From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n086
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:22:35 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Michael Fetterman wrote:
> I'd guess that DoubleDos would have no problem doubletasking in the Poqet.

If you mean the program from Simtel, it did not work for me.   I use a
simple program from there called MC.   What it does is split memory into
partitions for task switching purposes.  It is very fast, even on the
Poqet, but it is limited by available memory.

Domingo

P.S. I have never tried Dosshell on the Poqet, but the program is huge,
the swap files not small, and I don't know if it would work with Dos
3.30.  I use it regularly on my HP200LX

Mary, her student, and the Poqet by AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx

From: AnnaBlade@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Mary, her student, and the Poqet
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:27:10 -0500 (EST)

Hello Mary.

I, and probably everybody else here, love our Poqets and enjoy talking
about what we do with them. It's great to have you here, looking at the
possibility of buying one.

My daughter chose a dedicated word processor when she went to college. It
weighed a ton and sounded like a machine gun when it printed (with a daisy
wheel), but it got the job done. She's a graduate student now and uses a
Mac. She has never been interested in DOS utilities or in writing batch
files. She just wants the thing to do what she tells it to do, seamlessly.

As Bill said, there are several inexpensive computers out there, and I've
seen that the dedicated word processors are much improved. But to my mind,
there's nothing quite like the Poqet. In the Poqet you have a real DOS,
8086, computer that will run for about a month on a couple of AA batteries.

But as Bill said, your real cost is more like Poqet + cables + a couple of
1 meg ram cards. For me that was 189 + 69 + 178 + shipping = 449.87. Am I
happy I did that? Yes! I love the thing. However, I keep thinking I should
buy another one for when the display fails. Maybe I'll do that. Several
people who write to this list have more than one Poqet for that reason.

Now, if you buy the Poqet, here is what I love using on it:
          Qedit          text editor by SemWare - don't use TSE, same
                         company, it disables power management.
          ShareSpell
          List           file manager
          Grep           finds text in files
          Calc           a tiny command line calculator
          Lync           a communications program

I don't know how "dos y" your daughter is, but very much can be done with
these basic programs if she's interested in writing a few batch files.

The main ingredient here on this list is that most of us rely on having a
second computer to write files to, or to print through.  There are several
ways to do that. One, and the best one I think, is to move the memory cards
to another computer for backup. Two is to use the cables to transfer files
to another computer. Three is to (somehow) get your hands on a parallel
cable and print directly from the Poqet.

For a college student, the ability to write to a diskette and use the files
in the computer lab or in a friend's computer is solid gold. Doing that
with a Poqet takes some considerable thinking ahead. Again, I'm trying to
construe your daughter's motivation. If one of you has a computer to use as
go-between, no problem.

If you get the Poqet for her, see if you can find a "The Traveler" by St.
Dennis. Great leather case with room for Poqet and extra batteries after
you take out the wallet insert.

Anna

Re: Newbie by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Newbie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:31:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, mary maruszewski wrote:
> 	Bryan tells me that there is a student on this list...if it would
> not be too much trouble, I would value any comments re: how you
> use your PoqetPC for school.

I have found my Poqet to be very useful, specially in connection with
InfoSelect, a free form database program.   There are several similar
programs on SimTel, but this commercial program allows you to have
stacked notes all over your screen, and the instant search feature is
second to none, specially since can type any random information in any
random way, and still find it instantly.  It is great for libray
reseach.   It will set you back about $70, though

Domingo

RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n090 by mary maruszewski <mweishan@xxxxxxxx>

From: mary maruszewski <mweishan@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n090
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 00:15:42 -0600

Hello and thank you to all for their valuable input. I'm still kind of
on the fence about this, but I'm leaning toward a used Prolinear,
(if I can find one). The battery life is only about 10 hours but it
does have an adapter. It comes loaded with MS Works, (DOS
version I believe) which I am familiar with. There is an XT and a
386 version. But used machines are tough to find. I'd be willing
to risk the Poqet if I could do full word processsing on it, but
I'm probably not capable of tinkering with the hardware too
much. Plus, if I gotta drop around $300 to make it workable,
maybe I should save up, pop a little more, go searching for
a Prolinear. Tough call.
Mary

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009