From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n092
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 02:02:00 -0500 (EST)

Russell,

Yours was the first reference I've seen to Sharp pocket computers when
you mentioned your Sharp 3000. I was just given a Sharp 1500 with an
attached pocket printer, in a custom case from Sharp, and even with a manual.

What is this little beast good for ? Would you have any interest in it ?
(All swaps considered more fun than cash!).

For a college student who is going to be doing wordprocessing, at home
and in class, even the Poqet's keyboard (the best of any of the palmtops)
is really inadequate. Probably the better compromise is an (even older!)
Tandy Model 100 or 102 with a full size keyboard, readable display, and
capable of using a standard serial and almost standard (and always
cheaply available) printer cable. It's battery life is also great (20
hours on penlights, AC adapter cheaply available (about $10) and hundreds
of hours on D cells. Durable enough for NBC and the CIA (by history).
Instant on (no boot process). The only rub is mass storage, and that is
possible via cable to PC (which you wind up doing with a Poqet often
anyhow) or to common cassette recorder (slow)(disk drives were available,
but now hard to find). Weighs about 4 lbs. Can often be found for $50,
more or less.

Accessories available from Radio Shark (or even generically)n and not
expensive. While not a pocket/Poqet computer, at the size of a notebook
(literally) it easily fits and totes in a regular sack/backpack/briefcase.

I have a Poqet as well as a dozen desktops and a Tandy M100 as well. I
love them all. For a college student, the old M100 makes the most sense
in the price and weight range.

Also, a better alternative, if you gotta have a palmtop, to the
Prolinear, is the Dauphin, by French IBM. 4 megs ram, WINDOWS 3.1, pencil
pointer instead of mouse, useable keyboard (almost as good as Poqets),
better display than Poqet, standard 1.44 external floppy, 486SX processor,
and I've seen them offerred new for about $600, or for $800 with 8 megs
ram (and also maybe built in modem). That is likely a better bargain than
any of the new WINDOWS CE devices with chicklet key keyboards.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Poqet file transfer questions. by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet file transfer questions.
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:36:57 -0600

This is a message from Eric Tanenbaum <tanenb@xxxxxxxx>.  He had
problems posting to the list, and he asked me to post it for him.

Re: poqet by Sabrodsky@xxxxxxxx

From: Sabrodsky@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: poqet
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:21:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi. Well I've taken the plunge and ordered a Poqet and 1 meg card from
California Digital. Anyone know where I can find a Wordperfect rom card and a
floppy drive?

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009