From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Subject: RE: bmoy@xxxxxxxx opinions
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 10:06:42 -0600 (CST)

     I'd take what Bill said with a grain of salt.  Your plan of investing
$189 ($201 w/shipping) for a DOS-based Palmtop with a touch-typable
keyboard, and enough shareware software to meet most any need - certainly
that of a student mainly using it for WP and scheduling, is good, but you'll
need approximately $100 in accessories..

     Asides from the outrageous price difference between the Prolinear and
Poqet, the Prolinear doesn't match the Poqet's phenomenal battery life - 100
hours on two AA's, says Fujitsu, reality says 50-70.

     Type I SRAM cards are NOT difficult to find, nor expensive.  I've
purchased a couple used, and a couple new.  Last I checked, CA Digital was
selling 1mb SRAM for $79, which is a tad high.  Check comp.sys.pen,
comp.sys.palmtops, and comp.sys.handhelds for used SRAM.  You DO have to
make sure they're 3v cards, not 5v.

     I wasn't aware of a third party making a parallel cable, but I suppose
it's possible.  Both the serial and parallel cables are way overpriced, and
hard to find.

     It IS possible to make a serial cable, if you can use a soldering iron
and your imagination.  The interface on the Poqet is a double sided edge
connector, approximately 1.5 inches long, with a vertical bar so it can't be
plugged in upside-down.  There are (I think) 50 connectors per side.
Fortunately, you only need to connect three (ground, Transmit, and Receive),
all of which are on top, close together, on each side of the vertical bar.
I made one before Bryan sold me a Poqet to RS-232 connector.  What I did was
take a piece of blank circuit board, carefully measure the slot size and
vertical bar position, cut to fit, then took insulated copper wire,
flattened it slightly, and epoxyed three pieces in the appropriate places.
The pin-out is available on Bryan Masons site.  I then connected the three
leads to a DB-9, and voila!  It takes care and precision to make, but isn't
difficult by any means.

    Getting a serial connector, and using it to transfer WP documents to a
PC via serial transfer, and printing from the PC is a good option.  You can
also use SRAM cards in many Notebooks with PCMCIA slots, or a PCMCIA card
reader for a PC is available from CA Digital for (I think) $150.

    So, total, if you just buy a Poqet and a serial cable, your investment
will be about $280.  You'll want an SRAM card (you'd want one on a Prolinear
also!) for data storage, say another $60 new, perhaps $40 used for a 1mb
card.  This brings you over $300.  You could buy a low-end notebook for
that, which would have serial/parallel ports and a HDD.  Of course, battery
life would be under four hours, most likely.

    Add up the pro's and cons.   I'd say the Poqet is a winner.

Jay

Brainstorming and Update by bmoy@xxxxxxxx

From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Brainstorming and Update
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:04:37 -0500

Hi All!

Got a couple of questions:

In working with different laptops, I find that
each have different specialized keys, for
instance, the Poqet has a "Poqet" key.  My
Bondwell and Zeos Contenda uses a "Fn" key,
although they are different.  I know they are
different because I cannot access a Bondwell TSR
on the Contenda.

The question is: how can one duplicate a
specialized modifier key?  The question is also
extended to the regular modifier keys such as Alt,
Ctrl, and Shift.  And... is it possible to
relocate them.

One thing that I would love to do is switch the
"Poqet" key with the "/?" key so that you don't
have to do the hand stretch thing.  Don't you
think this is a worthwhile idea?

Other idea work-arounds are to have a dedicated
Home, PgUp, PgDn, and End keys.  One idea was that
if the NumLk key is activated ALL "Blue" keys
would activated, not just the embedded numeric
keypad. This idea is just *okay* because you still
have to so the hand-stretch thing for activating
NumLk, "Poqet-F10", although it's slightly easier
than "Poqet-End". Perhaps programming ScrLk
(without "Poqet") to reverse Blue keys might be
better.

Another idea would be to program "Poqet"-E, X, S,
D to mean Home, End, PgUp, PgDn respectively
(isn't this the way WordStar works?)

Any solutions (suggestions, work-arounds, leads,
feedback, gossip!) would greatly be appreciated.

***************************************

By the way, I was able to successfully install the
disk compression program SuperStor V2.0 on the
Poqet and I also rediscovered a program (it came
packaged with my Bondwell) that extends the 512K
ram (!!!) by paging EMS memory, it's called Above
DISC V.3. Only with this was I able to run
Windows3.0 with SuperStor.  Right now, my Poqet is
running with two compressed SRAMs totaling over
8Mb storage (uh... supposedly.)

Details will be posted after I run it for a while
to report any bugs and if anyone is interested.

Advance thanks to all!!	-Bill

Re: Newbie -Reply by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Newbie -Reply
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:45:49 -0800

Bill has some very valid points -- even though the Poqet used technology
that was advanced at the time, the Poqet is a very old machine.  If you get
one, you'll probably have to tinker with it a bit.  With the newer machines
that run Windows CE and have more standard PCMCIA slots, you won't have to
tweak it as much.  However, I do feel inclined to comment on some things:

>Still, although Poqet is priced at $189 from
>California Digital, you'll still need to get the
>cable (separately charged! at $69 or $79, I think;
>I felt betrayed here because the original package
>included the cable!)

Yes, but the original package also cost $2,995.

>If you're on the net, try searching Prolinear and
>Windows CE.

I don't know much about the Prolinear, but my understanding is that the
battery life is quite short (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

I also think that the WinCE machines are pretty good, but all the ones I've
seen have the HP-100LX style "chicklet" keyboards.  I haven't seen one that
you could touch-type on (again, my knowledge is somehwat limited, if anyone
can correct me on this, please do so).  The nice thing about the WinCE
machines, though, is that they do include a pointing device (a pen), which
make them easier to use, in my opinion.  And, of course, I understand that
they're better at sharing information with a desktop computer.

Just my 2 cents.

-- Bryan

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n089 by Rev. M.A. Cobb <revcobb@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Rev. M.A. Cobb" <revcobb@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n089
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:18:46 -0500

poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
> Windows CE.
>
> One more option is to check out computer
> newspapers like 'Processor' that list many
> different kinds of previously owed laptop and
> subnotebooks,  I picked up a 486 Zeos Contenda
> Subnotebook for around $400, it still works fine.
>
> Hope this helps, I'll be interested to hear
> what you've decided!    -Bill
>
> --------------- END poqetpc.v001.n089 ---------------
>
> * POQET PC LIST SUBSCRIBERS:  When replying to digest messages,
> * make sure that the "To:" field in your reply is set correctly.
> * Some mail readers will automatically send your reply to
> * <PoqetPC-Errors@xxxxxxxx>.  If you want to reply to the
> * sender of the message or to the entire maililng list, you
> * will have to adjust the "To:" field of your reply.
> *
> * If you wish to reply to the entire mailing list, set the "To:"

	UNSUBSCRIBE
--
God Bless!
In His Service, Rev. M.A. Cobb