced folks, plus my Poqet
developing the infamous crack, I guess my early enthusiasm has greatly
diminished.  I now limit myself to try to help newbies, and use my glued
Poqet only for heavy typing.   For more general computing I now use my
new HP200LX.   My Poqet is more pleasant to use, but with all the
programs that don't run well on the Poqet, and the problems above, well .
. .  enough ranting.   I still like my Poqet, I guess I am just a little
disappointed, as above.

Domingo

Re: Brainstorming and Update by Brent B. Powers <powers@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Brent B. Powers" <powers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:14:55 -0500

Domingo Diaz-Vazquez writes:
 > From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
 > To: poqetpc@xxxxxxxx
 > Subject: Re: Brainstorming and Update
 > Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:47:55 -0500 (EST)
 >
 > On Thu, 20 Mar 1997 bmoy@xxxxxxxx wrote:
 > > The question is: how can one duplicate a
 > > specialized modifier key?  The question is also
 > > extended to the regular modifier keys such as Alt,
 > > Ctrl, and Shift.  And... is it possible to
 > > relocate them.
 >
 > Interest in programming for the Poqet has been almost nonexistent, all
 > least since I joined this list close to a year ago.   I pursued a
 > fleeting dream of finding/creating a program to overcome the problem of
 > certain programs defeating power management on the Poqet, but not much
 > luck (I am not a programmer.   I just convinced some people to try to
 > help).   Recently there have been some new hints on the power management
 > problem, and two new folks here are confessed ex-Poqet company workers
 > (one is a programmer).   I thought for a second to bother them, but with
 > the general lack of interest of the more experienced folks, plus my Poqet
 > developing the infamous crack, I guess my early enthusiasm has greatly
 > diminished.  I now limit myself to try to help newbies, and use my glued
 > Poqet only for heavy typing.   For more general computing I now use my
 > new HP200LX.   My Poqet is more pleasant to use, but with all the
 > programs that don't run well on the Poqet, and the problems above, well .
 > . .  enough ranting.   I still like my Poqet, I guess I am just a little
 > disappointed, as above.
 >
 > Domingo

I'll look around for documents regarding the programming interface,
but I can't promise anything.

If I recall correctly, you can do just about anything through the VNA
interface at int 66h, but there may be a couple of hidden ports to
play around with the NMI.

Bryan, you don't happen to have any of the old Tech Documents, do you?

Re: Brainstorming and Update by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:45:02 -0500

At 9:14am (EST) on 27 Mar 97, "Brent B. Powers" <powers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'll look around for documents regarding the programming interface,
>but I can't promise anything.
>
>If I recall correctly, you can do just about anything through the VNA
>interface at int 66h, but there may be a couple of hidden ports to
>play around with the NMI.
>
>Bryan, you don't happen to have any of the old Tech Documents, do you?

While I was at Fujitsu, I had the documents that I/O port assignments.
When I left, I didn't think of bringing them with me (since I hadn't
planned on starting  the Web site).

I have been kicking myself for not taking those documents with me.

All of the INT66h stuff is in the Tech Reference Manual, which is already
on the Web site (well, most of it is, anyway).

Re: problems with serial port and so on by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:45:00 -0500

At 11:39pm on 26 Mar 97, bertelli@xxxxxxxx (Carlo Bertelli) wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm having a strange problem with my Poqet classic. I cannot use the serial
>connection anymore. To be more precise, the receive signal is not detected,
>so I can send text, but only text, to another terminal, but I cannot use
>any protocol to send a file because there is no x-on/x-off control (I need
>receive for that).

[...]

This sounds like a problem that was common on early Poqet PC Primes, but
didn't seem to show up much on Classics.  Static electricity can blow the
serial drivers.  The serial drivers are responsible for converting the
normal CMOS voltages of +3v/0v to the +9v/-9v required for RS-232
communications).

If you are charged and you accidentaly touch the expansion port, the static
electricity can damage the chip that does the voltage conversion.  The only
known way of fixing this is to replace the damaged chip.

Early Primes had a chip that was very susceptible to static electricity
damage.  Classics and later Primes didn't seem to show this problem as
much, but damage of the serial port through static electricity is possible.

Sorry for the bad news...

Re: Brainstorming and Update by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:45:05 -0500

At 12:04pm (EST) on 20 Mar 97, bmoy@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>Hi All!
>
>Got a couple of questions:
>
>In working with different laptops, I find that
>each have different specialized keys, for
>instance, the Poqet has a "Poqet" key.  My
>Bondwell and Zeos Contenda uses a "Fn" key,
>although they are different.  I know they are
>different because I cannot access a Bondwell TSR
>on the Contenda.
>
>The question is: how can one duplicate a
>specialized modifier key?  The question is also
>extended to the regular modifier keys such as Alt,
>Ctrl, and Shift.  And... is it possible to
>relocate them.

[...]

The "Poqet Key" does not have a scan code, like the rest of the keys do.
The Poqet key is tied directly to a bit in an I/O port.  The Poqet BIOS
traps keyboard events and looks to see if the Poqet Key is down.  If it is,
it then checks to see if one of the Poqet Key combinations is being
pressed, and if so, it takes appropriate action (changing screen contrast,
etc.).  If the Poqet Key is not pressed, or it's not a valid Poqet Key
combination, then the BIOS passes control to the normal keyboard handler.

Alt, Ctrl, and Shift could be "relocated" or "duplicated" by writing a new
BIOS keyboard handler.  There's nothing Poqet-specific about this.  To
relocate the Poqet Key, however, you'd have to know the I/O port where the
state of the Poqet Key is kept.  I used to have that information, but I
don't any more (I didn't take it with me when I left Poqet).

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009