  1. Newbie by mary maruszewski <mweishan@xxxxxxxx>
  2. Newbie -Reply by bmoy@xxxxxxxx

Digest Articles

Newbie by mary maruszewski <mweishan@xxxxxxxx>

From: mary maruszewski <mweishan@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Newbie
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:23:08 -0600

Hello All,
	I do not yet own a PoqetPC...but have been doing
much research before making my purchase. Bryan has been
a big help.
	I'm looking to buy one for my daughter who just started
college. She's looking to replace her paper organizer and do some
word processing. I've been in touch with CaDigital also.
	CA Digital said that the serial cable is proprietary but that
the parallel cable is not. Does that mean that my current printer
cables will work?
	Bryan tells me that there is a student on this list...if it would
not be too much trouble, I would value any comments re: how you
use your PoqetPC for school.
	I'll probably put in my order by Friday latest. It appears to be
just what we need - big enough to have a useable keyboard yet small
and light enough for a backpack.
	Any and all comments and feedback much welcome.
Looking forward to figuring all this out :)
Mary

Newbie -Reply by bmoy@xxxxxxxx

From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Newbie -Reply
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:54:08 -0500

Sender: poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx

[...]

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hello Mary!

My name is Bill, and I just received your message.
 You know the Poqet is nice but as far as
performance goes, there's a lot out there that can
do much more! ... ... only because Poqet is old, I
mean 'old!' architecture - a modified 8088. it
also has a further severe limitation of having
only 512K ram.  For only a few bucks more you can
get something that can do a lot more.  Please
check out Proliner Corp  (hold on, I'll get the
number...)  800-830-5977 or 818-821-1881 or Fax:
818-821-1869.  They offer a V30HL (a 286
compatible) with 1MB RAM for $585 or a TRUE 386
(actually a 80386SXLV - 25Mhz) Palmtop!!  The nice
thing about this is that they are comparable to
the Poqet in size and weight and they offer
standard serial and parallel ports; also both
comes with MS-DOS 5.0, MS Works (word processor,
spreadsheet, database), and a PIM, Personal
Information Manager!!!  The 386 will set you back
around 8 or $900.

Still, although Poqet is priced at $189 from
California Digital, you'll still need to get the
cable (separately charged! at $69 or $79, I think;
I felt betrayed here because the original package
included the cable!) a SRAM card-Type I (not
widely available and not cheap either!) and the
external 1.4Mb external drive is practically
non-existent or extremely hard to find.  To top it
off, Fujitsu is NOT supporting the Poqet PC any
longer!!!  Thank God for Brian and his web site
for his great third party support!  (Thanks,
Brian...)

Prolinear has been out for some time, but don't
forget to check out the new hand-helds that
operate on a slimmed down Windows operating system
called Windows CE.  These all come with Compact
Editions of Word and Excel plus more.  I've seen
prices quoted around 6 though 7 hundred.  One's
about to come out with a full SVGA compatible
screen (maybe by Sharp, not sure) so that there's
less scrolling left and right for internet stuff.

It may seem that I'm knocking the Poqet (and I
guess I am) but I and others have done wonders
with it, like getting Windows to run on 512K! but
I'm a tinkerer and I think your daughter would
probably have other things she'd rather be doing.
But if you or your daughter are tinkerers, or
minimalists, or bent (like me!) the Poqet PC is
too cute!...

If you're on the net, try searching Prolinear and
Windows CE.

One more option is to check out computer
newspapers like 'Processor' that list many
different kinds of previously owed laptop and
subnotebooks,  I picked up a 486 Zeos Contenda
Subnotebook for around $400, it still works fine.

Hope this helps, I'll be interested to hear
what you've decided!	-Bill

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009