From: Russell Lewis <RUSSELLLEWIS@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Case for the Poqet
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:26:46 -0500 (EST)

Anna Blade writes:

> If you get the Poqet for her, see if you can find a "The Traveler" by
> St. Dennis. Great leather case with room for Poqet and extra batteries
> after you take out the wallet insert.

Anna, that sounds like a nice little case.

Concerning cases, I recently purchased a case from a place in Tucson AZ
called "The Pouch."  They make cases for all sorts of equipment and will
custom-make a case to the dimensions you want.  The cases are made of
neoprene (the stuff that wet-suits are made of) on the outside.  The
part next to your body is made of nylon.  There is a small pocket (for
SRAM cards, etc) on the side of the case that goes next to your body.
The case is closed at the top (the computer goes into the case
length-wise) with either a strap or a flap.

On the back of the case is a vertical strap that is held together by a
clip.  You use the strap as a belt-loop by undoing the clip and
threading the strap under your belt and then snapping the clip. This is
a great way to go walking with your Poqet and still have your hands
free.  The biggest drawback is that you will look like the
quintessential nerd.  But then, if you are using a Poqet in the first
place, you are probably already somewhat of a nerd.

The price for the one with the flap is $21.00 plus shipping.  The case
costs a little less if you get a strap closure instead of a flap, but it
doesn't protect the top of the case from the elements. You can also have
the case made with D-rings and a shoulder strap instead of a belt loop.

I had a case made for my Sharp PC-3000, so if you order one, you can ask
for a case that will fit the Sharp PC-3000.  (The form-factor of the
Sharp and the Poqet are almost identical.)

The service is quite good.  I ordered my case on Monday and got it in
the mail on Friday.  The phone number for The Pouch is: 800-72POUCH

Russell
(Longview TX)

InfoSelect by Russell Lewis <RUSSELLLEWIS@xxxxxxxx>

From: Russell Lewis <RUSSELLLEWIS@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: InfoSelect
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:26:53 -0500 (EST)

Domingo writes,

> I have found my Poqet to be very useful, specially in connection with
> InfoSelect, a free form database program.   There are several similar
> programs on SimTel, but this commercial program allows you to have
> stacked notes all over your screen, and the instant search feature is
> second to none, specially since can type any random information in any
> random way, and still find it instantly.  It is great for libray
> reseach.   It will set you back about $70, though

You may be able to find InfoSelect in the used software market for less
money.  There is a chain of stores called Cyber Exchange that is a gold
mine for those of us looking for older and first edition DOS software.
They have a Web site at www.cyberexchange.com where you can search their
catalogue.

Someone had mentioned that version 1.0 of InfoSelect will work better on
the Poqet than 2.0.  It seems to be the case that it is the earlier
versions of most software that often works better on the Poqet.

Russell
(Longview TX)

Re: InfoSelect by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: InfoSelect
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 09:43:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Russell Lewis wrote:
> Someone had mentioned that version 1.0 of InfoSelect will work better on
> the Poqet than 2.0.  It seems to be the case that it is the earlier

I would be interested to know in what way.   I use version 2.0 with no
problem.

Domingo

poqet by Sabrodsky@xxxxxxxx

From: Sabrodsky@xxxxxxxx
Subject: poqet
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:11:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi. I've just joined this list because I'm in the market for a Poqet.
Currently, I own an Omnibook 300 but I'm looking for something smaller to aid
my work as a journalist in New York City.
Regards to all.

RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n090 by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n090
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:13:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, mary maruszewski wrote:
> Hello and thank you to all for their valuable input. I'm still kind of
> on the fence about this, but I'm leaning toward a used Prolinear,
> (if I can find one). The battery life is only about 10 hours but it
> does have an adapter. It comes loaded with MS Works, (DOS
> version I believe) which I am familiar with. There is an XT and a
> 386 version. But used machines are tough to find. I'd be willing
> to risk the Poqet if I could do full word processsing on it, but
> I'm probably not capable of tinkering with the hardware too
> much.

If you know how to get on the internet to post this message, and if you
know how to use MsWorks, then I think you are capable of setting up a
Poqet (my wife is still scared of MsWorks, and she couldn't send an
e-mail to save her life.  And She has a masters in english, so she is no
dummy).  The worst thing you might have to deal with is figuring out the
serial cable, but that's the case no matter which palmtop you get (I have
two, so I know what I am saying).  The easiest thing is to buy a pcmcia
card drive, so you can use your SRAM cards like floppies.  If you are shy
of hardware, you can get someone to install it for you.  But once it is
on, it is the same as using a floppy (no sweat).
You will need an SRAM card, any way you look at it (they are pretty cheap
nowadays).
I cannot say for sure, but I have seen several USENET posts to the effect
that the Prolinears have weak construction.  And except for the hinge
problem, the Poqet's seem rather sturdy (I fixed mine with crazy glue,
and it seems to be holding fine for now).

> Plus, if I gotta drop around $300 to make it workable,
> maybe I should save up, pop a little more, go searching for
> a Prolinear. Tough call.

Weight the pros and the cons, then make a decision.  Of the larger
palmtops, I think you cannot go wrong with the Poqet (I have learned that
all palmtops suffer some weakness or other on the display).   But if
battery life is not an issue, I would recommend a Toshiba Libretto 50.
Battery life is not too good, but it runs Win95 in a machine somewhat
smaller than the Poqet.  And I keep hearing that it will be released in
the USA this summer or so (right now it is Japan only).  But they do cost
close to one grand.

> Mary

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009